PDA

View Full Version : scope or red dot on a pistol?

b.thomas
February 16, 2008, 11:54 PM
Is it possible to add a scope or a red dot to a 9 mm pistol and if it is how much cost wise would it be? I ask this mostly because the old eyes (I'm 63) don't work like the they use to. I have a S&W 617 revolver with a red dot and it sure makes shootin' a lot easier.:D

* furgots! The pistol is a smith and wesson 910s.
thanks.:)

rantingredneck
February 16, 2008, 11:58 PM
Don't know if they are made for the 910S but I've seen pistol mounts that replace grip panels on the side of the gun and then extend over the top of the slide allowing the mounting of optics on a semi. Not sure how well they work. never tried them myself.

Slopemeno
February 17, 2008, 03:01 AM
Once you get used to it, theres nothing faster. As far as a mount for your gun, I've never seen one. B-Square maybe?

seeker_two
February 17, 2008, 09:06 AM
I've also seen scope mounts that connect on the light rail of a pistol. If yours has one (or can have one mounted) you could try it.

Best bet would be to try one of the XO Big Dot sights or a ghost ring sight (can't remember who makes those). Both give a great sight picture without all the bulk and batteries of a scope/red dot. And you can use the same holsters you have now, too....

eastbank
February 17, 2008, 10:26 AM
i to have a S&W 617 that i put the weaver no tap mount on, i use a burris 2x silver scope and a bushnell red dot with 4 reticals. with steel weaver rings i interchange the scope/red dot and it keeps zero very well. squirells to 50 yds with the scope and the red dot on rabbits to 50 yds. with my eye,s it was optic,s or not hitting anything with a pistol. eastbank.