PDA

View Full Version : colt: defender VS commander

3-fitty-7
March 6, 2008, 12:12 AM
my local shop has a defender and commander for around the same price, the defender is used for about $750. my 5" gov't model is gettin bigger as the weather gets warmer so i'm just looking for a colt 1911 that i can comfortably iwb CC. i know the defender will obviously be more comfortable but is the extra inch of barrel on the commander worth the weight? also hows does recoil between the 2 compare to my 5"? thanks in advance.

somerled
March 6, 2008, 08:41 PM
The shorter grip makes the Defender a little easier to carry IWB under a shirt. When I carry one behind my hip, the extra inch of length isn't that noticeable although it seems the Commander rides tighter when I run. I'm not as apt to hold it in place as the shorter pistol.

If the Commander also has an alloy frame, I don't think there is a huge amount of weight savings going to the Defender because of the barrel design. Colt has left the weights off its website. As far as reliability goes, I would favor the Commander. For me, it is more controllable with +P ammo because of the longer grip.

The longer 7-round magazine comes out of most mag pouches easier. However they are more apt to gouge my spare tire. It is an added incentive to lose weight, I would say. :)

Murdock
March 7, 2008, 08:32 AM
When the weather gets too warm for belt carry or shoulder harness carry, I switch to a fanny pack, and keep the 5" gun. Altering the means of carry always seemed like an economical alternative to the purchase of a different weapon, especially when one has developed a level of skill with a particular pattern of weapon. Speed of the draw is secondary in importance to the surprise of the draw, I believe; no draw is quicker that one that is smooth and unexpected. A slightly slower draw of the gun you have with you is tactically superior to the gun that you normally draw from the slick holster and gun that you left at home.

After 9/11 I began carrying daily, but work in a setting where concealed carry would be tricky. Off body carry (e.g.; fanny pack, attache case, hollow textbook, etc.) requires a higher level of discipline than that needed for on-the-person carry, since you have to keep the carrying device with you, or within reach, for it to be secure and of any use, and if you are wearing your piece you don't have that concern. And, of course, safety and security of the weapon when it's not under your direct control is a big concern, and needs to be factored into your tactical situation.

When I was struggling with these issues a while back, I bought a Defender, thinking that that would make the carry issue easier. It had an edge on the front of the slide sharp enough to cut the hand, and certainly sharp enough to slice the inside of a leather holster. Anyway, I realized that I didn't really need a short 1911, as a 5" concealed just as well for me, and traded that critter.

3-fitty-7
March 7, 2008, 01:54 PM
i would love to just carry a fanny pack but i think it would look strange for a mid 20's guy walking around the city with one. for me it's a dead giveaway that someone is carrying and what if the person robbing you with a knife/gun says "gimme your fanny pack"? thanks for the replies so far tho guys i think i would go with the commander and i'll definately be looking into alternative carry methods for the big guy.

Murdock
March 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
I was leaving work one day, and put my fanny pack on just before I walked out, after unlocking it from my file cabinet. (Don't use a black one; they scream GUN INSIDE!). One of the other fellas looked me over, sneered and said "You're not from around here, are ya?" (It's kind of a redneck area I live in). I said "Yeah, I guess it looks kind of dorky, doesn't it? Someday I'll tell you why I use it." They don't think dorks are armed, you see.

Someday I may be in a situation where I can be like dorky Gomer Pyle and say, "Suprise! Suprise! Suprise!"

DMK
March 7, 2008, 10:38 PM
I prefer to combine the best qualities of both. :)

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/CCO2.jpg
Colt CCO: 4.25" barreled Comander slide on an alloy Officer's frame.

Don H
March 7, 2008, 11:12 PM
3" better for pocket-carry.

Shadi Khalil
March 8, 2008, 04:09 AM
How do you pocket carry a three inch 1911?

curmudgeon1
March 8, 2008, 08:31 AM
Actually, my Colt New Agent fits in my front jeans pocket very easily; prints a little tho' if you can live with that.

Don H
March 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
How do you pocket carry a three inch 1911?
In a custom square-bottom leather holster by hbeleatherworks. I wear loose jeans and select them for pocket size. I buy cargo-pocket shorts with a large pocket behind the cargo pocket. The square holster bottom keeps the pistol upright.

3-fitty-7
March 8, 2008, 11:17 AM
i like that ALOT dmk, thanks for sharing the pic.

michael t
March 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
I have a LTW Commander and a Defender along with a New Agent . Agent and Defender conceal a little better in grip. Weight no real difference.
If a steel frame Commander might as well keep 5" .
As for relieabilty I find the Defender and Agent to be as relieable as any other 1911 Colt I have. That is 100% relieable.
Colt has the Compact 45 worked out.

tegemu
March 11, 2008, 07:05 AM
I too carry a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry II in my pocket, as mentioned, the key is loose britches and a good pocket holster. Mine prints like a wallet and is easy to draw and reholster. The major selling point for me is that you can put your hand in your pocket and be unobsevedly, instantly ready to respond to any threat.