PDA

View Full Version : Colt DA 38 US Army model 1901 ??

Standalone
April 21, 2008, 12:05 AM
Ok this one is out of the dust bind. Six inch barrel serial number on the butt is 171407B. 1407 is on the ejector release and the cartouche?. The 6 shot cylinder is marked RAC 3892 P. Says on the barrel Colt PT FA MFG HARTSFORD CONN. The six shooter has some serious wear and is Silver or chromed. Action is tight though. Lower lettering on the barrel below the colt pt fa mfg is there but seems to be filled in by the chorome. It has a plastic or bakelite grips in light brown. I am assuming its considered an antique. You guys think its a keeper.
Thank you.

Bill DeShivs
April 21, 2008, 12:54 AM
Chrome, or any other plating doesn't "fill" areas. The metal underneath looks exactly like what you see on the outside.

Jim Watson
April 21, 2008, 08:21 AM
The steel under the plating was either well worn or buffed too hard, making markings faint.

I would not consider a chrome plated Army to be a "keeper."

Hawg
April 21, 2008, 11:25 AM
I would not consider a chrome plated Army to be a "keeper."

LIkewise.

James K
April 21, 2008, 12:14 PM
You may never know what it looked like before it was chromed, but whoever did it destroyed any collector interest it might have had, plus the cylinder is a mismatch. And that old and rather fragile design is not suitable for a practical shooting gun.

Seems like a wall hanger or trade item if anyone will take it.

Jim

Standalone
April 21, 2008, 05:52 PM
Thank you for the info. I would say the plating did ruin it.My guess it was done about 50 years ago. I wonder if there is a way to remove the old plating from it ? If not guess its history. Much thanks.

Bill DeShivs
April 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
The plating can be removed, but the underlying metal is damaged.

James K
April 21, 2008, 08:46 PM
+1 on that Bill. To plate a blued gun requires removal of the bluing, which is usually done by polishing. Even if done well, that removes metal, blurs markings and in general wrecks the gun for collectors. In too many cases, a gun was plated because it was already rusted or badly worn, and that will show up if the plating is removed.

Plating can be removed by reversing the electroplating process, but I recommend it only for guns that were originally plated but with the plating flaking. The plating can be removed and then either restored (tough) or the gun blued.

Jim