PDA

View Full Version : First Handgun Advice

Vektor67
March 1, 2008, 01:10 AM
I'm about to buy my first handgun. I'd like to buy something very nice but atm money is an issue so I'm considering a 2nd Gen factory refurb Glock 22 for 339.00. I'm kind of uncertain about the Caliber I should get but mainly I wnt something reliable and accurate and I understand that the .40 cal amunition is beginning to come down in price. 9mm is so tempting for ammunition costs,
I rented some theo other day and liked them very much I tried a CZ75B, Berretta 92FS, S&W M&P9 and a Springfield XD9. I liked them all very much. I don't have a lot of experience with handguns but they all seemed like nice weapons I have to say I really liked the feel of the M&P but...I sure can't find one of those for 339.00. Of course I'll have to pay an FFL fee ect. My brother in law is trained on and likes his Glock 22 so I can get expert tips/training. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Ultimately I'd like a collection. I'm very drawn to the 1911 the H$K's the Sigs...hell I like them all lol but i have to start somewhere. I'm especially curious about the whole 9MM vs .40 vs .45 question it seems as if each have their fans. Thank you, Mike

Pshooter
March 1, 2008, 02:02 AM
my first gun was a 9mm sig pro and it was and is an awesome gun. The gun has never malfunctioned and is built with sig quality. The rails are thick andvery well made; i think that the pro series is much better than some people make them out to be (people tended to hate on them when they first came out;;especially those with hk's). Their trigger is, IMHO, crisper than the USP's trigger. Youi should be able to find a used one for 400. I am actually selling mine privately for 350$.
Why would i sell such a great weapon ? I also have a Kimber Custom II and that gun is more fun to tinker with and, with a 5 inch barrel, 1911's are accurate and a pleasure to shoot even though they launch .45acp. I also bought a P239 in .40 for carry, so the pro tends to sit around a lot. I actually traded it in for money off my 239 purchase, but bought it back a month later when i was feeling rich and thought i just had to have my hicap, NATO standard round slingin, battle ready no bs gun. Fact is, I dont need it and I could use the extra money$. I can shoot .40 and .45 without blinking and can keep it on point with double taps. Stopping power is important if you are protecting yourself (9mm is very effective, dont get me wrong, but while it may kill just as well, the immediate shock of the round is less likely to stop an attacker). I am also trying to keep it down to two guns that i can keep in one case. It isnt really the right size for carry (concealed carry) anyways (the p239 is just about the best carry piece i can think of). If i was in combat and carrying 9mm, .40, or 357sig, the SP2022 would be on the top of the list, but im not.

Last comments for you:: Save your money til you can get what you want. I wouldnt cheap out on guns especially if ur not going to be satisfied. Give 45's
a chance. If you have a good one, the recoil isnt as bad as u may think. And, lastly, trigger type is a determining factor, right along with caliber. I personally dislike glock type triggers (double action only and striker fired). I like to have single action, or DA/sa and i like to see a hammer.

Maybe you should check out ruger. they have all the types of triggers you could want in a first gun and they just came out with some glock types as well. Reliable and american made. Good first gun

tom234
March 1, 2008, 02:31 AM
If you just want a first hangun to shoot get a rimfire .22 semi-auto. The Ruger MKII or III Target model is great. Centerfire handgun ammo ISN'T going to come down in price. .22 ammo is cheap in comparison and if you just want to cut holes in paper that is the way to go FIRST. Get a centerfire later.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=840b8b1ac06d536ebefe4e874f01cdcc

chris in va
March 1, 2008, 02:52 AM
IMO Glock is a bad choice as a first firearm. You don't know gun safety yet and trigger discipline will be an issue for a while. The Glock only has one 'safety', on the trigger itself.

and I understand that the .40 cal amunition is beginning to come down in price

Nope, everything is going up in price.

Now you *could* start off with a 22, that's what I did. Taught me trigger control, sight alignment, all the basics and was easy on the wallet. But after a couple months I was looking for a 9mm, and the 22 pretty much stayed in the safe after that.

Actually before you even get a firearm, take a good safety class first. There's a LOT of stuff you don't know yet and can't be learned just by hitting the range with your new gun.

NGIB
March 1, 2008, 06:03 AM
+1 on starting with a .22 as I shoot my rimfire guns more than all others put together - especially with ammo prices. You'll be amazed at how much ammo you can burn thru during a range trip and shooting 500 rounds of 9mm will cost you a minimum of $80. Shooting 500 rounds of .22 is about $12 with current prices. Practice is paramount with handguns and the .22 makes this cost effective.

If you must start with a larger caliber, a 9mm is a good all around caliber, and you can pick up a used Sig P6 (225 clone) for $300 or so from many sources...

