PDA

View Full Version : Beretta Al391 vs Franchi I-12 cycle light loads?

modenar22
February 22, 2008, 05:46 PM
I already have a Remington wingmaster pump action from the mid 70's. I can say anything but good words about this gun. Has had more than 20k rounds through it with no problems, and not a single part broken. Feels alot better than most pump guns made today. I.e FN TPS. racking the slide on that feels like its a plastic toy, they all feel like crap.

Now im ready to venture into the semi auto world. I have narrowed my choices to Beretta AL-391 and Franchi I-12. Both in 12gauge.

My main concern is which one would cycle light loads better. Ive read many people talking about how gas operated will require more cleaning. This isnt a problem for me. I clean my guns after every range session. Im mainly looking for which one would cycle light loads that i shoot better.

Thank You all in advance

45Dave
February 22, 2008, 06:45 PM
Have not shot the Franchi but I have shot a number of Beretta's chambered for 3 inch shells. They cycled light loads like a dream along with heavy duty duck/geese loads. They are easy to clean and work well in cold or hot conditions. I hope you find both on a range and shoot them and maybe check at a store how hard each is to take apart. Oh, there are shims you can change the stocks offset and drop so it more or less can fit to you with out the cost of custom fit.

castnblast
February 22, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have an I 12 I just purchased. It will cycle them fine, but you need (as with most intertia guns so I'm told) to shoot the first 5 boxes or so of 1 1/8 oz loads because the tollerances are very, very tight. I had some issues with the bolt release locking up on me w/ the first 2 boxes, after that, it ran like a champ. It takes 1 oz skeet loads just fine. They are also very, very easy to completely disasemble/reasemble. They (Inertia guns) don't get dirty like a gas, and I shot 7 boxes through it the first time, and I was amazed at how clean it was internally. I don't have a Barreta, but I think it just boils down to what you want. I'd pick em up and see which one feels and fits better to you. I have an I-12 Limited, and the gel pad is incredible.

LouPran
February 23, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'll vote Beretta , Only because that's what I shoot. The AL391 is tried and true tested design of many years that has never failed me personally. The cleaning is easy though yes it takes a bit more time then an inertia design. I rather enjoy the process. The Beretta will shoot softer and handles the gas blow off exceptionally well in Optima design.

castnblast
February 23, 2008, 10:34 PM
If you hunt, you will appreciate the inertia system tremendously. They don't get gunked up, especially when hunting in wet or dry dusty conditions. I found on many occasions, my gas guns really start acting up after 4 boxes, whereas the inertia gun took 7 boxes straight w/ no jams whatsoever. I can see why it's no wonder why they use these type of guns in Argentina when autos are used. (so I'm told...never been there, but hope to go one day...)That's my .02 worth.

Wibb
February 25, 2008, 10:04 AM
I can't speak on the Franchi, but I have both a 390 and a 391. The only difference in them is that the 391 is prettier and it takes 3 1/2" shells. I actually prefer my 390. It cycles every load I've ever shot through it and I usuallly shoot 7/8 ounce skeet loads that are well under 1200 fps. Just be sure you clean your gun once in awhile to avoid major buildup.

RoscoeC
February 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
I recently bought a Stoeger M2000, which I am told has the same internals as the I12. Certainly not as pretty, but it has run ~350 rounds of 1oz. promotional stuff (Winchester, and Federal) and 1 1/8 oz. Winchester Super Target with no issues whatever. I would like to try some of the 7/8 oz stuff, but can't seem to find any anywhere. I'm pretty confident it will cycle it ok.