PDA

View Full Version : Critique My (proposed) Rifle Battery

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 1, 2008, 10:07 AM
As a young man, I was an avid hunter and shooter but could not afford much in the way of firearms. I picked up a few here and there, but then career made constraints on my time and marriage made constraints on my budget.

Jump forward 20 years, I still have the same career and am still married to the same wonderful woman. However, a few weeks ago, I came to the realization I could finally afford to have a well stocked armory.

Below is a my proposed rifle list, in approximate order of acquisition:

Marlin 336C in .30-30 (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfire/336C.aspx)
AR-15 (or maybe the Ruger NRA Mini-14 (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5835), but probably not)
Tikka T3 Varmint (http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=28) or CZ 550 Varmint Laminated (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=21) in .308
Marlin 60SS (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60SS.aspx) (Laminated, stainless, semi-auto .22 rimfire)
Remington 700 CDL (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_CDL.asp) or Tikka T3 Deluxe or ??? in 7mm-08
CZ 452 Varmint (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=2) (.22 rimfire)
Springfield Armory Scout Squad (http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=19) or FAL

And maybe, but less likely:

Ruger M77 Hawkeye (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7113) in .338 Winchester Magnum
Barrett 99 (http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_99.aspx)

I think this should cover most everything short of an African safari. Comments? Ideas? Dumb looks?

Barber2678
April 1, 2008, 10:40 AM
Beware: You asked for comments!

Below is a my proposed rifle list, in approximate order of acquisition:

Marlin 336C in .30-30 Winchester 86 or 95 or Browning BLR
AR-15 (or maybe the Ruger NRA Mini-14, but probably not) Colt only!
Tikka T3 Varmint or CZ 550 Varmint Laminated in .308 Get a Sako
Marlin 60SS (Laminated, stainless, semi-auto .22 rimfire) Browning Auto 22 or at least Ruger 10/22
Remington 700 CDL or Tikka T3 Deluxe or ??? in 7mm-08 Weatherby Mark V in .240 WBY or .270 WBY
CZ 452 Varmint (.22 rimfire) Ruger 77/22 or 77/17
Springfield Armory Scout Squad or FAL

Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .338 Winchester Magnum
Barrett 99 Armalite AR-50

If you have the money, I think it would be better to get higher quality arms in lieu of a lot of them. You are talking about a Barrett so money should not pose too much of a problem.

sholling
April 1, 2008, 10:46 AM
A good list. A couple of suggestions. #3 Bud's gun Shop is blowing out the Tikka (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/23570) T3 Super Varmint in for $899 as a spring special. That's not much more than the vanilla version. #5 I like the Tikka but I'd probably go with 308 to limit the number of calibers that I need to reload for/store. #4&6, if it were me I'd combine these two requirements. There is something especially cool about building (http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=10%2F22&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=0&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=0&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button) a Ruger 10/22 into your own (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php) one of a kind sub MOA tack driver. It's something on my own project list. The rest of your list looks perfect.

SR420
April 1, 2008, 10:49 AM
Suggestions:

#2 Colt LE 6920

#7 MK14 SEI in a USGI synthetic stock

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 1, 2008, 11:00 AM
Barber: Thanks for pointing out the Ruger 77/22. I had never thought about a rimfire bolt from Ruger.

The Marlin 336 is more of a nostalgia issue for me. I like the BLR but it just doesn't look like the Marlin I got to play with 25 years ago.

SR420: I will build the AR-15 from a combo of Stag, DPMS, and RRA parts.

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 1, 2008, 11:08 AM
sholling: The reason for both .308 and 7mm-08 is that I am trying to keep a somewhat even balance between EBR's in military calibers and hunting rifles in case of unexpected political/legislative changes.

The EBR's:

AR-15
Tikka T3 in .308
M1A / FAL
Barrett 99

The hunters:

Marlin 336C
Remington 700 CDL or Tikka T3 Deluxe or ??? in 7mm-08
CZ 452 Varmint (.22 rimfire)
Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .338 Winchester Magnum

The Marlin 60SS is just a knockabout plinker/utility.

sholling
April 1, 2008, 11:18 AM
If they come after your bolt action 308 or 30-06 hunters then they will come after your 7mm-08. Both will suddenly be "sniper rifles".