Vektor67
March 1, 2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I may have given the wrong impression about my safety training. I have taken more than one hunters safety course and been around guns much of my life. This has been mostly rifles and shotguns however. I am very much looking forward to taking a handgun safety class as well as some other classes. I'm still not certain which way I'll go but I appreciate all the input.
I really love .22 cal but I think I'll get something larger first, something for self defense and home protection as well as range work. Thanks again, Mike

tom234
March 1, 2008, 11:43 AM
I really love .22 cal but I think I'll get something larger first, something for self defense and home protection as well as range work. Thanks again, Mike

When one asks a question it helps to know why they asked it and/or what their "need" is. Otherwise responses won't be properly directed.

obxned
March 1, 2008, 11:53 AM
Until you have shot a lot, a handgun is not the best tool for home defense. Get a .22, shoot 1000's of rounds through it, and use a shotgun for home defense.

Later buy a centerfire pistol. You will be better equiped to use it and also will be choosing your gun based on what will work for you, not on the recomendations of bozos like us.

Vektor67
March 1, 2008, 01:33 PM
THanks again for the help. I have my old 16 Gauge Ithaca 37R at my home. I'll look into the rimfires recommended. I really like the M&P and keep coming back to it in my thoughts so I think the M&P 9mm is what I'll be getting. I'm kind of stuck on a center fire I guess. I am very grateful for all the sound advice. Have a great day. ~ Mike

Colt Delta Elite
March 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
What a great time. I still remember the excitement of deciding to buy my first -- the research, the looking, comparing, testing, price shopping, and in my case, the bidding (an online buy). I very much know the desire to jump right in, to actually get 1 for my very own. But, I believe in purchasing something of this nature for the first time (the cost, number of options, safety concerns, product quality, responsibility factor, training commitment, etc.) that it should not be rushed into without some due diligence. It's a good move that you queried a forum to get some insights from people that should be able to provide some direction -- all part of the process of making an informed decision.

I think some good advice has been put forth, i.e. seek training, start w/ a .22, a handgun may not be the best home defense weapon (shotgun instead). But it seems that you in fact have already decided on acquiring a centerfire pistol and that's certainly your perogative. But, in reviewing your original post, I see some conflicting statements:

You want something "very nice", but have a limited budget. The guns you rented (which btw, was smart to do) seem to be ones that will not fit your price criteria. Also, the brands/models you mentioned are each very different in numerous ways, but in the end you "liked them all very much", "they all seemed nice". Yet they function differently, have different controls, grip feel, weights, sights, firing behavior, and the list goes on. Later you spoke of being "drawn" to 1911's, HK's & SIG's. Again, quite different firearms and not really in your price range.

You state you are "uncertain about caliber" and "curious about the whole 9mm vs .40 vs .45 question". Some might say choosing the caliber would need to be nailed prior to ultimately selecting the weapon, especially since many models you may be interested in are available in all three.

Since $$ are a major factor, one really needs to think about the additional costs involved. In addition to the price of the gun, there are the FFL fees as you said, perhaps shipping charges, range costs, cleaning supplies, needed/desired accessories). Plus you probably will want to shoot the thing. Ammunition price is only headed in one direction -- as NGIB posted 10 boxes of cheap 9mm will run at least $80.

If you are indeed "about to buy", my recommendation would be to slow down and take a couple of steps back. Do much more research, read all you can, do some more hands on testing before you "pull the trigger" so to speak. If all you have is about $300-350 to spend, it is unlikely you will have the resources to correct a poor decision. You want your 1st experience to be a positive one!

Wish you the best

Te Anau
March 1, 2008, 01:56 PM
First Handgun Advice
DON'T GET A GLOCK!
Get a gun that has a positive manual safety that must be released by your brain,and get it in 9X19.

SW40F
March 1, 2008, 06:32 PM
I'm about to buy my first handgun. I'm considering ...$339.00.

I have to say I really liked the feel of the M&P I will offer the 3rd generation S&W Sigma (SW9VE and SW40VE) for your consideration. It is in your price range, and I think a Sigma feels pretty good in my hand. See if you can rent and fire one.

I'm kind of uncertain about the Caliber I should get 9mm is so tempting for ammunition costsEither 9mm or .40S&W will work fine for your purposes. Maybe you you can rent both the SW9VE and SW40Ve so you can experience the rounds fired from essentially the same gun.

I am very much looking forward to taking a handgun safety class as well as some other classes.Yes, that will be a Good Thing. I have enjoyed every class I have taken.

mo_hunter
March 1, 2008, 06:54 PM
Don't listen to the don't get a glock people! Get what feels best 2 you. And a glock has 4 safeties :D

1. Trigger safety
2. Drop safety
3. Firingpin safety

And what's the 4th..........................your finger! Keep it off the trigger until your ready to shoot.

Father Time
March 1, 2008, 07:56 PM
I would recomind the CZ75 or the Beretta 92. I also would stay away from the glocks. In a 1st gun you DO want a manual saftey.

allenomics
March 1, 2008, 08:18 PM
My first pistol was a .22. You can practice a lot and it's cheap. Then get a 9mm. It's the least expensive, but effective round.

A .40 has a lot of snap and .45 ACP is great, but it's expensive to fire.

Model recommendations; Ruger or Browning (.22) and Glock17, G19 or a S&W M&P in 9mm.

Price. You can buy a new Ruger for as little as $199 if you hunt around and are patient. The Glock, about $489.

Good luck.

