PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my .45

ncdmz
March 15, 2008, 08:12 PM
I purchased my Colt Officer's Model in 1985 and started reloading back then as well. I had the Colt throated & polished shortly after I purchased it.This year, after a ten year hiatus, I made a New Year's resolution to get back into shooting and reloading and maybe acquire a few more weapons.

Last week, I took my trusty Colt to an indoor range and shot targets at 25 & 35 feet. I was pleased my accuracy hadn't suffered during my ten year layoff, but I experienced about a dozen FTE & FTF out of 200 rounds that I don't recall having ten years ago.

I shoot 185 gr SW lead bullets using 5.3 gr of Win 231 (the same configuration I used in the 1980's & 90's with good results). I use three magazines made by Colt and both the magazines and pistol were spotless prior to shooting.

I estimate I've shot 3-4 thousand rounds through the Colt over the years. Does anybody have any idea what may be causing the FTE's and FTF's? Do I need to change the recoil springs? Magazine springs?

Thanks for any suggestions!

David Z.

surg_res
March 15, 2008, 08:48 PM
If the action just needed a little bump to finish the cycle, it is likely the mainspring as you suggested. If the action came to a hard stop, I'd start with a complete dissassembly and inspection. Did you store your weapon open for a long period of time? Is the brass on the ammo still shiny?

F=ma
March 15, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have an Officer's enhanced model just a few years younger that is particularly finicky about the extractor tension. I'd suggest checking that for the FTE; dunno about FTF

nutty ned
March 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
Try the recoil spring first.

ncdmz
March 15, 2008, 09:24 PM
Most of the failures were FTE. The weapon's been stored in a Boyt soft-case. The brass was shiny (I tumble it before I reload) and I meticulously clean the weapon three times after I fire it.

How do you go about checking the extractor tension?

surg_res
March 16, 2008, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure. If it extracts crisply manually, it should cycle just fine. I can't say that either of my colts have ever done that, and mine aren't that clean (MkIV series 80 and Government series 70). I'm wondering now if it is your brass. Perhaps the reloaded brass has expanded and is hanging up in the chamber. What kind of brass is it, how many reloads etc.? I'd try a box of new ammo.

crazy charlie
March 16, 2008, 11:32 PM
Is the ammo fresh?

Sevens
March 17, 2008, 12:27 AM
Process of elimination might be the shortest route to a conclusion-- take out the variables one by one.

Hold on to the reloads for now, and feed the pistol some factory ammo. If it acts up, then start looking at the recoil spring and the firing pin spring. A fresh new magazine would be next on my list, it certainly wouldn't be money wasted as another quality magazine is a good addition to the pistol.

Colt Delta Elite
March 17, 2008, 08:38 AM
Try a box of quality factory ammo.

Sarge
March 17, 2008, 09:20 AM
If you haven't replaced the recoil spring in that many round's- it's time. The Officer-sized guns munch recoil springs faster than 5" guns.

The hands-down best replacement for these guns is the Ed Brown 'Reverse Plug' unit. This works well enough that I adapted it to an Auto Ordnance 'Pit Bull', solving its FTRB problems. It had been a problem child, busting both the spring plug and bushing in the first 100 rounds. It ran slick as a whistle after the reverse-plug mod.

Installing Ed's Reverse Plug Recoil System does require machining or filing away about 1/10 inch from the rear face of the recoil spring tube, on the bottom of the slide. The upside is that you'll never have watch your recoil spring plug launch itself downrange in the middle of a string.

badlander
March 17, 2008, 05:50 PM
After 10 years of downtime did you lube the gun befor shooting it?
Sorry had to ask.