PDA

View Full Version : Cap and ball Revolvers, How much effect does seating depth have?

Mark B
April 23, 2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe a stupid question but I'm wondering how much different seating depths affect acuracy. With my 1858 .36 if I seat the ball all the way down to the "stop" or the larger point on the seating ram, there is 1/4" or more space from the ball to the chamber mouth. Kinda makes wonder if I'm compressing the load too much (if that's even possible). If I try to seat the ball closer to the chamber mouth, I don't seat each ball to the same depth. I'm using 17grn of Pyrodex.

Does it matter??

long rider
April 23, 2008, 06:36 PM
IN my 36 cal remmy i use 22 grns of real bp
and then i top of with corn meal then the ball
and fin with bees wax and crisco lube walla
big bang lots of smoke.:cool::D

hillbille
April 23, 2008, 06:40 PM
I've been told by guys at the shop, that you want to seat the ball as near the end of the cylindar as possible for best accuracy, I think they to usecorn meal over powder to fill the void. Personally my accuracy with my eyes doesn't matter that much if its seatedon the powder, half way down the cylindar, or out to end of cylindar. A real pro will probubly tell you different though. While I can't split holes on paper every shot I can make a golf ball dance from 25-45 yards, which is good enough for me.

long rider
April 23, 2008, 06:43 PM
I find acuracy good if i get the ball close to the cylinder
mouth, and i find corn meal works good as a filler, i know this
guy he is a master with ROA he works on them and he swears
on corn meal, he uses it all the time, plus hes a dam good shot.:D

Hawg
April 23, 2008, 07:11 PM
Seat it as close to the chamber mouth as you can. I use Pyrodex over a Pyrodex filler to accomplish this.:D

Mark B
April 23, 2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks all
I'll start loading closer to the chamber mouth.
hmm...Mr. Hawg, I like the way you think!!:cool: