PDA

View Full Version : BLR Question - Old v. New

vwkismet
February 21, 2008, 10:53 PM
Looking for some advice on a BLR .308. I understand that Browning made some changes in the receiver (and frame?) when they brought out the '81 lightweight model. My question is just how much lighter was the newer model? I essentially have an option to purchase either a 1985 model or a 1978 model for roughly the same price. I am trying to decide whether it is enough of a difference to affect my buying decision.

Thanks, Michael in NH

absolute0
February 23, 2008, 10:21 AM
Pick 'em both up, handle them and see which one feels better to YOU ;)

Jack O'Conner
February 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
The early years of production were based in Belgium at the Fabrique Nationale site. Receiver was steel.

The lighter model features a high tensile strength aluminum receiver. Aluminum is very strong and much lighter than many other metals. Most costly than steel these days.

Like many large companies, parts are made at various sites including Japan. But I think final assembly is in Utah.

The BLR is an exceptionally well made modern lever action rifle. My sister in law has hunted elk, mule deer, and antelope successfully with 7mm-08. My wife hunts with a customized BLR in 6.5mm Swede that started out as a 270. These are not "brush guns". I'd describe the BLR as an accurate long range hunting rifle.

I hope this is helpful.
Jack

Don H
February 23, 2008, 04:13 PM
But I think final assembly is in Utah.
Browning is a marketing and distribution company. It does not assemble firearms in Utah. My .308 BLR was made in Japan.