PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: Sig P229 Elite Stainless

Playboypenguin
March 2, 2008, 06:33 PM
This is a range report on my new .40S&W Sig P229 Elite Stainless. It is my first Sig and I had to have it to see if they live up to the hype.

Form: This gun is a bit of a brick but is very handsome in it's own way. The all stainless steel build and attention to detail make this a very impressive looking firearm. The gun has strong lines and even the rail is attractively designed and does not look like an after thought but instead looks like an integral part of the design. The stock wood grips are also very attractive but maybe a bit thick. Overall it is a very distinctive and good looking firearm. I will also add that it has the best de-cocker I have ever experienced. The night sights are not too shabby either.

Fit: This gun is super solid. It feels like it was carved out of a single block of steel. All variances are small and everything is tight and lines up perfectly. It is no way streamline but it shows an extreme attention to detail.

Finish: The gun is very finely finished. The surfaces are very evenly finished with no high or low spots. All engravings are even and well done. The grips are very well made and fit perfectly. The trigger and controls are finished in a black color which I do not like but it is well done.

Feel: The Sig feels extremely good in my hand. It is solid and heavy. It really feels like a substantial weapon. It balances very well but is a bit thick in the grips.

Function: The gun performed flawlessly. It handled both HP and FMJ ammo with ease and never failed to cycle a single round. There was not a single FTF or FTE. The trigger was very nice in both SA and DA. The controls are very easy to operate and there is no manual safety to worry about engaging or disengaging.

The gun was also very, very accurate. I always add the disclaimer that I am not the worlds greatest shot so my targets are not an example of the best the gun can do, but just and example of the best I can do with it. This gun is heavy and absorbs the snappy .40S&W round with ease. The thing I noticed was how the slide cycled. It was very smooth and much different that any auto-loader I own. It was almost like a old fashioned typewriter in fast motion. It is really hard to describe but I liked it. The guns weight makes it easy to get the gun back on target almost instantly.

Flaws: The gun is heavy...some might consider it too heavy but I do not mind the weight at all. I bought the heavire gun because I wanted the all stainless build. An aluminum frame version is available that is much lighter. The wood grips are also very thick. many people would probably find them too big but the regular version of the gun is much thinner if the Elite is too thick for you. I am not crazy about the black finish on the trigger and other controls but I can live with it.

Target 1 was shot at 25 feet off-hand in a rapid fire manner. Meaning after the intial sight picture I fired repeatedly with re-aquiring a sight. I just pointed and pulled the trigger.

Target 2 was also shot at 25 feet. Group 1 and 2 where both 10 shots fired off-hand in a slow and deliberate manner...meaning I took a split second between shots to re-aquire a sight picture but it still only took 10-12 seconds for the entire grouping.

Target 3 was shot at 50 feet. Both groups were shot off-hand in a slow and deliberate manner. These grouping I took a little more time on and steadied my hand after each shot.

Final impression: This gun definitely lives up to the hype and then some. It is one of those guns you will not appreciate until you get a chance to shoot one. It wasn't cheap but it was worth the money. The weight is a factor but a good holster makes it very able to carry. It is big, blocky, and could easily be seen by some as a cinder block with sights on it but I have come to really appreciate the looks and quality of this gun. It was an impulse buy but I have not regretted it one bit.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Targets/SigTarget1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Targets/SigTarget2.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Targets/SigTarget3.jpg

Shadi Khalil
March 2, 2008, 06:41 PM
even the rail is attractively designed and does not look like an after thought but instead looks like an integral part of the design.

Excellent observation.

A great write up too. I am a recent Sig convert, they truely are an experience to shoot. What caliber did you get? Those look like 9mm. tracks from here...

Playboypenguin
March 2, 2008, 06:45 PM
What caliber did you get? Those look like 9mm. tracks from here...
I have the .40S&W version. I was surprised at how much tidier holes it made than the .45acp guns.

Shadi Khalil
March 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
I see....looking at your pics again I noticed the controls and triggers, they really should be stainless as well. Maybe thats something you could re-finish. Are you getting the .357 barrel? My next purchase will be the same sig I carry now but in .357/.40. Sorry for all the questions, I just really love these guns.

Playboypenguin
March 2, 2008, 06:54 PM
I thought about getting the additional barrel for this gun but I like it so much I would rather just get another Sig in the .357sig or .45acp version. :)

Nanotech
March 2, 2008, 07:03 PM
Congratulations on your acquisition! Thank you very much for the detailed review. I believe that you will be even more impressed with the design, reliability, and accuracy of your SIG Sauer after several thousand more rounds. They definitely grow on you! Whenever you get an itch for a new .45 ACP-chambered "cinder block", one of the many variations of the P220 certainly deserves evaluation. :D

Cheers,

-Nanotech

Playboypenguin
March 3, 2008, 02:29 PM
They definitely grow on you! Whenever you get an itch for a new .45 ACP-chambered "cinder block", one of the many variations of the P220 certainly deserves evaluation.
It will be awhile before I can afford another one, but I definitely see another Sig in my future. :)

ForksLaPush
March 3, 2008, 04:15 PM
Nice gun. Good Shootin. Thanks for the review. I'm seriously considering this gun in 357 Sig.

