PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 MOA

tyrajam
March 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
I saw in Rugers catalogue they have come out with a mini 14 guaranteed to shoot under a minute angle. They even talked about a competition that was won by their shooter with this mini against other pro's with AR's. Anyone shoot one of these????

sholling
March 11, 2008, 10:03 AM
I haven't seen one yet but supposedly they slip-streamed a heavier barrel into the standard ranch rifle beginning this year. Its still a 580 series so you have to go by the serial numbers to know if you're getting one. You could also be referring to the bull barreled target model.

somerled
March 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
They have an "accuracy enhancing adjustable harmonic dampener that allows the shooter to tune the rifle to a favorite load".

I hope it works. The last two Mini-14s I owned were not reliable with anything but the five-round Ruger magazines. They didn't feed well with the 20-round Ruger mags, but those worked better than aftermarket magazines. One would shoot 4 to 6 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench. The other would do good to keep all the rounds on a paper plate. The barrels would get so hot after 10 to 15 rounds, they would raise blisters. The handguards would get hot so that the rifles would have to be laid aside.

I do like the safety inside the trigger guard. Other than than that, the AR-15 suits me better. The Bushmaster lower/DPMS upper I have now will put 52-grain Sierra BTHP match bullets into 3/4" with almost-boring regularity. It still has a stock trigger.

David Berkowitz
March 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
Please excuse the question from a relative newcomber.
I understand the relationship between reliability and magazine, but what is the relationship betwen magazine and accuracy?

sholling
March 11, 2008, 11:50 PM
but what is the relationship betwen magazine and accuracy?There isn't one.

David Berkowitz
March 12, 2008, 02:03 AM
Am I reading somerled's post incorrectly?
It appears he is making the relationship, but I could be wrong.
Sholling, you might note on another post that I bought the Mini-14. On the subject of magazines, it comes with a 5 round magazine. Does anyone make a good quality 10 round that I can get? Opperative words are "good quality".
I don't think 20's are legal here.