PDA

View Full Version : Need advise

Bobsclassic
February 4, 2008, 10:44 PM
First off would like to say hi to all I'm new to the site and guns in general. So here we go, I would like to know what people think about these guns for target and carry for protection. The S&W M&P 9mm,Walther PPS 9mm and maybe the Taurus Millennium series 9mm. Should I get a single action or double? And any other suggetions on a gun that might fit the bill for my first gun. Thanks in advance Bob

OnTheFly
February 4, 2008, 11:17 PM
First of all...welcome to TFL. I wish I could say that I have first hand experience with the handguns listed, but I can't. If you do a search you will find a lot of favorable posts about the M&P. I think it would be quite suitable for a CCW because their are compact versions.

Again, a search on Taurus firearms will get you quite a few hits. My general reading experience is that there are quite a bit more negative posts about Taurus guns than other brands. I know you can always find something bad posted about any firearm, but Taurus seems to take more hits than others. Sometimes for customer service.

I shoot a Beretta PX4 which also has some compact versions. It has proven reliable, light in recoil and accurate.

SA or DA...personal preference IMO. Many of the handguns marketed as DA or some variant actually have nice triggers that are lighter than one might expect given the definition of DA. Often they are a special trigger design loosely based on DA.

Hope that helps.

Fly

Ace_Breaker
February 4, 2008, 11:34 PM
If you look at some of my posts you will see that I had a new Millennium fall apart on me on the first trip to the range. I took it back right away or an exchange on a CZ. Never looked back! But if you look at some of the polls, even ones posted by me, you will see almost zero votes for Taurus being a favorite or most trusted firearm. I chuckle as I wonder where all the votes are from these die hard Taurus fans? The current poll for best handguns for example tells the tale. My suggestion is to look at the companies with the highest votes then research from there. Good luck! http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278787

My vote: Glock, CZ, HK

arcticap
February 5, 2008, 12:18 AM
Consider the heavier, full size stainless steel S&W model 5906 which has a single/double action, 4 inch barrel and either fixed or adjustable sights.
Police trade-ins are usually about $300.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_2709461d85e6c6531.jpg

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/firearms-6/4746-wts-s-w-5906-9mm-w-ns.html

skeeter1
February 5, 2008, 12:53 AM
I have a Beretta 92 that I use for range use, and I like it a lot, but I consider it too heavy for routine carry. For that, I like my little S&W snubby.

I have shot the S&W M&P 9mm and was quite impressed with it.

My cousin has a CZ75-SP01 and loves it to bits. He uses it for USPSA range shooting. It's also probably too heavy for carry, holsters are hard to come by, and it was fairly expensive. He got it from Angus Hobdell's custom shop in AZ.

I've never fired the Walther (although my brother has a PPK/S and a TPH, and they're well-made handguns) or the Taurus.

Although I'm not particulary fond of them, you might also want to look into a Glock. They seem to have a rabid following of fans.

pistolet1
February 5, 2008, 07:47 PM
Bobsclassic

Welcome Bob. I'm not sure by what you mean when you say for target use, as none of those pistols are really set up for target shooting. Now if you just mean target practice, as in getting proficient by punching holes in paper targets, then any of the three will do that. The S&W M&P is more of a full size service pistol (though it does come in a Compact model roughly the size of the MilPro); the Taurus MilPro is a high capacity CCW; and the Walther PPS is a really small (and super slim), truly dedicated CCW gun. The latest MilPro pistols use a SA/DA trigger than I think is far superior to the earlier generations long DAO triggers. You might also want to consider other makes, such as Glock, CZ, SIG, or H&K, as all of them offer comapct 9mm. models with any number of different trigger configurations.

shepherddogs
February 5, 2008, 08:19 PM
M&P.:)

JG2324
February 6, 2008, 10:08 PM
I've just joined too. I'm finding myself in a similar situation as Bob. I'm looking for CCW. After reading numerous blogs, websites,...and visiting ranges to try different guns, I think my search has been narrowed to three: Walther PPS vs. Kahr PM9 vs. S&W M&P 9mm compact. (Though with every visit to the range, that list has changed a number of times!) I've been able to shoot the Kahr and the S&W, but have yet to find a place that I can try out the PPS. While the Kahr seems great for a CCW due to its size/weight, I really enjoyed the S&W. It fit my hand well and I was better at grouping the rounds in the kill zone under rapid fire. I have had positive experiences with Walther and would love to try that prior to making a decision. Though...the price of the S&W w/ $50 rebate+2 extra magazines free may sway me! Could always try/buy the PPS later! BTW, stay away from the Taurus!! I didn't like that at all! Good luck! JG2324

gopack
February 6, 2008, 11:52 PM
I like the M&P9. It is a well-built, excellent pistol.

If you a not an experienced handgun shooter, you might want to consider getting a .22 semiauto for training and practice (Ruger, Buck Mark, 22A). All are excellent target pistols, great for training and learning to shoot and the cost of .22 ammo gives you a lot of practice rounds without breaking the budget.

JG2324
February 8, 2008, 05:06 PM
I broke down and bought the Walther PPS and the M&P9c. Shot 100 rds through both with no problems. Very similar pattern. The M&Pc was easy to get used to, but it is much bulkier for carry. The PPS took some getting used to...trigger, mag eject is on the trigger guard...but the just took a few rounds. It is much slimer, but just as heavy.