PDA

View Full Version : rem 700 vtr

ranger dave
March 18, 2008, 06:24 PM
I WAS AT THE GUN SHOP TODAY AND SAW A REM VRT IT LOOKS REALY COOL BUT HAS ANTONE FIRED ONE :confused:

ndking1126
March 18, 2008, 08:29 PM
I've found very little on the accuracty so far... kind of frustrating, actually!

For me, the design will boil down to one thing. If it's accurate, I'll think it's the coolest thing to come down the pipe in sometime. However, if it doesn't perform, it will just seem like a waiste and will come across looking stupid. Form fits function, after all.

Darren007
March 18, 2008, 08:40 PM
A guy had one at the range in .308...He had just bought it the day before, and was shooting cloverleaf, 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I think he was using Black Hills factory ammo, but I could be wrong.

Lonewulff
March 19, 2008, 01:28 PM
anybody else got anything on the accuracy of these things? thinking of getting one in .308

Inspector3711
March 19, 2008, 01:48 PM
I was thinking about saving for one but I ended up with a deal I couldn't pass up on a 700 LV SF...

Here's a post about VTR accuracy though.. Looks nice.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=706023

psdan000
March 19, 2008, 10:18 PM
wow those are some nice groups out of that rifle, even though it took a little work. wonder what kind of groups it would be capable "out of the box". im still on the fence over the triangular barrel though.

Inspector3711
March 19, 2008, 10:30 PM
yeah the triangular barrel. personally i think it looks a little to star wars. However, it does seem to me that A: it would allow the heat to more rapidly rise to the top of the barrel. Heat rises and since the top is narrow it should, in my mind, accelerate cooling progessively as the heat rises into thinner steel. B: this design probably allowed them to remove more material while maintaining rigidity. I wonder about production yield as well. I don't know if it applies, but cutting triangular pieces would allow a higher yield than cutting tubes if you were cutting from a square or rectangular block... Just a thought.

JonProphet
March 21, 2008, 05:01 PM
I bought this rifle in .308. I don't know much about performance shooting. I like the rifle. I've only put 50 rounds through it. Rounds were fairly accurate. I'm working on learning how to shoot the rifle better.

-JD-

taylorce1
March 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
im still on the fence over the triangular barrel though.

I'm on the side of the fence if it shoots who cares! People will get used to it just like they did when barrels went from octagon to half-round and then round. Now not only do we have flutes we have spiral-fluted barrels and some that look like a twisted octagon. To me the triangular barrel is more of a marketing gimmick than having an actual purpose or else it probably would have already been done by now.