PDA

View Full Version : ruger no 1

aussie will
April 14, 2008, 05:01 AM
gday all, i'm new to this so please be patient. i've a no 1 varmint in .22/250. what a great thing it is. i'm having trouble with scope positioning and was wondering if anyone knows an alternative mount to the standard ruger mounts. i realise ruger makes an off set ring but it only appears to give an extra inch or so of latitude. i need a couple of inches of rearward movement if possible. the no 1 is such a fine rifle. mine's really starting to shoot good tight groups now. bit more load development and it'll really hum. thanks.
will

fisherman66
April 14, 2008, 06:20 AM
You can use double offset rings and you need a scope with lots of eye relief. I've settled on Leupold's VX-II 2-7x33 since it has 4-5 inches eye relief depending on the magnification. Another alternative is to get your rings a size higher and buy a scope with a longer section of tube between the windage/elevation adjustments and the front bell ramp. The last thing you can do is buy a weaver base adapter that clamps onto quarter rib or screws into barrel replacing the quarter rib. I love the #1, but Ruger made scoping the thing very difficult. The spacing of the quarter rib falls right between the standard eye relief scope and an intermediate eye relief scope.

With double offset rings a Zeiss Conquest with constant 4" should provide adequate eye relief. I'm not boned up on varmint scopes, but I'm sure there are others. Scope makers are more concerned with objective size and other things than they are about nc eye relief.

alfred
April 14, 2008, 10:17 AM
I once had scope positioning trouble with a New SS Ruger M77 270 Bolt action with the old "skinny"as I called it light weight all weather stock.I was at a gunsmiths for a pickup that I had asked about my problem.He said "you are in luck,the Ruger man just drove up".The man gave me a set of rings that solved the problem.The next time down to the the smiths I left my old rings for him to pick up on his next visit.Ruger may help and exchange your rings for something that will work.I could not get my scope back far enough for proper eye relief.

We are all built different.Much as I like the Remington shotguns,they just don't come up,fit and point naturally.A Browning A 500G that so many complained about is my best fitting shotgun and has been 100% reliable since I bought it new when the Golds came out in 1995.The only rifle I ever had that fit perfect was a custom Kleinguenther with a 3x12x56 Swavorski scope built to fit me.I sold my vacation back to the company and worked it that year to pay for it.Us folks with the "Perfect FI-Zeek"as I tell the grand children have a time with the industries Average American Sportsman size.When buying clothing,I ask "Where is the short and fat".Inseams longer than 24" are not a option on the males in my family.Being we have matching arms and bodies,nothing fits except nudity.

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING.alfred