Officer's Match
March 3, 2008, 07:16 PM
Appears the sights are 'purt much spot on. ;)

B.N.Real
March 3, 2008, 11:20 PM
LOL.

Target two.

That's a short gunfight you got there.

Nice shooting!

poppy
March 4, 2008, 12:16 PM
Nice shootin' PBP.

I agree that the controls should match the frame. Everything matches on my P229SAS, but then again the frame is black. One would think that Sig could use something other than the standard controls for such an expensive gun.

I'll say one thing for you, when you like something (all stainless), you stick with it. Before I bought my first Sig the dealer tried to talk me into the all stainless P229. It really felt too heavy for me.

After shooting the P229SAS with both 40S&W and 357Sig, I was glad that I didn't get the all stainless model, because the 229 has to the softest 40 I have ever shot. But to each his own.

What did you think about the grip thickness. :rolleyes:;)

seeker073180
March 4, 2008, 06:00 PM
PBP - I'm pretty new to this forum, but already I can see that you have a unique passion for guns. The pictures, the write ups....appreciated.

-s

Moe Howard
March 4, 2008, 07:04 PM
That is a truly sweet gun. My p229 shot to the top of my list after shooting it just one time. Mine is not as cool as yours but the platform is just awesome.

Sig Al
March 4, 2008, 07:20 PM
Nice write up. I own a 229R .40 and I love it. Very solid and feels great in hand.

Axion
March 4, 2008, 07:39 PM
PBP Check out Topgunsupply.com the the Sig factory nickel trigger and hammer are $40 and $60 respectively.

EastSideRich
March 4, 2008, 08:02 PM
pbp,
Is that the first time you shot it? (You've had it a while, haven't you?)
When I got mine, that was all I could think about until I finally got to the range. - Seriously, first thought when I woke up and last thing through my mind before falling asleep.

I love mine too, in fact not my next pistol but the one after that will most likely be a 220 compact.

The only complaint I have is the really long, really heavy DA pull and the uptake before and after the reset point in SA. I am considering sending it in for a trigger job.

By the way, nice shootin' and beautiful gun.

One more thing, all the controls and hammer on mine are stainless (229 equinox); I'm not sure why they but black on the elite? I think their designers like contrast (black on stainless and vice versa).

-dbd

Playboypenguin
March 5, 2008, 01:53 PM
pbp,
Is that the first time you shot it? (You've had it a while, haven't you?)
My range reports, and the targets that come with them, are always from the very first time I take a gun to the range. That way I can give a true review without first learning to compensate for any variances of the gun.

I have taken it shooting a couple times between when the range test was done and the time it was posted but that report is from the first trip. :)

dwatts47
March 5, 2008, 02:32 PM
Is that the first time you shot it?

Here, Playboy has proved the theory that with proper trigger technique, the first time shooting a new gun can be as productive as if you've been shooting it for many rounds.

Master Cylinder
March 5, 2008, 04:02 PM
PBP:
I love your Elite! I only wish I could get one here in MA!!! But it's looking grim. I'll keep you updated on my purchase decision (and everyone else that helped out!)

Here's what I'm down to now, provided they're MA legal:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283776

Any help would be appreciated, Grats on the shiny new, scary accurate toy!

EastSideRich
March 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
oops-
deleted (moved to thread linked above)

Colt Delta Elite
March 6, 2008, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the nice review.
I too am interested in acquiring a SIG in 357sig. It's one manufacturer & caliber that I don't have in my collection.
BTW, very fine shootin !!

N.H. Yankee
March 8, 2008, 01:16 PM
Great review, I think you got him. I bought a 229 40 when they first came out and its been a great gun. Some complain Sigs are pricey, but so are BMW's, in some cases you do get what you pay for.

Uncle Malice
December 24, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hey PBP, do you still have the P229 Stainless Elite? I'm considering ordering one as a perfect match to my P220 Stainless Elite.

Just wondering if you still have it and enjoy it.

I know I know... zombie thread. :-P I was actually Google searching for reviews and this came up. ha! Great review by the way!

Oldjarhead
December 24, 2009, 09:35 PM
I recently got a Sig Sauer all blue P229 SAS Gen 2 .40 caliber myself. This was my first Sig also. The short reset trigger in single action fire made it easy to control the trigger pull with such a short trigger travel forward when resetting. Did you notice the short reset when firing your Sig Playboypenquin?

Playboypenguin
December 24, 2009, 09:37 PM
I still have it. Good luck finding one. I have had a P220 Elite Carry Stainless on order for several months. Sig is not producing stainless frames at the moment.

geetarman
December 24, 2009, 11:11 PM
I consider myself blessed.

I have 5 SIGS. . . one 9mm Elite stainless, a black 220 in .45 and a stainless Elite in .45 and a black 226 in .40 and a stainless Elite in .40.

I have nite sights on all and CT sights on the 9mm and the Elite 220.

The guns are a joy to shoot but they set me back a bundle.

I can shoot my Glock 21 better than the SIG but that will change with more practice.

