PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 Range Report

DaveInPA
February 11, 2008, 08:41 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2383/2255907216_11a7e7b776.jpg

So I got a new Glock 26 this week and took it out to the indoor range yesterday morning to put it through its paces, as it will soon be my new CCW. I thought I'd share a range report and my impressions of the weapon for anyone that may be interested.

Ergonomics/Feel:
I own a Glock 19, so I am familiar and comfortable with the Glock grip angle, so when I picked up the 26, it felt natural to me. A lot of people complain about the Glock grip angle, but it fits my hand great. I added a Pearce grip extension to two of my three mags, and I do like having the extra space for my strong hand pinky. I put a lot of rounds through this gun and my hands didn't tire at all. The gun feels great, to me.

Fit/Finish/Construction:
It's a Glock. It's simple. It's put together well. It'll take a lickin and keep on tickin, so to speak. We all know this. The gun feels extremely solid and tight. The tennifer matte finish is extremely wear-resistant, even under less than optimal conditions. Glocks may not be the prettiest guns in the world, but they're well made and they always go bang when you need them to.

Shooting Impressions:
This guns shoots great! I put 400 rounds of Winchester white box 115 gr. FMJ and 100 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shock JHP through the gun yesterday. Not one malfunction. The gun just works. Recoil is very tame, even from such a small weapon. I had no problem controlling muzzle flip and staying on target during controlled pair drills. The stock Glock trigger feels good to me. I know a lot of people modify their triggers, and that's fine if that's what they're comfortable with. The way it comes from the factory suits me just fine, however.

The Glock 26 proved to be far more accurate than I though a gun with such a short barrel would be. This is a picture of a 10 round group at 10 yards, controlled pairs:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2408/2255907368_0b93505bdd.jpg
I know there's one outside the black, but that was my fault, not the gun's! :o

Overall Impressions:
I really like this gun, even more than I thought I would. I own a Glock 19 and while I'm not in love with the 19, it is a great gun and has always been reliable, which is why I decided to grab a 26 to carry on a daily basis. The 26 certainly performed like a champion. It is much more comfortable to shoot than I was expecting it to be, and more accurate too!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/2255109805_1da35d8033.jpg
In closing, if you're looking for a subcompact semi-auto pistol, I would highly recommend you at least try the Glock 26. I know Glocks aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they're worth a look if you've never fired one before. Of course these are just my opinions.

I hope this helps anyone that may have been pondering a Glock 26 purchase. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks
Dave

Alleykat
February 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
I carry a G26. Love it. I am one of those guys who doesn't like the stock trigger, so I use an aftermarket connector. Also don't like the feel of bare plastic grip, so I cover all my Glocks' grips with Agrip. Also use Wolff steel guide rods. Always use night sights.

That matt finish is a phosphate finish, not the Tenifer. Tenifer is the heat treatment of the steel underneath the matt finish. :)

Officer's Match
February 11, 2008, 09:54 AM
Nice pics, Dave. I also like the babyGlocks and plan to pick one up soon. For some reason I find them the most visually appealing of the Glock lineup as well. ;)

darko
February 11, 2008, 10:19 AM
Congrats on the new pistol. I just picked up a 27 last week and shot it sunday. Great gun-100% reliable!

mo_hunter
February 11, 2008, 10:23 AM
Congrats. on your new weapon. I love my 26 great shooting gun.

Glenn E. Meyer
February 11, 2008, 11:32 AM
I had a 26, went to a 27, decided I would carry a 19, then just recently added a 26 again.

Great little guns.

Ohio_Shemanese
February 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
Nice 26. I found mine to be a little more accurate than my 17.

Glockeroo
February 11, 2008, 08:00 PM
You are right on the money with your post. My first Glock was the G26. It's what I carry in spring/summer. I think it is the ultimate CCW. I converted a few friends of mine to the 26. After they fired mine, they had to have one.

I just had some Mepro night sights installed on it as well.

Adventurer 2
February 11, 2008, 09:35 PM
I've had a Glock 26 since they first came out. My knock against it is the plastic sights. I've replaced my rear sight twice. I have one spare left. At least the sight costs only a few dollars. Other than that, I have zero complaints.

Deaf Smith
February 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
Have and carry the 27 as well as the 26 (don't get your mags mixed up guys, I haven't but I bet it could be spell trouble in a gunfight.)

Mine have night sights (factory) and well, all my nice 1911s and Smith revolvers and yes Sigs, sleep in the safe.

Only other carry gun is the Smith 642 (and we all know why, right?)

The 26 is an excellent carry gun. And with factory Glock +2 mags, you have 12 in the mag and if you are not superstitious, then one more in the chamber. Add a spare mag and you are carrying half a box of ammo.

Oh, +p+ Winchester 127s chrono out of my Glock 26 at 1240. Nice.