PDA

View Full Version : Found the proper bullet for me 1894 CB

Wayward_Son
March 24, 2008, 07:39 PM
I've been both searching for a bullet my 1894 likes as well as re-teaching myself how to shoot a rifle from my memories of Hunter's Safety courses nearly twenty years ago.

I didn't think to pick up my targets before I left. Wish I had, but didn't.

I finally tried the Federal American Eagle 158 grain JSP in .357 mag. I was shooting five-shot groups. Once I had it dialed in, my results where two five-shot groups, both hitting a target the size of an apple (3-4"), with factory open sights at 100 yards.

I was quite pleased with myself. First group was slightly below the 3" white ring/bullseye. Second group with a higher point of aim put three inside the 3" ring and two slightly above it in the orange.

I had originally thought that this rifle with my eyes would only be good for 75 yards max with open sights, but after focusing on the basics of breathing, sight picture and trigger control, I realize that I have a reliable 100-yard lever gun with a pistol cartridge without resorting to magnified optics.

Booyah!

10-96
March 24, 2008, 07:58 PM
Congrats on your welcomed find! I love the heck out of my Win94 16". I put a Williams 5-D peep and a taller front sight on mine. It's only drawback is that the thing is nearly useless in less than ideal light conditions (need a bigger peep hole). Aside from handloads, so far, my rifles favorite diet seems to be the Magtech 158gr JSP's.