PDA

View Full Version : Barrel swap for 870 Express Super Magnum

Choppercopper
April 18, 2008, 09:06 AM
Good morning,

I'm attempting to "build" my first HD shotgun off of a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum receiver. Before I go to far I was wondering if I could put a barrel with a 2 3/4" chamber on this receiver. It seems as if barrels are much less expensive for 2 3/4" or 3" than those for a 3 1/2" chamber. Obviously, I would prefer not to have the weapon blow up in my face because of putting the wrong barrel on it. I figured it was enough time lurking around the forum and finally sign up. Thank you for your time.

Oli
April 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
From the horse's mouth (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/original_factory_barrels.asp):

NOTE: Model 870 Extra Barrels with 3" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers. These barrels will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells when used on Magnum receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells when these barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers.

same for 2" 3/4 chambered barrel, it will fit but of course you can only use 2" 3/4 shells in it.

Choppercopper
April 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks very much, that's what I assumed, but you know what they say about assuming.