PDA

View Full Version : Savage range report: .22-250 & .308

Strauss
April 12, 2008, 01:03 AM
Well as the title says, I just picked up 2 new guns over the last week. A Savage Model 10FP in .308, and a Savage Model 10 Predator in .22-250. First off I want to say that I am extremely happy with both guns.

I have had the .308 for almost a week now and have been to the range 3 times with it, shooting a total of 70 rounds so far. It has been very consistant with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo in the 168gr BTHP flavor, shooting groups of an inch or less at 100yds when I do my part. The recoil pad that Savage installs on the 10FP really smooths out the thump of the .308 cartridge. I have a Leupold rifleman 4-12x40 installed that I already had(got a great deal on it) which is performing great so far. My best shooting so far was a .950" 4-shot group at 200yds. That is very good for me, as shooting past 100yds is new to me and this whole shooting thing is still new for me as I am learning things every day to improve my abilities.

I just picked up the .22-250 today, and luckily I was able to get to the range even though we had quite the rainy day here. I was able to put about 25 rounds downrange, and the gun did not let me down. With having less recoil than the .308, I was able to print some nice groups today. I tried a few different weights of ammo, as I wanted to find what the 1:12 barrel likes. I tired some 40, 50, and 55gr ballistic tip rounds with the 40's shooting the best. I was hoping the gun would like the 55's, but maybe I just wasn't doing my part behind the gun while shooting groups with them. I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 in camo on it to match the rifle, which performs just as well as it looks. Great scope buy for 189.99.

Ok, so I am going in the right direction with the .308. I already know what ammo it likes, and I know where my bullet lands at different distances. What I need to do now, is find the bullet that the .22-250 loves. With the 1:12 twist barrel, what weights should the gun like? I know I have to shoot to find out, I was just wondering what works for everyone else with 1:12 barrels(mine is 22" BTW). I need to give the 55's another try, as I would like the extra weight when shooting with the wind. But if the gun likes the 40's the best...40's it will be.

Here are a couple pics for your enjoyment :)

The 10FP in .308
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/10FP.jpg

A typical 3-shot group at 100yds with the .308 and Federal Match ammo:
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3shotgroup.jpg

Here is the Predator in .22-250:
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/22-250.jpg

And my best 4-shot group of the day at 100yds, 40gr Hornady V-MAXX :D :
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/22-250group.jpg

garryc
April 12, 2008, 07:09 AM
Your getting a good start. Since you seem serious about the hobby I would suggest a reloading outfit. With the price of Federal 308 match ammo alone, you would make up the expense very quickly. Reloading, if you get serious about it, will teach you volumes about rifle shooting. And heck, we're here to coach you along.

Strauss
April 12, 2008, 12:00 PM
Reloading is in my near future for sure! I have been saving all my brass, and will be buying reloading equipment next before I purchase another rifle. And thanks for the suggestion, I have been learning a ton from all of you in this forum...everyone's comments mean a lot to me.

Shane Tuttle
April 12, 2008, 04:55 PM
What I need to do now, is find the bullet that the .22-250 loves. With the 1:12 twist barrel, what weights should the gun like? I know I have to shoot to find out, I was just wondering what works for everyone else with 1:12 barrels(mine is 22" BTW). I need to give the 55's another try, as I would like the extra weight when shooting with the wind. But if the gun likes the 40's the best...40's it will be.

The best bullet that works for my Savage Model 12 heavy barrel (IIRC, it's a 24") is Sierra MatchKing HPBT in 52gr. This has been the cat's meow for me.

Powders are a bit different, though. I've been using Alliant Powder quite a bit. On this forum, the general consensus is that most don't like Alliant's powders due to metering issues. I personally don't have any problem with it. But, my methods of charging my cases may be a bit different than others. Reloder7 and 15 has been good to me. I haven't had the chance to experiment with the new stuff they came out with recently....Reloder10x. It's supposed to be specifically made for the .22-250 and .223.

Hope this helps...

Strauss
April 12, 2008, 06:08 PM
Well, just got back from shooting the .22-250 some more. I gave the 55gr V-Maxx rounds another go, and had better results this time. Still, the 40gr V-Maxx bullets grouped the best again, with me printing a 1" 3-shot group at 200yds today. Anyone else have really good luck with 40gr bullets in a .22-250??