PDA

View Full Version : High Standard AR-15 Range Report

Doug S
March 29, 2008, 05:43 PM
I've posted this on several different forums for people who may be looking at this gun. I've noticed a few threads of people who were considering purchasing the High Standard, asking for feedback, but for the most part these threads didn't receive much response. What follows is my experience, with what seems to be a pretty decent AR.

Recently I posted concerning a High Standard AR-15 that I acquired. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845213&highlight=experts In that thread, I stated that I had quickly taken the gun out and fired a 20 round magazine through the gun before having to attend another event. During that range session, which prompted the original thread, I had a stovepipe on the first shot, and the remaining 19 rounds fired without fail. A friend experienced the same when he shot the gun. I later found that the gun which appeared to be like new, with no visible wear, also appeared to have no lubrication in it. I cleaned and lubed it, and today was the first chance I’ve had to get back to the range with it. On a sidenote, a little privately owned sports shop, had some Wolf Military Classic 223, 55gr steel cased fmj for $4.75 a box. I bought a 100 rounds, and this was the ammo I used today.

This time out, the High Standard fired all 100 rounds (mostly rapid fire) without a single failure. I used the same Colt 20 round mag, as I did last time. Also, as per a question in the original thread, I paid closer attention to how the rifle was ejecting the spent cases, and all cases were landing about 8 ft, slightly forward and to my right. Some went a little further, and some landed a little closer, but they all landed in the same general vicinity. I didn’t measure precisely, but I did pace it off.

Since I mostly just wanted to know if the gun was going to function reliably, I only put out one small NRA pistol target (which I had in my range bag), just shy of 25 yards. I was easily able to keep all rounds on target, even though I wasn’t trying for any kind of grouping. All in all, I’d say I’m pretty happy with this gun. If it continues to function reliably, I think it’s a keeper.

I know this isn’t much of a range report, but my real reason for posting is that there seems to be so little info out there about the HS AR-15. For those people like myself, who are considering purchasing this gun, but cannot find any real info pertaining to it, hopefully this will help a little. Other than one article on Gunblast, and a couple of very small threads on the AR-15 forums, there is not much else out there on this model. I also realize that this model will be bottom of the barrel for most AR afficionados, but if you're only looking for a basic model, I think this might be a decent gun.

10-96
March 29, 2008, 08:21 PM
Doug, Thanks for putting that out there. I like to see instances where folks have good things to say about firearms and general shooting gear that isn't exactly high dollar stuff. It never ceases to amaze me- the number of times someone will say they want a XX caliber XX brand firearm and only have so much money available. And within four posts, someone will inevitably tell the guy to man up and buy a $2000 rig with a $1000 scope. Shooting does not have to be a rich man's sport!

Doug S
March 29, 2008, 09:28 PM
10-96

Thanks for the positive comments.

It never ceases to amaze me- the number of times someone will say they want a XX caliber XX brand firearm and only have so much money available. And within four posts, someone will inevitably tell the guy to man up and buy a $2000 rig with a $1000 scope. Shooting does not have to be a rich man's sport!

This seems particularly true of a segment of the AR crowd. It seems for some, that if the AR costs less than a couple thousand, or says something other than Colt, it just doesn't hold much appeal for them. This High Standard seems to be put together well, and also seems reliable. What more can I ask for $500. I'm not into all of the AR "attachments". I just wanted a basic AR. Also, as I said, I could find very little info on this model, so I thought my experience might prove useful to the next potential HS AR buyer.

globemaster3
March 30, 2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the range report. I am looking to purchase my first AR platform shortly. Who did you purchase your HS from?

Doug S
March 30, 2008, 08:44 AM
I got this one from a friend whose selling it for $500. I've seen the High Standard at Gander Mountain, and at gun shows for under $800. Good luck with your purchase.