PDA

View Full Version : Does engraving reduce strength?

Norrick
April 5, 2008, 01:59 AM
On a stainless weapon, will engraving make a gun that has very high tolerances dangerous to shoot? Say a ruger super redhawk chambered for .454 Casull, any other gun that pushes the envelope of metal strength? It looks like it already has engravings in it, for example, the ever common and ugly "read instruction manual" warning that is present on all new rugers...

Its hard to say whether these were pressed into the gun when they were forged or if they were engraved after, or if they were stamped somehow on it after the forging but before selling.

If I HAD to guess, I would say the markings on the cylinder (it says 45 Long Colt 454 Casull) look more engraved than the instruction manual warning on the side of the barrel.

But yeah, I like the way engraving turns out on stainless guns that I've seen, but at the same time, i DO intend on shooting it, and I'd like to keep all my fingers, or my life for that matter. I think the words I was looking for the title was integrity, not strength. CAnt seem to edit title.

Bill DeShivs
April 5, 2008, 02:11 AM
Factory markings should not weaken anything.

Norrick
April 5, 2008, 03:01 AM
no I meant if I pay to add custom engravings, I was just saying, should it be feasible since the factory guns come engraved to an extent.. or am I mistaken and what I am seeing is actually not any form of engraving.

T. O'Heir
April 5, 2008, 03:54 AM
"...Does engraving reduce strength?..." Not even a little.

brickeyee
April 5, 2008, 12:51 PM
Even steel varies slightly from batch to batch.
If the few hundredths of metal removed by engraving created a probklem some of the guns would likely fail anyway.
The safety margin is not nearly that close.

Scorch
April 5, 2008, 12:59 PM
"...Does engraving reduce strength?..." Not even a little.Theoretically, I'm sure it does. However, the minute reduction in strength from losing a few thousandths of an inch will not affect the safety of the firearm. Most engineered items have such a large margin of error built in that it would be almost impossible to hurt them by gouging a little bit of metal off of it.