BTW the action on those Tikkas has to be felt to be believed. Way smoother than the Remmys.

azredhawk44
April 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
1. Marlin 336C in .30-30
2. AR-15 (or maybe the Ruger NRA Mini-14, but probably not)
3. Tikka T3 Varmint or CZ 550 Varmint Laminated in .308
4. Marlin 60SS (Laminated, stainless, semi-auto .22 rimfire)
5. Remington 700 CDL or Tikka T3 Deluxe or ??? in 7mm-08
6. CZ 452 Varmint (.22 rimfire)
7. Springfield Armory Scout Squad or FAL

8. Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .338 Winchester Magnum
9. Barrett 99

1 - Great choice. Utilitarian, light weight, capable hunter and defender. Should be a first purchase if buying in stages.

2 - Another great choice. Standard arm of our armed forces ensures a greater chance of re-supply when the chinese zombie hordes come.

3 - I'd suggest .30-06 instead, since you are looking at the M1A or FAL as well. .30-06 will handle heavier bullets better. If you go .308 with this one, then I would suggest that #5 be chambered in 7mmRemMag.

4 - Life's always better with a .22. Whatever fits you best. I've got a Marlin 795 right now, but I fell in love with a Henry .22 a couple weeks ago.

5 - Vary your caliber a bit more. .308 and 7mm-08 are too close ballistically.

6 - Another .22? Why not? I want two of 'em.

7 - A man with good taste. Get the full sized M1A though. I've got a scout, and I get nasty looks from folks at the range or from my buddies while hunting. Flash hider is better than muzzle brake. The extra 4" of barrel gives better sight radius and velocity too. You've already got an AR for tighter quarters. Let the rifle shine in its original configuration and duties. Trust me, it will.

8 - Ubermagnum! Go for it. Once I get my "mainstay" hunting rifle (left handed Browning A-bolt in 7mmRemMag), I'll be shopping (eventually) for an ubermagnum somewhere around .338winmag or .375H&H.

9 - Ah, the evil .50. I applaud you sir. Get these monsters into civilian hands, because it is well known that the most corrupt and domineering of our career politicians hate these rifles the most. I hope to follow your example.

SR420
April 1, 2008, 11:27 AM
I hope you reload because you sure have a wide variety of ammo to stock.

I am down to 5 different calibers.

Primary use:
7.62 NATO / .308
7.62 X 39
.45 ACP

Secondary use:
5.56 NATO / .223
12 Gauge

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
sholling: There is always a danger that "accurate" rifles could become a target. However, accuracy is hard to legislate. It is probably a more likely danger that the approach would be to heavily regulate "military" ammo. The .308 would be probably be lumped with the 7.62 NATO.

That nasty list would probably include:

.45 ACP
9mm
7.62x39
7.62 NATO
.50 BMG.

I'm surprised Kalifornia hasn't already tried it.

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 1, 2008, 11:49 AM
It might also help if I noted the intended purpose.

Marlin 336C in .30-30: Whitetail deer, vandals, and other thin-skinned mid-south game.
AR-15: Civil unrest and uprisings of the undead (zombies).
Tikka T3 Varmint or CZ 550 Varmint in .308: Reach out and touch someone.
Marlin 60SS (Laminated, stainless, semi-auto .22 rimfire): Plink. Plink. Plink. Occasional squirrel.
Remington 700 CDL or Tikka T3 Deluxe in 7mm-08: Distance whitetail deer. Maybe small western game.
CZ 452 Varmint (.22 rimfire): Serious squirrel and rabbit medicine.
Springfield Armory Scout Squad or FAL: Barricaded zombies.
Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .338 Winchester Magnum: Bear, Elk.
Barrett 99: Hardened zombies.

sholling
April 1, 2008, 11:59 AM
No the commissars are considering where and when and how much you can buy but not what calibers. A one bullet a month law or some such. They wouldn't dare ban any popular caliber. They would be bounced out on their butts and they know it.

Keep in mind that most Californians are gun owners so the commissars have to work through divide and conquer tactics. Assault rifles looked mean so those could be legislated away but only the mean looking ones. We still have Minis and M14 clones because they look sporty not mean. The pistols that we can't get are "unsafe" because they can't pass a drop test or fire 100 rounds without jamming. About 50 people owned 50BMG rifles so they could be picked on, but half of the state owns 9mm pistols. That's a lot of people to tick off if you like your cushy legislative job. The same with 30-06. That's the most popular hunting cartridge.

