PDA

View Full Version : IOR Valdada Scope Base Issues

Clocks
April 15, 2008, 03:47 PM
Started assembling my scope base, rings, etc, for my new 700/5R. Bought an IOR Valdada scope base to sit leupold mark 4 rings on. 1 piece base. 20MOA.

The product feels nice and solid. Cuts are exact and looking down the side lines of the picatinny rail, there are no dings, marks, or anywhere that i could see any kind of alignment issues that would indicate poor machining.

Happy with my purchase, I go to place this Remington 700 SA 20 MOA base on a short action 308 remington 700.

And the base has an issue.

When i removed the scope hole mini-screw covers and then placed the base on the remington, preparing to put in the base screws, i noticed the screw holes did not align. Investigating further, it was possible to determine taht the forward edge where the chamber cutout returns to the forward-reciever bevel does not match the exact dimensions of the Remington 700 action on my rifle!

In my estimation, the transition point for that portion of the cutout needs to move back between 1-32nd and 1-16th of an inch, extending the forward reciever bevelling on the base that much further.

http://www.wanderson.org/IOR_Valdada_Problem.jpg

Hopefully this diagram can better show what I am talking about. Note that my arrow illustrating moving the transition point back is NOT TO SCALE and in fact is more of an illustration of the direction the transition point needs to move. The actual movement is only a small portion of that. Just wanted to advise the community of a problem with an otherwise really good base.

I will be carefully modifying this one so that it fits properly which, for a product specifically noted for a specific model and type of action you would have hoped it would already.

Clocks
April 15, 2008, 04:27 PM
Update, just got off the phone with them. Turns out I live like 30 minutes away from thier facility. Yeah, anyway the dude on the phone spent the entire call trying to tell me that i must have the wrong model because they engineer to exact standards and it couldnt be the base. Once i told him I can take pictures and send them to him if he like rather than waste my time arguing on the phone, he finally told me to send the base to them and they will measure it to see if it fits thier specifications.

Oh and if i modify it to make it fit, i void the warranty on the base.

With this kind of warranty "support", i think i will choose to void the warranty and get the damn thing to work. Its solid steel and the rings, etc, would break before this thing would give way, I think.

Professor
April 16, 2008, 01:09 PM
Interesting info Clocks. I wish you the best.

As a company/product, they are generally well thought of.

UniversalFrost
April 16, 2008, 01:16 PM
yes, IOR offers a great product. Let them measure it to see if it is out of spec. Otherwise, your gun might be out of spec.

Either way one or the other is out of spec.

JOE

T.A.Sharps
April 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
I don't know anything about IOR, but this sounds like way more problems than I would trust on my rifle.

Did you see if you can just return it to the store you got it from? That is what I would do and just get a different brand. You can send it back to IOR but who knows how long they will have it before they even tell you anything about it.

If you got it from a local store you can just go there, return it, get another. Maybe a Mark 4 scope base, I'm not sure how much cheaper the IOR is though.

Jimro
April 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
IOR makes good stuff. Let them work with you and figure out what the problem is, from your picture it could be that the scope base didn't get a complete pass through the mill, or you might have been sent a the wrong model of base.

Jimro

Clocks
April 16, 2008, 09:31 PM
Yep, called them again today. This time got a different guy who was much more personable and helpful. Explained the issue again and he said that on some special models, they run into problems like this as remington likes to hand mill some of the recievers which results in variance whereas many of thier parts are CNC machined resulting in parts that are sometimes more precise than the reciever.

He said to send it back and they would do two things. First they would stat check the part I was sent to ensure it was the right model for the packaging and they would make sure it met their QA standards. Second, even if it does, he would locate one of the custom shop parts they have that has more relief on it for the forward reciever and send that back.

So i went ahead and sent my base in and we will see how that goes. It looks like my rings are delayed anyway so its worth a shot. And with the IOR facility being less than an hour from my house, shipping times back and forth are next-day delivery anyway.

Clocks
April 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
Update: Resolved.

Shipped the base to them wednesday. I have the new base today!

Comparing the pictures of the old one to this new one, it was definitely made differently. The reciever bevelling goes further up the part and there are no machining marks like there were in the old one. this new one also has some additional writings noting i as a remigton short action 20 MOA base whereas the other one had no identifying markings.

This one also works, which is a great difference.

After an initial bumpy call, the support has been prety good.