PDA

View Full Version : I Love my Beretta 84!

JB Books
April 12, 2008, 12:12 AM
I have a blued model with nice wooden grips (no Beretta emblem), a nickle model with checkered wooden grips with the emblem, and a Model 81 in .32 acp.

I think these little pistols are great. Anybody else?

american lockpicker
April 12, 2008, 12:30 AM
I prefer a Beretta 1934.

JB Books
April 12, 2008, 12:33 AM
I have owned one in .32 acp. Got it and a Mauser 1914 from a buddy of mine while in high school.

My uncle has 12 or so of them in both .380 and .32. He's not a serious collector, but just likes them.

JohnKSa
April 12, 2008, 12:43 AM
My wife owns a Model 86 that she is very fond of. They're neat little pistols that would be far more popular if Americans weren't so effectively brainwashed about handgun stopping power.

theberettaman
April 12, 2008, 12:53 AM
They's neet lil guns!:cool:

Shorts
April 12, 2008, 01:48 AM
Had an 86 - great pistola :cool:

IanS
April 12, 2008, 02:24 AM
They're neat little pistols that would be far more popular if Americans weren't so effectively brainwashed about handgun stopping power.

I doubt its going to change anytime soon. That's like asking Americans to give up driving V8 trucks and buffets.

I'm a SIG P232 owner myself. But yeah, sometimes I doubt my .380. "De-programming" myself is a constant battle.

Playboypenguin
April 12, 2008, 02:30 AM
I think they are not only one of the very best .380acp pistols made...I also think they are the most beautiful. I love mine. :)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Handgun%20collection/Beretta84FS.jpg

american lockpicker
April 12, 2008, 03:11 AM
Thats nice! How much do one of those go for?

Pilot
April 12, 2008, 08:56 AM
I have the M85FS model and love it. Its my favorite .380 and one of my favorite pistols in general. I carry it often. Its the single stack version which is a little slimmer. The 84/85 series are the finest .380's IMHO and their price reflects this. They are over $550 now.

PSP
April 12, 2008, 12:22 PM
The best .380 made IMHO. Here's one of the three that I have. This is the coolest one, custom grips, night sights and about a million rounds through it, (well, not quite a million, but a lot).
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/berettaIndianaandholster.jpg

Shorts
April 12, 2008, 04:54 PM
No kidding, expensive. A NIB 86 I ran into at a gunshow was $675. I bought mine in 04 for $584 otd.

imdarren
April 12, 2008, 10:51 PM
Can you good folks tell me about the trigger group on the 84's?
Do they have a nice trigger? I'm used to a good 1911 trigger.

Is the first shot DA, and the rest SA? All SA?
Please teach me, I'm listening. :D

D

JohnKSa
April 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
They're a better than average (though not spectacular) example of a DA/SA trigger. I would qualify the triggers as "not a hindrance to accuracy for those who are not totally spoiled by light SA handgun triggers". DA for the first shot unless you cock the hammer or rack the slide and SA for all subsequent shots. These guns can be carried cocked & locked.

predecessor
April 13, 2008, 01:06 AM
The 84/85 series are the finest .380's IMHO and their price reflects this. They are over $550 now.

Agreed - Really in a class by themselves.

theberettaman
April 13, 2008, 02:54 PM
84's and 85's that have an F designation cannot be carried cocked and locked.Earlier models with the rounded trigger guard designated as B or BB can be carried cocked and locked.As well as the 86s can be carried C&L.

PSP
April 13, 2008, 04:25 PM
84's and 85's that have an F designation cannot be carried cocked and locked.Earlier models with the rounded trigger guard designated as B or BB can be carried cocked and locked.As well as the 86s can be carried C&L.

Why not? My 84f appears to function cocked and locked.

theberettaman
April 13, 2008, 07:23 PM
Just because the lever moves up far enough to dissenguage the trigger,there is no firing pin protection or sear lock on that gun.If you continue to push the safety up the gun will decock.The F's are decockers not c&l.They are not like the 3 position levers of the taurus'.

JohnKSa
April 13, 2008, 08:11 PM
Just because the lever moves up far enough to dissenguage the trigger,there is no firing pin protection or sear lock on that gun. If you continue to push the safety up the gun will decock.What method is employed to keep the gun from discharging during decocking?

theberettaman
April 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
The decocking lever has a shelf on it that blocks the firing pin and stops the hammer at the half cock notch.You have to push the safety lever compleatly up to release the hammer before the block will cover the firing pin. If you push the lever just far enough to disenguage the trigger bar you can still see that the firing pin is exposed.If the hammer was to fall,there is nothing between the firing pin and BANG.When Beretta updated the 80series guns to the combat square trigger guard and added the decocker they renamed them F's.
(firing pin is still exposed however the hammer cannot move forward because of the block across the spot where the hammer would be able to strike the firing pin)

JohnKSa
April 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
Interesting. I've not seen an 80 series pistol of that model. Does Beretta still call the upper lever position (before the gun decocks) a safety or does the gun have to be fully decocked before it's considered to be on safe?

theberettaman
April 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
Decocked=Safe. :)

KS.45
April 14, 2008, 07:58 PM
I carry a P232 (.380) normally, I like it for comfortable carry and feel confident with it's stopping power in situations I am most likely to encounter.

There are times when I carry my Glock 36 (.45). After dark excursions downtown for work reasons (wouldn't be there otherwise) are a typical situation where the .45 is the choice.

Large-framed perps who act very determined, pumped on adrenaline and possibly amped on upper-type drugs give me a condition red even if they are not focused my way. If leaving their area is not possible, I want big HP SXT-type bullets going to center-mass if TSHTF. A .45 with Ranger T LE .45 +P is my preference then.

JB Books
April 15, 2008, 02:14 PM
I am not being sarcastic. I agree that a .45 acp should put a BG down faster than a .380 and I won't even address the "shoot placement" issue. We'll assume that you can shoot equally well with either hand gun.

However, here is a general question for everyone. Why do folks feel "undergunned?" I mean for many many years people carried .32 acp and .380 acp pistols (not to mention .32 SW, .38 S&W, etc) and it seemed to do the job.

I think I would rather have 13 shots of .380 than 7 shots of .45 acp. Although at times I have carried a .45 Sig or Colt Government Model.