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 1, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you have the money, I think it would be better to get higher quality arms in lieu of a lot of them. You are talking about a Barrett so money should not pose too much of a problem.

A Barrett is on the list, but it is an economical Barrett. (Is that an oxymoron? :confused:)

I usually try to use the 80/50 rule. You can usually get 80% of the performance for 50% of the price. So, I seldom buy top-of-the-line but try to hit that sweet spot instead.

globemaster3
April 1, 2008, 09:21 PM
Just had a fun discussion with my base's armorers. Wouldn't recommend the Colt. They would recommend a lot of others, but in their opinion, Colt's quality is circling the drain.

Avenger29
April 1, 2008, 09:28 PM
1. Marlin 336C in .30-30
Good choice. Upgrade the sights. XS Sight Systems, Skinner sights, or Williams

2. AR-15 (or maybe the Ruger NRA Mini-14, but probably not)
Go with the AR-15. LMT is a good brand. Stock up on mags.

3. Tikka T3 Varmint or CZ 550 Varmint Laminated in .308
Either is a good choice, but the CZ is what I'd get- you are also getting a
CZ 452

4. Marlin 60SS (Laminated, stainless, semi-auto .22 rimfire)
Nice- works well, good price, great plinker

5. Remington 700 CDL or Tikka T3 Deluxe or ??? in 7mm-08
Go with CZ. Might want to consider 6.5x55 or 7x57 Mauser.

6. CZ 452 Varmint (.22 rimfire)
Another great choice. Very good quality, very accurate.

7. Springfield Armory Scout Squad or FAL
Good choices. If you get the FAL, go with DS Arms. Stock up on mags either
way.

skeeter1
April 1, 2008, 09:51 PM
I like your list. The only ones I'd add (but just because I'm a levergun man) are a Marlin 39 (.22) and Marlin 1894C (.357Mag) or Marlin 1894 (.44Mag). Still, what you've mentioned is all good.

armedtotheteeth
April 1, 2008, 11:02 PM
Well, Colts ar overrated.. My Bushmaster has better or at least as good fit, finish, and function as any Colt as I have seen. Save your self $500 and get a Bushmaster. Them boys in Maine may not have a job in a year depending on politics. THey will need all the help they can get while they can get it, Colt is Military contracts and really dont care much about finish from what I have seen.

+1 on the AR 50

WOW.. for the really hardened undead zombies.

bclark1
April 1, 2008, 11:31 PM
You have some overlapping functionality. I generally try to spread myself as wide as possible with my purchases. A 400-yard whitetail gun is a 400-yard whitetail gun, whether it's .308, 7mm-08, or my beloved 30/06. If you buy the nicer of your .22 rimfires, that will save you a few bucks on a second one. It's just my opinion, but I would like to cover every conceivable base before I start doubling up. M1A's are great rifles. Levergun is a good choice for shorter distance hunting. AR15's are just a lot of fun. Contrary to a strong opinion here, you don't need a Colt. I've seen more trouble out of Colts than much cheaper and easier to come by DPMS and RRA rifles. My experience is limited but if Colt would like to change that opinion and go for the tie (tie because you can't really beat zero problems) they're welcome to actually make some semblance of an attempt to compete in the market rather than getting by on old contracts and history.

Enjoy the fun of buying up your long gun armory :)

Avenger29
April 2, 2008, 08:40 AM
Colt is Military contracts and really don't care much about finish from what I have seen.

Right. I am not a fan of Colt, particularly their snobbish treatment of the civilian sector. But I'd buy Colt over HK any day.

LMT, Saber Defense, Bushmaster, Bravo Company, several others- all excellent manufacturers.

SR420
April 2, 2008, 08:49 AM
Colts ain't over rated, they're just not in some folks budget.

BTW, Colt's do hold their value much better than other brands.

taylorce1
April 2, 2008, 09:22 AM
BTW the action on those Tikkas has to be felt to be believed. Way smoother than the Remmys.
I liked the Tikka as well when I was looking at rifles the other day but to tell you the truth the Rem M700 XCR & SPS blew away the Tikka. May have just been that one rifle but I was looking at Stainless Synthetic rifles in .30-06 and from best to worst went something like this M700 XCR, SPS, Tikka T3, Savage, and Ruger.

