PDA

View Full Version : 40s&w +p

kmad61
March 7, 2008, 07:30 PM
I ordered some ammo from Georgia arms,It is the 155gr gold dot +p.
Is this round going to be safe in my Glock 23 and S&W 99.I have had no dealings with the 40+p.

HappyGunner
March 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
I see no problem with the +P in the G23 I have no idea about the S&W.

Officer's Match
March 7, 2008, 09:44 PM
They are taking some liberties with language - I believe there's no such thing as +P in 40SW.

ScaryWoody
March 7, 2008, 10:19 PM
Georgia Arms does offer a 155gr, 165gr, 180gr Gold Dot +P and +P+. Check it out at http://www.georgia-arms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3399

Technosavant
March 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
I was under the impression that SAAMI didn't recognize a +P loading for .40S&W. It usually indicates a 10% above max pressure, but the .40 doesn't have a huge safety margin; it's already rather high pressure with not much room for error.

Folks have run into problems with standard pressure .40 loads in weak brass, I'm not sure I'd try a +P load, and as a matter of course I steer clear of +P+ in anything. They're really leaving themselves open by selling that much juice in that cartridge.

JohnKSa
March 7, 2008, 10:34 PM
I was under the impression that SAAMI didn't recognize a +P loading for .40S&W.It doesn't.They're really leaving themselves open by selling that much juice in that cartridge.More likely (and I hope this is true since it's the safer option) they've discovered that this is a great way to sell their standard pressure .40S&W ammunition.

TacticalDefense1911
March 8, 2008, 07:45 AM
I was under the impression that SAAMI didn't recognize a +P loading for .40S&W. It usually indicates a 10% above max pressure, but the .40 doesn't have a huge safety margin; it's already rather high pressure with not much room for error.

I agree. I believe they are taking some liberties there by saying it is +P.

Officer's Match
March 8, 2008, 08:27 AM
Me too. ;)

vox rationis
March 8, 2008, 12:35 PM
I thought that the .40 is a 35,000 psi loading just like the 9mm? A reloader needs to chime in. Maybe a +P .40 is a no go because it is already filled to the brim ;)

N.H. Yankee
March 8, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sure hope you have a newer Glock 40 with the supported chamber, there's been a few KABOOMS with Glock 40's. I miked out used once fired range brass ( 2000 out of 5000 ) from a police range a few years back, all shot out of Glocks and some had some real severe bulging and much of the brass was so far out of spec it couldn't be reloaded. This is due to varying chamber sizes and nonsupported chambers that Glock 40's had. I heard Glock is now selling their guns with supported chamber in 40 though I cannot verify that first hand. The brass was Speer and a few other brands but mostly speer. There has never been a so called +p rating for the 40 as mentioned, as said Georgia arms is putting a bit of a spin cycle on using the +p terminology. The ammo may very well be above factory spec, but some of the factory stuff is right at the edge as far as pressure. Personnaly if I didn't have a supported chamber I wouldn't tempt fate.

Boris Bush
March 8, 2008, 01:02 PM
Even CIP max pressure is only 1200 psi higher. Not enough to claim +P in a SAAMI spec load. Now 9mm CIP is 4200 psi higher in CIP than SAAMI. A CIP standard psi load is now a +P in SAAMI land. My favorite is the 7.65 Browning, There is a huge difference of 6200 psi in standard loads! Thats why my BUG is stoked ONLY with CIP loaded ammo for that caliber.

FWIW SAAMI specs are on the very weak side. CIP tends to keep it real, but if they are only loading 40 1200 psi hotter, then that kind of gives ya a good idea that more then standard psi is probably not a good idea.

Something that is not too far fetched is maybe they have powders they can buy but we can not that give higher velocities and keep the psi down. Mr regular guy wont understand this safe rise in velocity, so to keep it easy for mr. normal guy to understand they label it as +P.... Just a thought.

Turnerm66
March 8, 2008, 03:41 PM
I just bought a 23 and they are still selling them w/ the deep throught and unsupported at the bottom. This is why you do not reload brass shot from Glocks, 9 or 40. The case takes some real stress when fire. That being said...they do sell many awesome aftermarket barrels that are traditional rifled and fully support the case. These are drop in and work fine for reloading, as long as you know how to reload and are not one of those nuts that are trying to make a cartridge one class up (loading 9's to be 40's). The whole kaboom thing is mostly related to inexperienced reloaders (or shooters of reloads) using brass that were fire once, twice three times out of an unsupported barrel or overloading them. The reason for the Glock unsupported barrel configuration is reliablilty of feeding...they will feed almost anything, even if they are dirty, or full of dirt. Hope this helps shed some light on the topic.

