PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to decock on reloads in IDPA?

9mm1033
January 24, 2008, 10:01 AM
I've shot USPSA before, but if I try IDPA with my Sig P229, do I have to decock during reloads?

Jim Watson
January 24, 2008, 10:08 AM
No, you just have to keep your finger out of the trigger guard when reloading.
You must also keep your finger out of the trigger guard when moving unless shooting on the move.

9mm1033
January 24, 2008, 10:34 AM
Since (as you know) USPSA is simply drop and reload I tried a tactical reload, my style. It worked fine and I felt comfortable. But, looking through a couple books, I noticed Massad Ayoob has a different method and he indicates a Sig should be decocked. Another writer, Gabe Suarez has a different style from Ayoob for a tactical reload. I suppose I should stick to what works for me and do not decock. Thanks

RickB
January 24, 2008, 01:50 PM
I have never seen anyone decock during a reload. I have seen guys safe a 1911 during reloads, or even when moving between shooting positions, and as long as the safety always comes off as the gun comes up, it's no problem. The reason I wouldn't decock, is that I wouldn't want to have to deal with the DA trigger more than once per stage.

alan
January 24, 2008, 06:59 PM
Seems as if "what do the rules of the game say on the subject" is a reasonable question.

Sigma 40 Blaster
January 24, 2008, 10:29 PM
You have to start the string with the hammer down on a DA/SA gun. After that you should be firing only in single action mode (if you have no malfunctions).