PDA

View Full Version : ears protection for home defense

plom
April 27, 2008, 10:47 AM
just wondering if any of you include ears protection in their home defense gear. We often speak about what kind of ammo, gun or shotgun or rifle for home protection, wondering about a good plan to protect the home from invasion or bad guy, we include lights in our guns to see something in the dark, but figure, you're in the dark with your gun, mounted with a flashlight, cell phone in the other hand behind your bed protecting your loved ones, you hear steps and see a thread, you tell him to stop, he doesn't, you fire. the guy fall he is down but now you can't hear nothing. Well for sure you can still see something but how will you react when the police show up if you don't hear them?

gilfo
April 27, 2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think stopping to put on ear protection will come to mind in a SD situation. Plus I think a pre-written note for the police to call your lawyer would be the best thing, if you can't hear them you can't answer any questions and get into trouble.

Capt. Charlie
April 27, 2008, 12:03 PM
It's actually not a bad idea, if you have time. But it's an absolute must that they be electronic muffs and not just ear plugs. Think about it; if you're going to confront an intruder, you'll need all your senses.

Not only that, hearing loss is no fun, trust me. Once you loose your hearing, it's forever.

It's especially a good idea if you're primary defense weapon is a big bore pistol or a centerfire rifle.

A few years ago, I wanted to sight in a scope on my Mini-14. I got to the range (I was the only one there) and it was raining, and the firing line was a muddy mess. So, I got this bright idea to back my pickup up on the firing line and use the bed for a dry platform. (I had a cap on the bed.)

Well, I knew the report would be worse inside the cap, so I had on both plugs and muffs. Believe me, it wasn't near enough. The first shot felt like someone smacked both sides of my head with a hammer! :eek: Even with both plugs & muffs, my ears rang for several days, and I've no doubt that without 'em, it would've blown out both of my eardrums. That was the only shot fired that day ;).

My regular range muffs are Peltor Tac 6's, and they sit beside my bedside gun. Better sitting there than in my range bag ;).

plom
April 27, 2008, 01:03 PM
ouch! a mini 14 inside a cab, that must be pretty nasty! actualy I started to wonder about it when I witnessed an accidental discharge of a shotgun inside a police station!
For sure you must have the time to grab your ears protection and this is not easy when things happen in a hurry, but this should be included in a home defense plan for anybody who plan to use a firearm for home defense.
Some home defense scenario allow you the time to put muffs on your ears when you start to hear strange noises, and the good tactical advantage of electronic muffs is that they increase the surrounding sound!
electronic muffs can be found for not so many $ and should be considered as much as a good flashligt.

Avenger11
April 28, 2008, 07:03 PM
I wear my electronic "ears" to bed every night! They filter out the wife's snoring, yet I can slill hear the tornado sirens! Mine also have built in lights that come on with a snap of the fingers!

tplumeri
April 28, 2008, 07:06 PM
Mine also have built in lights that come on with a snap of the fingers

I have to clap twice with mine.;)

obxned
April 28, 2008, 07:19 PM
Do you really have the time to mess with ear muffs or plugs? Can you afford to hear nearly nothing while your new, univited guest is who knows where planning to do who knows what?

velobard
April 28, 2008, 08:31 PM
ouch! a mini 14 inside a cab, that must be pretty nasty! actualy I started to wonder about it when I witnessed an accidental discharge of a shotgun inside a police station!

Does anyone remember the old Barney Miller episode where they brought in a guy who shot a bazooka inside of a bank during a robbery attempt? :D The robber asked Wojo, "Have you ever heard how loud a bazooka is?" "Yeah, when I was in 'Nam." "Yeah, but indoors?!?"

Some innocent, geeky-looking character had a collection of exotic firearms stolen and they were turning up in a series of crimes.