PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Holster Opinions

sdkidaho
April 29, 2008, 11:50 PM
I'm looking for an ankle holster for my Springfield Micro. Two that I've seen are the

Galco Ankle Glove (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2528&GunID=326)

and the

Renegade Ankle Holster (http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=35) Found the number to purchase direct here (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2699145&postcount=8).

Just wondering what any of your opinions are on these two holsters. Thanks.

Playboypenguin
April 29, 2008, 11:55 PM
I personally find ankle holsters to be one of the worst ideas around when it comes to concealed carry.

UniversalFrost
April 30, 2008, 12:25 AM
yes, not really a good option, but the galco beats the renegade hands down.

I used to carry a snubby detective in 38 and it was annoying at best. foreget about it and just look into a nice IWB tuckable holster.

sdkidaho
April 30, 2008, 05:00 PM
I always wear a shirt that tucks in - I don't wear a shirt or jacket over that, so how can I wear an IWB and keep it concealed? That was my reasoning for the ankle holster.

Playboypenguin
April 30, 2008, 05:15 PM
I don't wear a shirt or jacket over that, so how can I wear an IWB and keep it concealed?
Buy a tuckable IWB holster. Ankle holsters are uncomfortable, hard to access, and can be downright dangerous IMHO.

Boris Bush
April 30, 2008, 06:40 PM
I would have to agree with PBP. It might be convenient to carry there, but what about when you need to use it? An example if I may. Carry your wallet on you ankle for the next month. I am serious, do it. It will be a pain in the rear........... You might not need to use your pistol everyday, but why put it in a place that is hard to get at and can not be drawn discretly of quickly?

The only way I would cary ankle style is if I decided to carry a 3rd gun and needed to have a quick draw while tying my shoes.. :rolleyes:

Stiofan
April 30, 2008, 07:38 PM
Explain to the 60% of America how you get a comfortable fit in a IWB holster? Do you people always see everything from your own points of view?

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm138/StiofanGA/160_obese_061114.jpg

DMacLeod
April 30, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hey Stiofan, what did you take a picture of me in my truck???:D
I am rather "big boned" and carry IWB with a milt sparks executive. It is the most comfortable holster I've ever used.

UniversalFrost
April 30, 2008, 09:23 PM
well, i resembled that picture a few months ago until i got off my lazy rear and started working out again (power 90 program).

and if an IWB is uncomfortable for you then try an SOB that you can use IWB tuckable. I managed to carry a Berretta 92FS or 96 and sometimes a 1911 commander with no problems. Just a little uncomfortable when in a car seat.

or for a small j frame type of a seecamp just put it in your pocket.

sdkidaho
April 30, 2008, 11:31 PM
Buy a tuckable IWB holster. Ankle holsters are uncomfortable, hard to access, and can be downright dangerous IMHO.

What is a tuckable IWB? I know that IWB means Inner Waist Band, but haven't ever seen the one being labled as tuckable. Do you have an example that I could see maybe?

and if an IWB is uncomfortable for you then try an SOB that you can use IWB tuckable.

What is an SOB?

Sorry guys, I'm new to conceal and carry so I don't know all the terms just yet. I'm 5'9" and hover around 180 lbs - so the picture above doesn't exactly depict what I look like. Again, I just figured since I didn't wear an overshirt or something that would hang loosely and cover the gun that the ankle holster was the way to go - any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

I can definitely see how getting it out to use quickly would be a pain in the rear from an ankle holster but it would certainly be concealed well.

sdkidaho
April 30, 2008, 11:37 PM
Maybe I answered one of my questions. Is this what you mean by a tuckable IWB:

High Noon Holsters (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/In_The_News/_Bob_Arganbright___Sky_High_Re/_Walt_Rauch/Michael_King/_Roy_Huntington_/tim_schmidt.html)

UniversalFrost
April 30, 2008, 11:41 PM
small of the back = SOB

and tuckable IWB is one that allows you to tuck in your shirt around the gun and the waist band.

FIST and others make these tuckable types. The link you provided is exactly what I described.

also, if you have rolls or love handles then you need to learn how to get off your rear and lose it, but in the mean time dress accordingly to conceal the best or buy a pocket type gun.

JOE

Stiofan
April 30, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hey Stiofan, what did you take a picture of me in my truck???
I am rather "big boned" and carry IWB with a milt sparks executive. It is the most comfortable holster I've ever used.

Hey, it was hard enough finding a decent photo without it being too extreme. Try googling images for "overweight man" and see what one comes up with! I personally have never been comfortable with a IWB holster, even before I put on the extra 20 lbs. Now it's just painful. I use a pocket holster, weakside, but even that is limiting if I wear Wranglers or Levis.

buzz_knox
May 1, 2008, 08:11 AM
Ankle carry is acceptable for a second weapon (if you spend considerable time driving or sitting).

SOB isn't recommended as it poses a risk of back injury if you fall on it. IWB or a high and tight belt holster.

drail
May 1, 2008, 08:09 PM
Ankle holsters are slow, hard to get to, and worst of all expose your gun to large amounts of dust and grit. Find some other way. Small of back holsters are a VERY BAD IDEA.

Erik
May 4, 2008, 04:08 PM
To answer the question, the Renegade.

UniversalFrost
May 4, 2008, 06:18 PM
Small of back holsters are a VERY BAD IDEA.

Care to elaborate on your comment?

I carry off and on in a SOB rig for fullsize and midsize pistols (92fs, 96g, 1911 commander, HK USPc, P239, etc...) and no problems.

As long as you don't fall on your back you will be ok. Same can be said with an OWB or IWB holster. (I carry every way possible and prefer SOB (IWB) for when I have a suit on and OWB would be a no no. Maybe if you did a lot of bending over and ligting then SOB might not be ideal, but still much better than ankle.

JOE

Erik
May 4, 2008, 06:51 PM
"As long as you don't fall on your back you will be ok."

And if you do, you can come to harm ranging from temporary to permanent incapacitation.

And no, it is not the same as with IWB and/or OWB strong side holsters.

Stiofan
May 4, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'd rather not risk a cracked or broken vertebrae, you only have to fall on it once to be in pain for life.

WESHOOT2
May 10, 2008, 01:45 PM
If carrying SOB ensure cover garment is.

If carrying ankle make sure it has a thumb-break or is very securely holding the gun (it should NOT be your primary gun, and IMO&E it shouldn't be your second gun; perfect place for a third gun, though), or it won't (I voted Renegade).

If wearing a gun assume numerous concessions will be required to maintain gun security, concealment, and access.

No one holster can really do all that.

I have holsters for strong-side and weak-side wear, holsters for strong- and weak-hand use, holsters for pocket carry, fanny packs for ultimate concealment (or the appearance of carrying, ay?), exotic specialty holsters for unconventional carry ("How do I carry at the beach?"), and more....

Expensive, isn't it?