PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw oil for guns

Nev C
April 10, 2008, 04:32 AM
I've read a lot of posts about lubricants for semi autos but have never seen chain saw bar oil mentioned, the sticky stuff. Has anybody tried it?
I would think that if any machine needed a good lubricant that would protect under extreme use it would be a chain saw.
Any thoughts?

Alleykat
April 10, 2008, 01:32 PM
As long as you're lubing your chain saw with Mobil 1, 15W50, it'll be good to go on your firearms! ;)

hogdogs
April 10, 2008, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't use it... It is basically just JUNK 30 weight motor oil with "tackifier" additives. It would offer gobs or resistance to the action. It is not a premium lube. Keep in mind it is only oiling a highspeed bicycle chain sliding on the bar. Alot of the heat is transferred to the wood. And further cooled by the moisture found there in. YMMV but I have used several hundred gallons of the stuff and it is great for intended use.
Brent

Pahoo
April 10, 2008, 01:58 PM
Have not used this oil but in a previous post, listed the use of chain oil lubricant or motor cycle chain oil by "Gunk". it just will not run or crawl and has Moly in it. I use it for the purpose you stated.

Be Safe

onesiphorus
April 10, 2008, 02:03 PM
I use straight 30W in my Stihl. I like clp, FP10 or Tetra for guns. CLP preferred, it doesn't seem to attract as much lint and dust as the other 2.

scorpiusdeus
April 10, 2008, 02:15 PM
With a wide variety of good handgun lubricants available today. why do we always see these thread about using Crisco, motor oil, or now chainsaw oil?

If one can afford ammo anymore I suspect you can afford a decent handgun lubricant.

CraigC
April 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
With a wide variety of good handgun lubricants available today. why do we always see these thread about using Crisco, motor oil, or now chainsaw oil?

If one can afford ammo anymore I suspect you can afford a decent handgun lubricant.

Exactly, I don't get it. Chainsaw oil for chainsaws, gun oil for guns. If I thought any of it was a good idea, I'd just use bacon grease. I've got plenty of it and it smells GREAT! :rolleyes:

Officer's Match
April 10, 2008, 02:32 PM
Then I'd have to worry about Baron eating my handguns.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/DSCF0034-1.jpg

Tom2
April 10, 2008, 02:59 PM
Wul, it's the recession, don't ya know? The 800$ guns was bought when times was good and now a poor feller has to crack open his oil pan plug on the pickup to keep his guns lubed...:rolleyes:

Largestal
April 10, 2008, 03:27 PM
cute pup.

Pork fat RULES!!

CLP for the things that go bang-bang-bang.

Boots'56
April 10, 2008, 07:02 PM
I personally wouldn't use anything other than Motul 300V 0W-20 on any of my firearms!

115scott
April 10, 2008, 07:52 PM
Well a gallon of chain saw oil would go a long way on a Glock, 4 drops at a time for each cleaning.

P5 Guy
April 10, 2008, 08:32 PM
Sperm Whale oil is all I'll ever use.:p

USMCGrunt
April 10, 2008, 08:40 PM
I just rub a ham sandwich over all my guns.:rolleyes:

shortwave
April 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
officers match, got one just like him. 140 pounders. lube guns with fish-oil. hey grunt, you need to stop. laughed so hard bout fell outa chair

DPris
April 10, 2008, 08:50 PM
Once upon a time in the Wayback Longago, I (as a foolish teenager) carried what we called a "grav blade" knife in my pocket. Italian stiletto-type folder, it could be flicked out & locked one-handed. Never cut anybody but myself with the thing. :o

One night in a previous life as a highly skilled & exhorbitantly paid theater movie projectionist jockeying a matched pair of hot 1948 rod-burners, I got bored watching the same movie for the umpteenth time. (People often used to view us with envy and adulation, not realizing that being a motion picture projectionist was not entirely the adventurous & glamorous life it appeared to be. :D)

For some reason, I decided my knife was getting a little sluggish on the flick & needed oiling. For some other reason, it occurred to me that the high quality oil used to lube the projectors' gears would be equally good to use on my knife joint. Working a couple drops of the stuff into the pivot point and then testing for function immediately caused great consternation when I discovered that oil formulated for the high temperatures of the projectors' motor environments essentially coagulated into a less-than-slick glop inside my much cooler knife joint & gummed it up sufficiently to seriously impact my lightning draw & flick. :eek: To the point where it took two hands to open it, a severe disadvantage in the event (never realized) of sudden need. :mad:

I walked the streets in trepidation for weeks until I was finally able to get that damned stuff outa my knife & return it to its former high state of combat readiness! :cool:

The rambling point being that there are numerous oils & lubes specifically formulated for grav blades...er, guns, that work just fine, why go looking for exotics and take foolish & unnecessary risks in doing so? I learned a valuable lesson with that old knife, and one that's stood me in good stead to this very day. ;)

Denis

radom
April 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
That stuff is the most stinky crud I can think of this side of gear lube, its just nasty.

mattamuskeet
April 10, 2008, 09:09 PM
Bar oil gets gummy when its cold...<30 degrees

DPris
April 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
I get gummy <30 degrees, too. :D
Denis

WESHOOT2
April 12, 2008, 07:14 AM
...why don't you try some on your guns then report back?

Test, then know....

I know BreakFree CLP works as a lubricant on my handguns.

El Paso Joe
April 12, 2008, 09:50 AM
I agree with P5 Guy. Sperm oil. It is light, fine, slippery, and will NEVER gum. In some old gunsmithing books ('40s and '50s) it is recommended for lube in guns going into cold places and (if memory serves) for quenching spring steel.

It was also what the old time watchmakers used when cleaning and oiling watches - used an eyelash glued to a small stick to apply the oil to bearings.

Unfortunately, the whales have been hunted to the point that sperm oil is no longer an option. Never even see the stuff for sale on ebay...

RsqVet
April 12, 2008, 11:03 AM
Bar oil is cheap, gunky and designed to be consumed --- i.e. it is used once and expelled out with dust and debris.... why in the heck would one want to put it on a gun?

Even if we were in whatever survival situation the mind wants to cook up I'd seek out alternatives such as oil off a dip stick before I went to bar oil.

Personally I'm using all teflon grease right now, not cheap but works quite well.

GWbiker
April 12, 2008, 07:03 PM
Only Stihl chain saw oil from Germany may be used on German made guns... :D

Boots'56
April 12, 2008, 09:14 PM
I just rub a ham sandwich over all my guns.

Would that be with mayo or without?