PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Auto .22's besides Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22?

AJD21
March 5, 2008, 05:55 PM
What are some semi-atuo rifles that are excellent besides the Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22?

I was looking at the Browning .22 and liked its solid feel.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=022B&cat_id=021&type_id=001

Any experience on the reliability and accuracy?

How about the Thompson Center R-55?

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/rimfireRifles.php

Thanks for the input.

Seven High
March 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
Take a look at the Remington 552.

Six Shooter Steve
March 5, 2008, 07:57 PM
I have a 1976 Browning auto .22. Great gun, as long as you dont mind that it has a very small forearm. Kinda cool that the emptys come out the bottom of the reciever. Cant go wrong with a Browning just broke!

Tom2
March 5, 2008, 08:44 PM
I have heard alot of nice about those Remington nylon .22's. Supposedly the nylon guts make it self lubricating, so you can shoot it alot without cleaning, as there would be no oil or grease for gumming up with the crud from the ammo. And you can't break the stock. Just the only thing that I don't care for is the rear sight looks a little cheesy or lightweight, but if you get a nice one they seem to hold value being out of print and perhaps almost collectables. I had a Thomson/Center .22 semiauto at one time. Very beautiful and well made and fitted little rifle for the money. Just did not like the low capacity box mag hanging down, and I saw the problem that others noted, that it shaved the bullets when feeding which affects accuracy, a shame, as it is so well made. Probably as accurate as a 10-22 or maybe more so even with the bullet damage. Better out of the box sights than Ruger. Then there is the Browning semiauto with the slim receiver and mag in stock but you will have to spend quite alot more for one, however they are an investment and a pride of ownership thing. EDIT-The T/C with the Ruger mag system would be the absolute best of all worlds in a .22 that is not priced real high. Some gunsmith ought to takle that.

RonJ
March 5, 2008, 10:24 PM
Another vote for the Remington 552.

45Dave
March 5, 2008, 10:43 PM
I own and shoot a browning 22 as you linked to. Works like a dream and delightful to take to the range or field.
Easy to clean and nice to be able to break it down for transportation.

joe poteat
March 5, 2008, 10:47 PM
Stevens 62. Shoots good and with synthetic stock is good knock around cheap gun. About $125 at Walmart.