PDA

View Full Version : Best way to preserve semi-autos

viktor.miller
March 7, 2008, 07:59 PM
I just bought my first pistol, a S&W sigma 9mm. I was just wondering what the best way to make it last. Types of oil, lubricant, etc, Thanks!

tplumeri
March 7, 2008, 08:01 PM
Use weapon shield for everything.

Playboypenguin
March 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
Never shoot it and oil it regularly. :)

hanno
March 7, 2008, 08:08 PM
There are hundreds of products to choose from and most if not all of them work very well. Everything from the latest gee-whiz formula to using Mobil 1. It comes down to a matter of preference. I use Hoppes and CLP (CLP is used by the U.S. military for everything from pistols to MGs and beyond). They work for me. Find the product that works for you. The important thing is to keep your gun clean, dry, and rust free.

viktor.miller
March 7, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys!

Bentonville
March 7, 2008, 10:59 PM
EEZOX for finish protection. Hands Down in my experience. Lube: any of the gun lubes are great. I like Weapon Shield. Grease: militec works for me. Cleaning: everyone has his favorites. I use Hoppes for the barrel and Breakfree CLP, weapon shield, TriFlow, and anything I happen to have with me for the inner slide/frame.

Sixpak
March 7, 2008, 11:59 PM
To me weapon shield is the ultimate in oiling , preserving and protecting. Plus it can cut cleaning time in half for most semi autos. Try it out.

http://www.weaponshield.com/

daferg2
March 8, 2008, 12:41 AM
... to keep it cleaned and lubricated (but don't over lube it. Read the manual for directions of where and how much to use). Your sigma should last for thousands of rounds as long as you keep it maintained. Any lubricant/protectant designed for firearms will suffice. Now get out there and shoot your gun without worrying about wearing it out. If you're like me, you'll accumulate more guns than you can ever wear out after "gun fever" gets a hold of you anyway!!

P97
March 8, 2008, 09:00 AM
I have Stainless guns that I've had for several years that has never had anything but Eezox used on them. My CCW has had only Eezox on it and it is several year sold and looks and functions like brand new. :)

David the Gnome
March 8, 2008, 09:25 AM
I just picked up a bottle of Break Free CLP to give a try. It put some life back in one of my recently purchased P6's. ;)

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 8, 2008, 10:02 AM
The real answer is to leave it in the box---but you sound like you want to shoot it.

A Sigma I would just keep clean and pretty much dry---minimal--if any, lube on it.

harrydog
March 8, 2008, 10:42 AM
I don't know much about the S&W Sigma, but most semi-autos being sold today should be able to go 20,000 rounds without any major problems. Most people will never even shoot a tenth of that through their guns. But even if you do, S&W carries a lifetime warranty and their customer service is very good.
So, as others have said, just clean and lube it after each use and you should have no worries.