PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Used Ruger p89 purchase

B.N.Real
February 28, 2008, 09:05 PM
I have a chance to buy a used p89 Ruger 9mm with three magazines for $250 from an excellent gun shop that has been in business for decades.

They bought a 'lot' of these (apparently as many as thirty each)and the shorter version of this pistol from a security company that had to change to a different type of pistol.

These guns are in fair condition cosmetically and good condition firing wise.

I won't be using this gun for a ccw.

I actually like the larger p89 rather than the shorter model-for some strange reason the grip feels smaller and the pistol balances better.

I already know this is a good pistol but there has been some concerns on the internet as it gets older and has several thousand rounds fired through it.

I was assured that the guns were probably not fired that much and the guns appear to be in fairly good condition.

So,to my questions.

1.Do I need to be worried about the p89 being 'shot out'? Essentially worn out?

2.I have seen many auto pistols on the internet that have been bought used and then were reblued or 'recoated' by a vendor that has an exccellent new technology coating for these auto pistols.

Is there any type of coating you've had put on an old auto pistol you had and it just blew you away with what a difference it made in the look and the functioning of the pistol?

Please include what it cost and a internet address where I can investigate it.

3.What mods have you done to your p89?

I know that there will be some shooters here that will absolutely love your p89's and have just 'hit the on button' to the mods shelf on your pistols.

I'd like to see or read what you did.

4.Any reason that porting might help this pistol?

I only ask because I'm seeing more semi-auto's with it now.

Even though I lust after a CZ 9mm pistol,thanks to the several 'show us your pistols/revolver threads',I know that this Ruger will not ever be the last gun I own and that CZ can still get into my gun case anytime in the future.

I honestly don't see how I can pass up this deal.

I don't have a full size 9mm pistol and this Ruger was built like a tank.

Your comments and photos of your pride and joy p89's (or other Ruger semi-auto's)would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

chris in va
February 28, 2008, 09:17 PM
I don't own a P89 or any P series for that matter, but when I *did* have to deal with Ruger customer service they were extremely helpful and actually sent me new parts for free. Didn't have to send the gun in.

It won't be 'shot out'. That would take...jeez, about 50,000 rounds? Not something to worry about.

Here's how I see it. You WANT a CZ. I understand this, having owned one for 4 years. You're already over halfway there at $250. New ones run about $450, used (which I highly recommend) are about $100 less.

$250 for a Ruger is a good deal. If it was something you were actually looking for, I'd say go for it. However you have other interests and you may want to consider holding off for another paycheck to get what you really want.

2afreedom
February 28, 2008, 09:41 PM
My first handgun was a P89 and aside from the grip being large for my small hands it was a very reliable weapon. Mine even shot 100% with cheap after market magazines. Now to address your questions:
1. It is very unlikely for police/security guns to be “worn out”. Most departments qualify one or two times a year and therefore see very little actual shooting. You do have a lot of external cosmetic holster wear which has no effect on shooting. Even if you need a few parts at some point you would have no problem finding them on the internet or at a gunsmith’s shop.
2. I have never refinished a pistol so I have no idea.
3. I didn’t do any mods to my P89. The only thing I can think of would be a good set of Hogue grips for a better feel.
4. There is no need to port a pistol as heavy as the P89 and chambered in 9mm. You will find the recoil light with even self defense loads.

To sum up if you like the way the gun fits your hand you will find this to be a great range/HD pistol.

Moe Howard
February 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
A p89 was the fist gun I bought myself back in 1990 and kept it until sometime in 2003. I have almost always kept a log of rounds through my guns and I put nearly 80,000 rounds through the p89 and it was still in good condition when I sold it. All I ever did was change out the recoil spring and I had a gunsmith detail strip and clean it once at around 50,000 rounds. So I would not worry about it being shot to death. If it belonged to a security company it was probably carried a LOT more than it was shot. $250 would be a good price for a good used Ruger but if it is not what you want keep the cash.

Stevie-Ray
February 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
I never really wanted a P89, though the one I shot was amazingly accurate. Even I would consider it for that price, as it would be perfect for my box gun.

B.N.Real
February 28, 2008, 10:20 PM
No,I really look at this purchase as a "how can I lose" propostion.

I have fired a Ruger p89 before and found it a fine weapon.

There are'nt alot of $250 sure bets in firearms out there.

And I did'nt want a beauty queen,something if it got scratched I'd have a fit.

This Ruger's getting closer to my gun case by the second.

aarrggh
February 29, 2008, 09:31 AM
i've owned my ruger p89dc for 15yrs. it's been a great gun.. pretty accurate, easy to take down and field strip. i bought a pair of hogue rubber grips, and they fit great. so far no problems with ammo other that a ftf with some reloads bought from the range here. i prefer the triggers on my glock and kahr nowadays, and have semi-retired the old general to just plinking fun.. still shoots great though, no excessive wear. mine is the stainless version

lee n. field
February 29, 2008, 09:39 AM
1.Do I need to be worried about the p89 being 'shot out'? Essentially worn out?

No. I remember, decades back, seeing a "20K round torture test" done on several then current autoloaders by one of the gunrags. The P89 came through just fine.

Is there any type of coating you've had put on an old auto pistol you had and it just blew you away with what a difference it made in the look and the functioning of the pistol?

4.Any reason that porting might help this pistol?

For a P89? Don't bother on both, unless you've got a blued model that hasn't been cared for well. Silk purse, pigs ear. Use it for what it is, which is a tough, utilitarian autoloader.

3.What mods have you done to your p89?

Don't have a P89, do have the closely similar P90. There aren't many aftermarket gizmos for them, and there don't need to be. The only things I have changed are 1)Wolff gunspring, one jump stronger than factory and 2) Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves.

MaineColt
February 29, 2008, 10:53 AM
Good friend had one. For about a month.

The most IN-accurate handgun I ever fired. I can shoot 2" groups with 3 other pistols I own, but that Ruger was terrible. I have heard others who loved theirs and say they were very accurate. Makes me think that you should test one before buying if at all possible.

Good luck, Kev