PDA

View Full Version : Loctite Question

chupps
February 27, 2008, 12:21 PM
I've had problems with the screws backing out on the sight base of my Browning Buckmark Camper. Once I cracked the base, possibly by over tightening. Would using loctite on the threads solve this problem? I'd hate to use an adhesive that is permanent. Also, I wouldn't want to apply heat to the plate in order to get it loose as the plate is plastic. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Pahoo
February 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, I routinely use locktite on some bases and rings and on occasion, use rubber cement. Not entirely familiar with your application but try rubber cement and progress from there until you get results. Be safe !!

hoytinak
February 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, I use Blue Loctite on my scope mounts and anything the tends to vibrate loose. Put a small drop on each screw then tighten, but on the Buck Mark don't crank down on it, those screws being too tight have been know to crack a few bases that I've seen.

brickeyee
February 27, 2008, 01:17 PM
Degrease the hole and screw threads completely before using the blue loctite.

This grade of loctite can be removed with normal hand tools.

The variouse staking grades require heat to breakthe bond.

UniversalFrost
February 27, 2008, 06:00 PM
yes loctite ( I use red) can be applied and is recommended for screws and mounts on high power rifles. I even use it on my 10/22's that I often shoot rapid fire.

45Dave
February 28, 2008, 08:15 PM
Just a heads up..Red Loctite is strong stuff and if you need to remove it you have to heat it up to at least 350F to break it down. We use it in places we do not intend to take apart without some serious effort or can be damaged.

zxcvbob
February 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
Don't even think about green LocTite.

Wildalaska
February 28, 2008, 08:30 PM
Just a heads up..Red Loctite is strong stuff and if you need to remove it you have to heat it up to at least 350F to break it down. We use it in places we do not intend to take apart without some serious effort or can be damaged.

Thats not exactly true, properly applied red loctite is what we use for bases and we can get them out with proper technique, ie tap tap on the screwdriver, if necessary

No heat.

as long as it is properly applied. :)

WildgluemeAlaska ™

45Dave
February 29, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hey Wild, if tap tap on red loctite screws works will give ya a hug. Thanks for the tip, always willing to try something new. You probably not believe some of the places I have to crawl into or around to try and get out a screw that has been put in with red loctite by someone.

Jeff F
March 3, 2008, 12:14 AM
If you have a small screw that has been locktited and is giving a problem with removal, a high watt soldering iron with a small pointed tip applied to the screw head for a minuet or two will soften it up so the screw can be removed with out buggering it up.

Willie D
March 3, 2008, 08:30 AM
I've had the blue loctite loosen up on me while I was cleaning up corosive ammo w/hot water.

Alleykat
March 7, 2008, 09:37 PM
I've installed a bunch of Glock front sights, using red (271) Loctite. Never had any problems removing the screws, with no heat neated.

Loctite doesn't work on plastic.