Vektor67
March 2, 2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I could spend up to 450.00 but naturally would prefer to spend as little as possible, But I still think I'm smittin with the M&P 9. I really enjoyed firing it, It felt great in my hand. Although I must say I am used to a gun having a positive safety in other words a button or lever you press before firing. I have the utmost respect for guns however and always err on the side of caution when handing one, I simply assume a gun is loaded, until I look and even then it's handled as if it were. The CZ75 was a nice feel as well as was the berretta the good thing is I don't think I could go wrong with any of them.

LUPUS
March 2, 2008, 04:17 AM
If you have a chance to get a reliable pistol such as a Glock at a bargain price, it is logical to go with it. To start with an unreliable pistol will always discourage you. Also, to invest high amounts of money for a beginners pistol is not logical, since you may want to change it in the following days.

So it is a good way to buy a reliable pistol at a bargain price that will hold its resale value.

Regards.

TheNatureBoy
March 2, 2008, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't recommend a first timer getting a Glock for his first hand gun because of the lack of external safety features. Thats just me: ) On the other hand it is one of the best performers on the market and since your brother in-law is experienced with it he could teach you a few things. Try to buy the best hand gun that you can afford because you get what you pay for. Be patient, and research, research, research! As far as the various calibers are concerned I started with the 9mm 115 gr and worked my way up to .45 230 gr. They are all good rounds. The hand gun that you purchase (be it a 9mm, 40, or .45) will in the end determine the round you choose. Have fun : )

Kreyzhorse
March 2, 2008, 07:33 AM
The Glock 22 is a fine gun. Before buying any gun however, I would go through a safety / training class if you are unfamilar with firearms.

If you haven't shot much, some ranges rent guns and that would be a good place for you to see what you like and dislike before you buy.

I've got a Glock 22 and love it. Some people hate how Glocks fit in their hands.

I understand that the .40 cal amunition is beginning to come down in price.

At this point in time, ammo, like every thing else in this ecomony is going UP. Take a good luck at ammo prices and make sure you are comfortable with them. I just bought a 1911 45acp and about stroked out over prices.

Vektor67
March 3, 2008, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure where I read that .40 due to it's dominance of Police Departments was coming down but that was certainly in error. After looking at actual prices, I think I'll be getting a 9mm. The other option however seems to be a gun that would have the best of both worlds with conversion kits available. This recently came to my attention when looking at the EAA Witness. It would be a fine thing to have a large caliber with a 22LR kit for range work. The price of .22 is sooo cheap. I think the Glock 22 will also accept a 9mm barrel and magazine the other one I'm aware of would be a Kimber kit. I keep hearing good things about the Taurus PT 1911 which would probably accept a Kimber 22LR Kit...so very temtping. I wonder if what I'm hearing about EAA is actually true with the standard steel, I think thats the one which accepts a conversion kit, or if it's mainly true only with the Elite match which runs 650.00 or so. The standard is priced very low but I guess it's mainly a CZ Clone. If the PT 1911 was truly a decent 1911 type my local store has one in stock I could get a good deal on..

I never imagined this would be such a tough decision, there are so many nice guns out there, I've almost(pardon the pun) pulled the trigger numerous times and would have been happy with any of them I'm sure.

chilie23
March 3, 2008, 11:43 AM
myfirst handgun was a PX-4....i'd suggest u do the same!!! haha but whateve u decide, get quality and get something you wont grow bored of

ronto
March 3, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ever consider a revolver?

G22
March 3, 2008, 04:41 PM
Get a glock can't go wrong. Remember, there is a safety on a glock theres actually 3. The primary safety on any gun is the person handling the gun. jmho:)

chopz
March 3, 2008, 05:01 PM
buy the cz, then save up for the kadet adaptor. then you'll have 2 very reliable guns - a 9mm and a .22. if you research i think you'll find a highpower is the closest thing to a 1911 in 9mm, and a cz is the closest thing to a highpower, at half the price.

G22
March 3, 2008, 05:20 PM
Get a glock . Can't go wrong. I've had my g22 for 4 years now probably 4,000 rds or more through it. I still love it and would trust my life with it. In the end you will be happy with your decision, and for 339.00 thats a good deal! Not to mention glocks customer support is awesome:) Hey guys, check out the polls glocks in front of sig:D Did I mention that my glock has never jammed?

imthegrumpyone
March 3, 2008, 05:21 PM
Glock this Glock that, get only what you feel comfortable with. The forums are full of people that sleep,eat and breath nothing but Glocks, they're not the only gun in town. Buy one only if you feel as one with it, other wise take your time and look around there are many you'll be happy with.;)

DWARREN123
March 3, 2008, 09:54 PM
I don't love the GLOCK's but I do have 2 (23/27) because they work, work right and do what I want.
Utility guns.

Murdock
March 4, 2008, 03:34 PM
If I was gonna do it all over again, I'd do it the same way:

Colt series 70 1911 .45 with an original Colt conversion unit in .22LR, and several spare magazines in either caliber. There's no reason why the 1911 in .38 Super or 9mm wouldn't work just as well for somebody else as the .45 ACP has done for me, though.