PDA

View Full Version : S&W reassembly

Bill Siegle
February 20, 2008, 03:45 AM
I got my little Jframe back together but I was curious of what is the proper way to reinstall a S&W trigger. I had to recontour my J Frame's trigger as it was actually sharp on the old 80s era gun and would raise a blister in under 20 rounds. Got it out easy enough but is there a trick or special tool to compress the spring inside the littl block behind the trigger? Sure wouldn't mind knowing incase I get the urge to do my old 64 too :)

velocette
February 20, 2008, 08:40 AM
You go to Brownells or Midway and buy the special tool used to install the rebound slide spring.

Roger

Clemson
February 20, 2008, 09:22 AM
I have the tool, but I generally use a #2 Phillips screwdriver to push the spring into the block. It works better for me.

Clemson

drail
February 23, 2008, 11:04 PM
And you gotta hold your mouth just right.

Cowart
February 24, 2008, 12:13 PM
is there a trick or special tool to compress the spring Here you go... http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=774&title=S&W%20REBOUND%20SLIDE%20SPRING%20TOOL

James K
February 24, 2008, 02:53 PM
I agree on the Philips screw driver. I bought one of those special tools and used it once. The screwdriver is actually easier and faster, IMHO.

Jim

Casimer
February 24, 2008, 03:52 PM
Did you have to fit the trigger at all?

My Model 38 is from the same era and has a serrated trigger.
I'd like to swap this out for a smooth faced J-Frame trigger that I have. But if there's significant fitting involved, I'll probably send it off.

Bill Siegle
February 24, 2008, 04:06 PM
I didn't replace the trigger. I merely removed it then reshaped it. Gave it a cold blue bath and oiled it up before putting it back in the gun. I make custome knives on the side so I have grinders and buffers available. A round file and sandpaper would work too though. Dremel would speed up the process a lot too. Just work slow and don't build up heat if you use power tools :)