All in all, no regrets buying the guns. Only regret is no short reset trigger in the black finish guns. The black guns are a little lighter because of the alloy frame. The stainless guns are heavy.

Would I buy them again? Yep. . .in a New York minute.

Uncle Malice
December 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
I still have it. Good luck finding one. I have had a P220 Elite Carry Stainless on order for several months. Sig is not producing stainless frames at the moment.

Really? Interesting. I got my P220 Stainless Elite in... I dunno... September? And I ordered it on Monday, had it in my shop on Friday. I did have a P229 Equinox on order for about 3 months though.. :( But that's what prompted me to change to the Stainless Elite, so I don't regret it.

I'm not ready to make the purchase anyways... I may have to sell something in order to cover some of the cost... I really want the P229 in Stainless Elite though... looks like it would be a little easier to carry than the full size P220... which I'm sort of wishing I would have gotten the "carry" size now.

After having had several Sig pistols, I must say that I find the Stainless Elite models to be the most appealing. I actually switched my wood grips out for some Hogue rubber ones. I just didn't want to bang up the nice wood ones and I've been trying to carry the P220 a bit lately.

I got a quote from my dealer today that he could get me the 229 for about $1,250... I know I can find them on GunBroker for under $1,100... but my guy does layaway, so I could give him a few hundred bucks to order me one and then work on saving up to pay it off when it comes in.

Glad to know you still have it PBP!!

buckit
December 25, 2009, 09:16 AM
Really nice Playboy. Im not much on rails but that Sig looks good and almost meant to have a rail. Again just a tough and nice looking handgun.

ttheel
December 25, 2009, 10:50 AM
I bought a new P228 over 10 years ago. SIG had stopped production of the P228 model for the general public and my local gunshop still had 3 left. I have never had one regret about the purchase. It is as smooth as silk and a ton of fun to shoot. One of my best gun purchases.

kehoemh
February 15, 2010, 07:21 PM
well I'm glad I am not a big fan of the stainless or wood look. i just bought my first gun period yes 25 ears of age and purchased m first gun pathetic but oh well. at first i was looking at getting the P250 Compact in .40 caliber but some coast guard guy reserved it before i knew i could do that at my shop. so instead saw the P229 Elite black and Equinox... well the Equinox was just too shiney for me so i went with the Elite. then i found this review thank you for reassuring me that i not only bought a beautiful handgun but a very well manufactured gun at that. if you have any other advise anyone for me please feel free to email me like i said new to this

Uncle Malice
February 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
kehoemh,

Excellent choice! My suggestion would be start up a new thread with a range report, some good pics, and you personal reviews of the gun after putting some rounds through it!

abber
February 15, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hey PBP, nice write up. I too was very pleasantly surprised by my Sig. I owned a .380 Sig P230 many years ago. Hated the caliber, so I traded it for a .357. Anyway, I'm a "kinda first timer" with my new P226R-40-EQ.

It usually takes me at least 20 or 30 shots with a new gun to start grouping well. The Sig put the first shot on the X, and the rest as they say, is history. I cut one-hole groups, with each shot sending chunks of the paper flying downrange. It is FUN to shoot. I was actually complimented by the rangemaster last time out. That has never happened before. Yes, Sigs are cool.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56832&d=1265571065

kehoemh
February 16, 2010, 01:26 AM
Uncle Malice,

I will be sure to do that I have shot a few guns before while in the service. So I have a slight feel for it. I pick my gun up tomorrow and will let you know how it feels. I will take in consideration to your suggestion. Hope its better than the navy issue 9mm I think its a beretta but no clue. Just don't critisize my shooting that is one of the main reasons for this purchase. Thank you for your input and keep an eye out for my range report thread

Bauer
February 16, 2010, 01:54 AM
Great write up PBP... it's funny you like the rail because I personally prefer it without the rail. I have to admit that it looks better on your elite than it would on my stock black 229.

I personally think you'd be well off to go ahead and get that .357sig barrel for your 229. It's a small investment for a straight barrel swap. But you have fired plenty of each round so you do know what you are talking about. And plenty meaning more than me. I just thought I'd throw in an extra opinion.

Lattitudes
February 16, 2010, 07:10 AM
my 229 just feels like a nice old pair of jeans. nice group.

kehoemh
February 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
just picked up my first gun, the Sig P229 Elite Dark and i love it. the way it feels in my hand, the trigger pull, and not to mention the SA and DA trigger pull. i in love with it. now i cant wait to take it shooting. i managed to get 50 free rounds for first time buyer. so i just need to get out there and go will have a new thread with my range report straight from a beginner

boston
February 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. You'll like it. Just don't limp wrist it and keep the rails clean. Can sometimes be finicky on the brand of ammo. Check the return spring regularly for signs of wear. All this learned as they were our duty weapons. Liked it enough to buy one for private carry.

Ar15M4
February 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
That is a nice gun and nice shootin, pinguin.

:D:D:D

JBMac1040
March 15, 2010, 01:07 AM
I saw a p229 Elite black model for $895 NIB last weekend. That seems like a good price. Seriously considering it.