PDA

View Full Version : Full length guide rod benefits?

FM12
March 14, 2008, 10:29 AM
My new S&W 1911 came with a FLGR. I've never had a pistol so equipped, what are the benefits?

parrothead2581
March 14, 2008, 10:52 AM
A bit more weight up front, and that is about it.

Some will say it prevents spring bind, but, there's no real room for binding to happen.

M1911
March 14, 2008, 11:04 AM
A bit more weight up front, and that is about it.+1

jhansman
March 14, 2008, 12:56 PM
I ditched the two-piece FL rod in my SA Loaded for a shorty, shock buffer, and stainless plug. Much easier to field strip. Having to use a hex wrench to disassemble offsets any dubious gain a FL rod may offer (mine shoots the same with the shorty rod).

Playboypenguin
March 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
...and I personally only see disadvantages to the full length guide rods.

I think they are one of those things were someone looked for a solution to a problem that did not exist.

I think the original designers of the 1911 had it right and the full length rod just makes the gun harder to maintain while giving no real benefits.

FM12
March 14, 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks, fellows. I've been shooting 1911s since 1974:eek:,( thought I knew it all, lol). Thanks for taking time to respond:D

Fozzy_Bear
March 14, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think the original designers of the 1911 had it right

That would be a guy named John Moses Browning.

Basicly one of the best mechanical designers the human race has ever produced.

- No, Really.

Sure, modern designers have carbon fiber, and other technologies that he just didn't have. So there are better choices for various applications today... But in general, if JMB said it should be that way, I'll stick with that.

IdahoG36
March 14, 2008, 04:08 PM
This is not intended to be rude to anybody that has posted so far, but what makes dissasembly/reassembly more difficult with a full length guide rod? Every 1911 I own or have ever owned has had one, and takedown is a cinch. I have taken 1911s apart that have standard guide rods also, and it doesn't take any more time or effort to dissassemble a 1911 with a full length guide rod as opposed to a standard guide rod.

Charles S
March 14, 2008, 04:12 PM
This is not intended to be rude to anybody that has posted so far, but what makes dissasembly/reassembly more difficult with a full length guide rod?

For the vast majority of FLGR designs you will need a tool or a pin to disassemble them. However there are no tools required without a FLGR.

IdahoG36
March 14, 2008, 05:07 PM
I understand that part, but it takes no longer to take one apart over the other.
Now a 4" 1911 with a bull barrel is a b****!! I had a Kimber Pro Raptor at one time, and it sucked to take apart. I could definately appreciate a standard guide rod set up there.:D

Officer's Match
March 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
My only FLGR 1911 is the PT1911 I just snagged. Thus far I've stripped it the same way as always. It is bushingless bull barrel 1911's that see more trouble to me. BTW, ran 100 flawless rounds thru the PT today, and frankly I am more than impressed. I really like that pistol.

BigJimP
March 14, 2008, 05:57 PM
I like the full length guide rod - and I think it makes it an easier gun to break down.

On a short guide rod - the only one I have is a Les Baer Monolith model - and that darn short rod seems to allow the spring to kink and it rockets around the shop once in a while when I'm taking it apart - and it aggravates the heck out of me. I think the short rod is fine once everything is back together in the gun - and its never kinked in the gun - but I hate it for takedown.

When I have that Baer refinished in a few years.... I intend to send it to Wilson Combat and have it completely gone thru - and the rod replaced with a full length guide rod, and a shock buffer - and returned with a better finish than it ever had to start with ...... It aggravates me that much...

shepherddogs
March 14, 2008, 06:11 PM
The only difference I've noticed is they are a lot easier to take down after I install a cheap standard guide rod and throw the FL one in the box with the papers.

Playboypenguin
March 14, 2008, 06:13 PM
You are in the field with...

... a full length guide rod. No tool or sufficent item to use as a tool equals no break down.

...no full length guide rod. Simple tool free break down.

Double Naught Spy
March 14, 2008, 06:32 PM
If you use a FLGR that doesn't come apart or require a pin, such as a Wilson Combat FLGR, you can break down your gun just fine and dandy, in the field or out, with no tools. Just like with the stubby, you depress the spring end cap and rotate the barrel bushing.

I think the original designers of the 1911 had it right and the full length rod just makes the gun harder to maintain while giving no real benefits.

Actually, JMB used them in several prototypes, but the 1911 really wasn't his gun, but a gun that had the hands of the US Military all over it. They told him what they wanted and he made the changes. It isn't his 'masterpiece' as many claim, an illegitimate child of his. So, JMB did use them, even if they didn't go into 1911 production.

solz56
March 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'd ditch the FLGR in favor of the plug. The FLGR is like tits on a bull. :) There's no reason you should have to whip out an allen wrench just to field strip a pistol.

Magyar
March 14, 2008, 06:46 PM
+2 on what others have commented. BTW, nice pic...Have you taken it out to the range? Would be interested in a range report. I sometimes am leery of magazine gun reviews. :)

parrothead2581
March 14, 2008, 10:30 PM
If you use a FLGR that doesn't come apart or require a pin, such as a Wilson Combat FLGR, you can break down your gun just fine and dandy, in the field or out, with no tools. Just like with the stubby, you depress the spring end cap and rotate the barrel bushing.

+1 on this. A One Piece FLGR does not require any special tools to disassemble the pistol and is not much slower to disassemble in the field. The two piece FLGR, as seen on some SA and Kimber pistols, does require a special tool.

The S&W shown above is of the 1 piece variety, and does not require any special tools to disassemble.

I'm not advocating the use of these rods, just noting that there is a difference. It seems many folks on the 'net read "FLGR" and automatically reference the 2 piece, & don't acknowledge that there is a one piece as well.

Officer's Match
March 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Nor does the PT1911's FLGR.

Playboypenguin
March 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
Nor does the PT1911's FLGR.
Never had the chance to break down one of these. They seem to be a rare beast here. I wonder why they are not more prevalent yet?

Officer's Match
March 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
'Cause they're POS Tauri. :rolleyes:

Mine was flawless today for all 100 rounds. And accurate too. I'm gonna' have fun with that one.

Playboypenguin
March 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
Mine was flawless today for all 100 rounds. And accurate too. I'm gonna' have fun with that one.
I have shot one and liked it. It was a blued one though. I am anxious to see a stainless one. :)

Officer's Match
March 14, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have shot one and liked it. It was a blued one though. I am anxious to see a stainless one

Looked at one today. The frontstrap checkering looks better on them - it isn't particularly crisp on the blued ones, but it feels/works great.

Hawg
March 15, 2008, 12:22 AM
You don't need a tool to separate the slide with barrel and spring still in place. Just pop out the slide lock lever and slide the whole thing off the front. Spring doesn't go jumping off somewhere. Everything stays in place. It takes a tool to break the slide components down and the spring can be a bit of a bugger to reinstall the first few times you do it. If you have a custom barrel and a tight barrel bushing you need a tool to remove it anyway so what's one more? I kinda like the FLGR after I got used to it.