DENALI
March 8, 2008, 03:43 PM
There is no such animal as +p or +P+ .40S&W. I have purchased 9mm Gold dot from these guy's and it was fine, but I would never give my money to anyone offering .40 S&W with those claims attached to it.

HappyGunner
March 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
I have never read of any Glock KaBooming on any quality Factory Ammo.:) But I have read of Glocks and many other handguns KaBooming on reloaded Ammo.:rolleyes:

Dougalachi
March 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
I use the same ammunition you speak of in my Sig P229, and have never had a problem with it. It is my carry ammunition, and I have no complaints, except for the price of ammunition in general these days.

kmad61
March 8, 2008, 05:17 PM
Well Georgia Arms is quality factory loaded ammo,so I guess everything will be alright.The crazy thing about the whole deal was they were out of what I ordered and sent me the 155gr +p as a subsitute.

guntotin_fool
March 8, 2008, 05:34 PM
Google gunzone, G23 glock 23 KaBoom or KB

it happens with factory, with reloads, with alot of brands.

It happened to me, with speer Golddots, factory bought, Smyrna sent me a BRAND new gun.

HappyGunner
March 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
Last year at this local dealer I spotted box's of Rem. Golden Saber 185gr JHP +P priced at $10 a box of 20 online it was priced at $22. Well I picked up a few box's and every time I went there I bought a few more. I was told later that they were worried about the +P someone had given them a horror story I am thinking and they just wanted to sell if off. Well I noticed today it's priced at $25 many places online.:)

I sure am glad they priced it at $10 ;)

Bonehead Baker
March 8, 2008, 10:24 PM
I bought a bunch of them for my SIG 229. Shot a bunch of them. No problem but they shure didn't seam like they shot like +P. Seamed light to me.

Shadi Khalil
March 8, 2008, 10:52 PM
My old range used to sell there ammo when you rented a gun. I liked their 357and .38 loads, I've looked around for it since the range closed down but no luck. Maybe I'll go the online route.

B.N.Real
March 8, 2008, 11:10 PM
The 40 round is supposed to be plenty powerful enough.

I am surprised that they are offering a +p in it and frankly a little concerned if someone is offering +p+ rounds in it.

It's not a caliber that has the development time or history that the 9mm has.

And the guns that fire this cartridge have had some issues with reloads.

If you want to fire +p+ rounds in 40 S&W,should'nt you be better served by simply buying a 10mm handgun to start with?

Turnerm66
March 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
I agree w/ B N Real

mustang66maniac
March 10, 2008, 11:18 AM
I really don't think it is +p or +p+. If you look at the product referred to as "+P" on Gerogia-arms website, the brand is speer gold dot, 155gr and 165gr. HOWEVER, lets look at speer's website......hmm no +P or +P+ designation there, but its the SAME bullet. I would take the manufacturers word and assume good ol' Georgia-arms is just trying to sell extra boxes of ammo.

Webleymkv
March 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'd say that the .40S&W +P and +P+ label is most likely a marketing ploy. SAAMI only recognizes 9mm, .38 Special, and .45 ACP as having +P variants. They have probably gone the same route as Double Tap and simply used different powders to yield higher velocities while keeping the pressure close to the SAAMI maximum. In fact, if you compare Georgia Arms +P+ and Double Tap standard pressure .40 ballistics, you'll find them strikingly similar. I'd say that the +P and +P+ label is probably there solely to sound more impressive.

IdahoG36
March 10, 2008, 01:56 PM
Buffalo Bore also offers a .40 S&W +p loading.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#40sw

bclark1
March 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
BB is pretty generous with their disclaimers about when and where to use their ammo. There has been enough bulged .40 brass, out of a number of gun makes, that making a true +P .40 for use across the board would be asking for trouble, whether or not it's considered an "official" load.

IdahoG36
March 10, 2008, 03:58 PM
I agree. If there were true .40 S&W+P loads out there, GLOCK could be in trouble. The .40S&W is a high pressure round in standard loads. Add more pressure, with an unsupported chamber, and there would be quite a few blown up guns. Other guns might be able to handle it for a while, but it would definately reduce the service life of the pistol.

Dave85
March 11, 2008, 12:34 AM
If they are playing around with the already "edge of the envelope" .40 pressures, it seems foolish and wasteful. As has been stated here, there is already a .40 S&W +P; it's called 10mm.

I have to say, I find it annoying that some manufacturers are playing fast and loose with this terminology. Once rendered ambiguous, such descriptives lose all usefulness.

scorpiusdeus
March 17, 2008, 09:03 PM
As Glocks are already very picky about ammo in general and .40 S&W specifically, I'd be very cautious.

G22
March 17, 2008, 09:26 PM
my glock 22 is in.40 and I feed it anything and everything , no problems to speak of. No need for +p's I guess either. I love the .40 it's the best of both worlds, you get some velocity , and knockdown powers good to:rolleyes: