PDA

View Full Version : bushmster m4 VS. RRA Entry Tactical

ARAJ
February 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
cant decide which one i want to buy, which is the better rifle?

RockyMtnTactical
February 5, 2008, 02:17 PM
Opt for the Stag Arms Model 2:

http://store.stagarms.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=35&osCsid=f41a236e3dda9f24bc9de22833794614

(They are cheaper from a dealer, the price on that page is the MSRP)

Diesel1
February 5, 2008, 03:41 PM
Definately Bushmaster. I have about 5000 rounds through mine as do several friends. No problems or issues whatsoever.

DonR101395
February 5, 2008, 03:48 PM
Neither, both come with commercial receiver extensions, poor or no staking on the BCG and castle nut, 4140 barrels, out of spec chambers (marked 5.56 but cut .223). The RRA is slightly better, but there are better alternatives in the same price range. LMT bought as a separate upper and lower for $1000-$1100, ADS for $850-$900.

Diesel1
February 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
You're going to get a lot of answers, some that don't answer the question.
It's really up to you do the footwork as your doing by getting opinions and make the best decison for you.
The truth is that you probably won't go wrong with any of the big name
AR makers.

SteelCore
February 6, 2008, 05:13 AM
Neither, both come with commercial receiver extensions, poor or no staking on the BCG and castle nut, 4140 barrels, out of spec chambers (marked 5.56 but cut .223).Bushmaster claims to use 4150 and a 5.56 chamber. How do you know they're lying? Maybe they are, but I'd be interested to know the source of this claim.

I agree that BM can be bad about staking carrier keys. I had to restake one of mine with a MOACKS (takes just a couple of minutes). I have no idea why so many manufacturers can't get that staking done properly -- it's so incredibly simple.

The RRA is slightly better, but there are better alternatives in the same price range. LMT bought as a separate upper and lower for $1000-$1100, ADS for $850-$900.This is possibly a stupid question, but who's ADS? That doesn't ring a bell.

LMT has a great reputation, although I have a bolt of theirs that came out of spec (in the cam pin hole area).

DonR101395
February 6, 2008, 12:00 PM
Bushmaster claims to use 4150 and a 5.56 chamber. How do you know they're lying? Maybe they are, but I'd be interested to know the source of this claim.

Sorry I was a little tired when I typed that, I mis-spoke of and should have used the term mil-spec even though I try to avoid mil-spec terms. There are three steels list as authorized for use in Mil-B-11595B; they don't use any of the three. LMT, Colt, BCM, SBI use the correct steels.

BM has gotten better over the years, but I still see an occasional rifle with an out of spec chamber. It's usually indicated with FTE issues. If an extractor upgrade doesn't fix it, I stick the reamer in the chamber and about 40% of the time it takes metal out and fixes the problem. They are still by far better than DPMS which doesn't even make an attempt at a correct chamber.

I agree that BM can be bad about staking carrier keys. I had to restake one of mine with a MOACKS (takes just a couple of minutes). I have no idea why so many manufacturers can't get that staking done properly -- it's so incredibly simple.

Ned Christianson has a winner with the MOACKS. It's all I will use. Sure beats a vise and center punch. That lack of detail is what turns me away from most of the lower end rifles. If they are cutting corners on something as simple to verify as staking; what are they cutting corners on that you can't easily verify as wrong?

I'll use BM, RRA stripped lowers, but for uppers the only thing I will use is LMT, Colt, Noveske, SDI or BCM (if he ever gets them back in stock). If I'm building an upper for myself it's usually Superior receiver or I find a good used LMT or Colt receiver, LMT or Noveske barrel, LMT or BCM BCG. I've got no problem with companies using parts other than "mil-spec" as long as they are superior parts. It's ok to exceed a standard.

Edit: another thing they advertise is and is HP/MPI bolts. They only batch test, is it a huge deal for most people? No, but again IMHO it's misleading. I won't do business with a company that is misleading.