Other than that I'd probably opt for a Win 94 in .30-30 or Savage 99 in .358 (have both:D). Dont get the .358 if you are buying your ammunition.

I'm very happy with my DPMS M4orgery.

.308 Varmint/Tactical don't forget to look at Howa, Rem, and Savage tactical, I like it in a synthetic instead of a laminated stock of the CZ.

Love my Marlin 60 .22lr and sold my 10/22 Ruger.

Hunting rifle I'd choose .308 over 7mm-08 if you aren't rolling your own hand loads. Just to use KISS on your ammuntiton.

Varmint rifle I'd step up to a bolt .223 since you already have a good .22lr.

M1A would be my first choice followed by SOCOM 16.

Get a Ruger Alaskan .375 Ruger for big bears, you already have an elk and black bear rifle if you go with a 7mm-08 or .308.

Get a single shot .50 BMG upper for you AR to save on money for ammunition.

AmesJainchill
April 2, 2008, 09:48 AM
I usually try to use the 80/50 rule. You can usually get 80% of the performance for 50% of the price. So, I seldom buy top-of-the-line but try to hit that sweet spot instead.

This has been my perception of things also.

I have to agree with bclark1, you seem to have some overlap in your choices.

Edit: But then again, this IS a wish list, not a need list.

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 2, 2008, 09:53 AM
You have some overlapping functionality. I generally try to spread myself as wide as possible with my purchases. A 400-yard whitetail gun is a 400-yard whitetail gun, whether it's .308, 7mm-08, or my beloved 30/06.

bclark1: Yes, there is some overlap there. I explained my rational in an earlier post, but the short version is that I'm trying to spread evenly between "millitary" and benign :rolleyes: "hunting" chamberings.

I think the .308 is better for strategic long range engagement but the 7mm-08 could do in a pinch. Also, for serious business I would prefer synthetic or laminated stock. For hunting, I'm a traditionalist - blued steel and walnut if possible.

dm1333
April 2, 2008, 09:28 PM
If I had to pick an AR it would be CMMG (for once in my life I picked something BEFORE it was really popular) or a Bushy.

Go with CZ! I have been impressed with every one that I have handled or shot! I have a T/C R-55 and shoot .22 bench rest competitions but if I had to buy a .22 again it would be a CZ. I also shot one of their 527's in .223 and that thing was sweet.

I'm also a big fan of the Marlin Model 60 but there sure are a lot of parts out there for the 10/22.

Where are the pistols and shotguns? You need a Mossberg 500 or 590, at least one Glock, and a good .357. Since you need a good .357 why not get a Marlin in the same caliber?

Dreadful Hillbilly
April 2, 2008, 11:21 PM
Where are the pistols and shotguns? You need a Mossberg 500 or 590, at least one Glock, and a good .357. Since you need a good .357 why not get a Marlin in the same caliber?

Umm, errr... I omitted them because this is the rifle forum.

The list:

Sig P220 Carry (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=149) or Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle (http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=MR4500RS)
*Maybe* a S&W 325 Night Guard (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=67967&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15706)
*Maybe* a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686
One more shotgun (already have 870 express, 18") probably a semi-auto with choke tubes. Unknown which. Remington? Benelli? The new Beretta?

Yep, I would like a lever in .357 or .44. But it is way down on the list. Been thinking about getting one for my wife.

zebulonsmith
April 3, 2008, 07:12 PM
Don't let anybody talk you out of the Marlins. Nobody makes a finer levergun and the model 60 is the most accurate semi auto .22 you can buy in that price range. I have a weakness for older specimens myself, the wood on the newer rifles from just about everyone doesn't have the same appeal to me. I like the older oiled finish, without all that ugly checkering and shiny urethane. I have a 336 built around 1968, a 39A "Mountie" from 1954 and an 1895G of recent vintage. I love them all, but the newer one just doesn't have the character that the older rifles do.

My only suggestion would be to think about buying that CZ 452 in .22 Magnum, but only if you plan to use it primarily for hunting. If it's going to be a plinkin' gun, .22 mag isn't really worth what you'll spend on ammo.