PDA

View Full Version : your opinion is needed , for *new* gun

pafemalegunlover
April 18, 2008, 04:10 AM
Hi all

I have a s&w model 469 9mm. hubby bought used at a gun show. I do really like it, no 'recoil' -i think thats what it is, but it doesn't kick alot. I do like to use it when we go to the range, etc.... but recently, we moved to a 'not so nice area' and my conceal permit carrys over to the new state, from PA to CO.

I am finding it hard to get a soft leather left handed holster for this gun.

so i was looking at a new gun 45 kahm(sp?) but 3 things prevent me from getting this gun, 1. 5 rounds only , 2. no safety, only on trigger has 'hard' pull back, 3. price $700.

the good think i liked about it was the size, still small enough i could put it in my purse or on my hip, and it was a 45 caliber. (more power,errr,errh!!)

anyway, i was wondering if any of you out there, know of a gun that is small, like the above i mentioned, and can carry more rounds.

I am a military spouse, who is alone frequently with our young 5yr old. I perfer to have a safety, ambidexrious please.

thanks everyone for being so patient with me!!!;)

RsqVet
April 18, 2008, 05:08 AM
Hi --- does it have to have a safety?

If not the Sig 239 series is nice, 9mm, 357 sig or 40 cal. Or a compact 220 in 45.

Glocks are great as well but again no safety if you desire one

If you are set on a safety I will not try to tell you you are wrong, it;s your preferance, however keep in mind that a good gun with a long moderate to heavy trigger pull (similar to a revolver almost none of which have safeties) in a holster with no safety is just fine for many people and it removes one more thing that you can "forget" to do if you need the gun out and ready to fire under stress.

As for a gun with a safety... have you considered a Heckler and Koch USP compact? They can be had in 9mm, 40, 45, hold more rounds but bigger, though not huge, nice guns.

There are any number of other smith and wesson autos to pick from as well, that would ahve safeties, there are few new as smith is moving to the M+P line, however offten can be found used and economical as they are police trade in guns.

Your smith would fit in your purse as well if you like that gun, or get a purse that has a built in holster compatment, there are several makers that offer that.

Here is but one among many options:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=2681&CatalogID=394

As for getting a lefty holster off the shelf there may not be much but if you look you can find makers that could turn one out for you.

As for the Kahr guns, I would steer clear, they are over-priced for what they are, many, myself included have had horrible luck with their product, customer service and so forth. I'm sure some folks will jump in and report good luck with them but there are enough bad reports of their product to make me discount them for any self defense use.

Hope that helps and godspeed to your husband.

SW40F
April 18, 2008, 07:44 AM
Not quite as small as a Kahr, but have a look at S&W CS45 & 457 models.

ElectricHellfire
April 18, 2008, 08:54 AM
I know you said you wanted a safety but you might consider something from Glock since surely something from their lineup would suit your needs and you could still have enough cash for one of the small $100.00 Gunvault safes that opens with a combo button push in basically a second or two.

Short of that, the Springfield Armory XD Service Series (4 inch)in .45acp now comes with a manual safety as well.

You might also check out CZ as I think some of them come with a manual safety. I'm pretty sure the CZ RAMI does.

HK is another good one but a little on the pricey side but they are outstanding pistols.

All else fails you could go with a nice shorty or snubbie J frame revolver in .357 mag.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

18DAI
April 18, 2008, 09:01 AM
Try the S&W CS45, or the S&W 4513TSW (early version without the luggage rack). My preference is the 4513. 6+1 rounds, and it accepts the 7, and 8 round mags of its larger siblings. It reminds me of my 3913, on steroids.

If you are happy with 9mm, why not try a S&W 3913? Again, one without the luggage rack. IMHO the rail is useless on a compact CCW piece.

I use a 3913 as my duty pistol. Compact, good capacity (8+1), same operating procedures as your 469, light weight, and 100% reliable. They can be had for cheap as well. Stoke it with Winchester Ranger 124 grain, and you are well armed. Good luck with your search. Regards 18DAI.

Johannes_Paulsen
April 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
I have had nothing with positive experiences with Kahrs; the only model that's has consistent problems that I've heard of is the polymer-frame PM9.

Personally, I have an MK9 (stainless steel, but very small), and it is very reliable. The MK40 is just as small and comes in the .40 cal, if that's important to you. However, if you must have a safety, Kahrs are not for you. Kahrs are also pretty tight, and some women have problems racking the slide. (Something easily overcome with practice for most women, of course.)

Have you considered a Springfield XD subcompact? It has a grip safety, and you can also get it in .40 cal. It isn't as small as the Kahrs, but it isn't too big, either.

I thoroughly recommend you go to a store and handle, pocket, stick in your purse, etc. as many guns as possible to see what works for you and what doesn't.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, read this website:

http://www.corneredcat.com

It is written by a woman who carries every day and addresses a lot of concerns about carrying that women may have. (She's also a moderator on this forum known as "Pax").

armoredman
April 18, 2008, 09:41 AM
Ditto on Cornered Cat, great resource.
My wife carries a CZ 2075 RAMI, safety equipped. 14 rounds with extended mag. Loves it.
Here'a a rig for your Smith - http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=1211&GunID=126
Also this one, http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Public_Secret_Straps/public_secret_straps.html , great company.