PDA

View Full Version : AK Mags?

P99AS9
May 1, 2008, 07:19 PM
I just bought myself a nice new Lancaster AK and it only came with 1 mag. I am looking to buy some more but I'm not sure what the best is. I heard on a couple of reveiws that steel mags are the best, but some reviews like the polymer. Any suggestions?

joeb
May 1, 2008, 08:18 PM
I would suggest using what it was designed to use(military) avoiding aftermarket mags.

HorseSoldier
May 1, 2008, 09:40 PM
AIM currently has Bulgarian steel mags for $12.99 or so. I bought a couple, expecting used mags needing some cleaning and work, but got new in plastic mags that run like a charm right out of the wrapper.

ISC
May 1, 2008, 10:08 PM
you should be able to find steel mags for $10 ea in vg-exc cond.

polymer waffle mags go for a little more. Bulgaria made military issue waffle mags that have a great reputation. the latest batch of us waffles don't have such a great reputation.

I prefer the chinese (steel mags) because the rib of the Euro pattern mags can be uncomfortable when it digs into you and can snag slightly when inserting/removing them from nylon mag pouches.

When I carried an AK I used a waffle mag in the rifle and kept loaded steel mags in a chest pouch. I don't know if they'd stop a round, but they would offer some protection from shrapnel.

King Ghidora
May 1, 2008, 10:39 PM
I have 4 Hungarian 30 round steel mags that I'd like to sell. I'd take $10 each for them and I'll throw in an original East German canvas carry bag that holds all of the mags for another $15. I paid $20 for the bag and $15 for the mags but I sold my AK and it doesn't look like I'll be getting another any time soon.

I did file a small amount off the tabs on some of the mags because my AK didn't fit exactly right. They should be no problem for you and if they are I'll take them back.

I'd ask you to pay the actual shipping and I'll accept Paypal. I'm located in Ohio.

I also have a receiver cover with a rail on it.. I'd take $15 for it. It broke after I bought it (the rail came off) so I had it welded back on. It won't break again.

CGSteve8718
May 1, 2008, 11:14 PM
Just as long as you stay away from US made mags (unless you absolutely need them for compliance, which shouldn't be your case), all European or Chinese military surplus steel mags will work fine.

The Chinese mags are sort of collectible now, so they will run at a higher price. I would just go to the usual online retailers like AIM, CDNN, or CTD to get their "Combloc", "Soviet", or "European", or "Russian" (most likely not Russian, but "Russian" is a big marketing ploy).

The Bulgarian polymer mags are good quality, but there may be some fit issues in different receivers. Steel mags would be less finicky. Your AKM is most likely a G kit built using a US receiver. I've had fit issues with the polymer mags on a true Romanian receiver, and an Egyptian receiver. YMMV.

B. Lahey
May 1, 2008, 11:19 PM
I've heard the Bulgarian plastic ones are ok, but I like the steel ones. They are cheap and beefy. If you had to carry them, the plastic ones may be lighter, but the longest hike I ever take with my AK is from my car to the firing line of the range.

enstorm
May 4, 2008, 11:04 AM
I have several surplus ak 47 mags, steel and polymer, Bulgarian, Romanian, Polish. The Bularian polymers in 30 and 40 round have worked very well for me in my polish underfolder, waffle and "bullet" style. I really like them and would recommend them over steel as they won't rust (or come to you in the mail that way...) and seem to be almsot unbreakable. Also, for the ak-74 I have several new and used east German and Bulgarian polymer mags that work well, but there have been a few that never quite fed right. The steel ak47 mags are fine too but again look for rust. I have no US made ak mags but if they are anything like aftermarket mini 14 mags, you will be disappointed