PDA

View Full Version : Xd.45gap

cohoskip
March 24, 2008, 11:46 AM
Do any of you have this one? Whaddayathink?

David the Gnome
March 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
Why would you buy the XD in 45GAP when you can get the 45ACP? :confused:

ElectricHellfire
March 24, 2008, 03:51 PM
IMO If your going .45 then go .45ACP.

ssilicon
March 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
The 45ACP models have a slightly bigger frame. I think that the 45GAP models are built off the same frames as all the other chamberings. Perhaps holster/carry options are important enough to him that he needs to stick to the standard XD frame but still have very close to the ballistics of the 45ACP?

David the Gnome
March 24, 2008, 06:17 PM
My best friend has a crossbreed holster that he carries both his XD45 Compact and XD40 Service in. The slides are almost the exact same width.

Shane Tuttle
March 24, 2008, 06:52 PM
My best friend has a crossbreed holster that he carries both his XD45 Compact and XD40 Service in. The slides are almost the exact same width.

But the grip width and length is bigger on the XD45ACP...

My personal opinion is there's no advantage going go the GAP if you're toying with +P loads.

Some arguements:

1. Experiences with ammo availability/price vary greatly depending on the geographical location.

2. Questions have been raised due to the popularity of the cartridge. Some swear by it sticking around due to LE using them. Some think the cartridge will die tomorrow. If you reload, I don't see an issue.

3. Ballistics of the GAP compared to the ACP are very similar...until you get into +P of the ACP. I don't know the true answer regarding +P on GAP, but I don't think you can really push this cartridge like you can the ACP.

If you have small hands and the ACP sized XD is just a tad too big, I'd consider the GAP if you must have a caliber of .45.

Do some homework on ammo availability/price in your area. Or, if you don't mind online shopping, you should be OK.

kgpcr
March 24, 2008, 07:05 PM
why the hell would you buy a GAP when you can get an ACP??

zebulonsmith
March 24, 2008, 07:41 PM
Ballistics are about the same. If you are buying it primarily for carry and don't plan to shoot much, there's nothing wrong with the .45GAP, but ammo is more expensive and can be scarce.

It's a good idea for sure. The .45ACP is an old (but still effective) round and the .45GAP is an improvement on it which makes the overall length of the cartridge smaller but provides the same ballistics. Personally, I see it going the same way as the 10mm, except without nearly as strong of a cult following.

Water-Man
March 25, 2008, 09:17 AM
The .45GAP was made for people that had an issue with the grip width of the .45ACP due to their hand size. To that end they were successful.

WoofersInc
March 25, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have one of them. I bought it before Springfield made the gun in 45ACP. I will shoot it on occasion. I can see where it would be anavantage to someone with smaller hands. Ammo availability and price keep me from shooting it more often.

speedracer211
March 25, 2008, 07:56 PM
Only reason I would buy the GAP is if it were ubber cheap. I would not pay over $300 for one.

klausmotown
March 26, 2008, 11:05 AM
I enjoy mine. Shoots great, hasn't malfunctioned once over 1200 rounds. Carried in a fobus paddle (this is not a primary carry gun, a few different CZs fill that role). I purchased 500 rounds UMC JHP for $174 a couple months ago. I find GAP ammo at all the places I shoot and buy at, though not in great as abundance as other calibers. Got mine a year before the ACP came out and I probably would have waited had I known (I'm still really annoyed with SA about this) but I think it's a fine gun.