PDA

View Full Version : SKS bolt sticks,won't eject!

pistol-whipped
April 15, 2008, 05:58 AM
I bought a norincoSK at the last gunshow,what a lemon:mad: It loads and fires a round just fine but sticks and it takes quit a bit of oomph to get the bolt to move rearward to get the empty case out!Any advice or comments?

SDC
April 15, 2008, 06:15 AM
We need a better description of what the rifle is doing; are you saying that the bolt cycles when you fire it, but it leaves the fired case in the chamber, or is the bolt not cycling AT ALL? If it's not cycling at all, it sounds like the rifle isn't directing any gas to the piston, so I'd strip it down and see if the gas port is plugged or the piston is jammed, etc. If you can still get a fired case out by working the bolt, it sounds like the extractor is at least working OK. This sort of thing is why you normally strip any firearm down to examine it before you shoot it the first time.

10-96
April 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
Are you using Olympic brand ammo? There could be lots of reasons why your SKS has such a bad case of indigestion, but first make sure you're not using that awful crappy ammo. I've personally seen it gammer up some SKS's that normally run fine and dandy when fed ANYTHING but Olympic.

jcadwell
April 15, 2008, 08:11 PM
Have you cleaned the chamber? It is possible that it is full of gunk or very rough. Either would cause sticking.

pistol-whipped
April 16, 2008, 05:49 AM
Ok, the bolt does not cycle more than a few rounds before it jams,if it makes it past the first one. It's like the shell gets stuck in the chamber or the bolt is binding on something. It is smooth and normal action with no ammo,but even cycling the bolt manually with ammo it moves the round forward no prob,but getting it to come loose is the catch.Once the round is free from the chamber it ejects the round fine. And yes I stripped and cleaned the rifle before firing it,ran a boresnake and some cleaner through the barrel also.

TATER
April 16, 2008, 10:06 AM
Question.......Do the numbers on the bolt match the rifle??

jrinne0430
April 16, 2008, 10:34 AM
Still sounds like a dirty chamber. You may have lacquer built up in the chamber from someone firing alot of the old wolf type ammo through it. Use chamber brush or over sized bore brush with some solvent/cleaner and really give the chamber a good cleaning. The lacquer will act as a glue when it is heated up during firing.

pistol-whipped
April 19, 2008, 06:13 AM
So I scrubbed the heck out of the chamber with a copper brush and some bore cleaner and put a dab of oil,still no go.I switched the carrier with one from another Sk and it did the same thing:mad:The sad thing is,I paid $400 for this POS!

SDC
April 19, 2008, 08:24 AM
This is like trying to diagnose scoliosis over the phone; is the gas piston bent, or is it maybe catching on something during its travel?

homefires
April 19, 2008, 01:02 PM
On ejection, is the cartridge showing any significant markings? Dents, bulges?

What does it feel like if you hand feed a round into the chamber? Can you do it?

jrinne0430
April 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
+1 on homefire's comments. Also, use a small light and visually inspect the chamber. Since this is a Norinco, it should be chromed lined. Make sure that the chamber is clean and nothing is caked/ironed on the chamber walls (eventhough you cleaned it before, some fouling is very hard to remove). Nothing should be on the chrome (check for small patches and specks of fouling). Also, check the spent cases for shape, dents, etc.

jcadwell
April 20, 2008, 02:13 PM
If the chamber is really nasty you could polish it with JB bore compound. I've cleaned up an Enfield chamber that was grabbing brass to the point that you couldn't pull the bolt open without a mallet. Mount a shotgun bore swab in a cordless drill, put some JB compound on it, and spin it. Don't go crazy. Clean the heck out of it, and take a look. This certainly isn't a fix for match accuracy, but you can polish a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] into shooting form.

homefires
April 20, 2008, 03:55 PM
Ok, the bolt does not cycle more than a few rounds before it jams,if it makes it past the first one.

The Norinco Is Not A Peace Of Junk!

I have had five of them. Some shot better then others but I have never had one fail to shoot for me.

Your up against a simple thing here some where!

When you cleaned it did you clean the gas port between the tube and barrel?

Change out the Piston in the tube.

You have some fouling in the chamber binding the cartridge or not enough gas to drive the bolt.

The chamber is junked up with Lequire as stated before? This is something simple. Don't give up on it. If you do I will give you $20.00 for it and pay FFL + Shipping. :D

StiveC2007
October 23, 2009, 05:35 PM
Im having the same problem with mine, the problem is that the previous owner neglected it and the chamber became rusted and pitted. Im taking it to a local gunsmith to have him polish the chamber and if that doesnt work im gonna trade it in for another rifle maybe a rem 700 or a CZ