PDA

View Full Version : Semi Autos?

skydiver3346
January 21, 2008, 12:34 PM
Can someone share with me what they feel is the most reliable, accurate and best made semi automatic pistol on the market?

Must be easy to operate and easy to clean. Most important, DEPENDABLE in an emergency (like a revolver). I already have a couple revolvers but want to purchase a very good automatic pistol and need some opinions on what you feel is best.
Thanks

DaveInPA
January 21, 2008, 12:38 PM
We're going to need a lot more information. What caliber do you want? What size? Do you plan on this being an every day concealed carry weapon? Price range you're comfortable with?

Perldog007
January 21, 2008, 12:39 PM
GLock. I like my XD but it hasn't been documented reliable like the GLock to my satisfaction.

Glock 17 with maritime stuff (too lazy to google it, there's your homework). And be happy.

The Glock has it's fanatics and detractors like any gun. My faith is based on personal experience with my 23 and the Washington, D.C. police.

I have lots of respect for MPDC. As a group they are not gunsmart. Those Glocks take what they dish out and keep on going.

HappyGunner
January 21, 2008, 01:04 PM
I would think a Glock fits this pretty close.;)

YukonKid
January 21, 2008, 01:06 PM
HK, Sig, Glock...dont own a glock, but i would if the others didnt work :)

Technosavant
January 21, 2008, 01:09 PM
The most dependable one is not terribly likely to be the most accurate. Sure, they will be "accurate enough," with "enough" meaning within about 3" (give or take an inch) at 50 yards. Plenty good enough for defensive use.

For those criteria, I'd look at a Glock, XD, HK USP, or similar for good "out of the box" reliability. However, I'd never trust my life or the lives of my loved ones to a gun that I have not personally put a couple hundred rounds through to ensure its reliability. Everybody can churn out a junk gun every now and then, and there's no telling if you got one until you get to the range. But you're best off finding a gun that fits you best and then ensuring its reliability than just buying one based on tests and anecdots and expecting it to perform 100% right out of the box.

2cooltoolz
January 21, 2008, 01:12 PM
I really love the Sig Sauer P22x series. I own a P220 and P226. First shot Double Action, or thumb cock for single action, then the subsequent shots are single action, cocked by the reciprocating slide. They have a Decocker , to safely lower the hammer if you choose not to fire. No safety, but as with a double action revolver, none is needed. Double action trigger pull is about 10 lbs, similar to a good revolver, then 4.5 lbs SA after that...butter.
Some people don't like the shift between DA/SA, but that is the only criticism I ever hear on Sigs and I don't see it as a problem at all. Dependability, reliability, quality of construction are industry standards.
Cleaning is a breeze. Lock the slide back, put the take down lever down to 6:00 and disassemble. A 2 minute operation.
Out of the box accuracy is almost undisputed (there's always one guy!).
New Sigs can be expensive, but there is a Factory program, Certified Pre Owned, where used Sigs (police buy backs usually) are refurbished by factory armourers, usually sell in the $500 range and have a factory 1 year warranty. They come in a new factory case, new paperwork..very nice. Check out "Sig CPO" on google and at Gunbroker.com.
These are not to be confused with the P225/P6 used imports, which are European military/LEO buy backs, which are cleaned up, generally good condition 20-30 year old guns, with no warranty beyond what the dealer offers. I think they are probably good used guns, but not refurbished and with a notoriously heavy first DA pull. The p225 (P6 military designation) guns generally run in the $350-$400 range.

Whirlwind06
January 21, 2008, 02:37 PM
Ruger P series. P89, P95 and P90

Playboypenguin
January 21, 2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, Glock would be a good example of something reliable and easy to disassemble and clean. My XD is also very easy to take down and reassemble.

HappyGunner
January 21, 2008, 04:03 PM
I also think the XDs would fit well for this.:)

Joe the Redneck
January 21, 2008, 04:46 PM
I realize you are new to an exciting hobby, and I want you to get the most out of it. So I will share a few thoughts.

There is no such thing as "the best." Everygun you will ever buy will be a compromise one way or the other.

There is a place for the Colt 1911, there is a place for the Glock, there is a place for a snub nosed revolver.

You will discover that asking "Which gun is best" will not yield any kind of meaningful answer. Everyone has their own opinion.

Personally, I would not suggest a Glock, even though I own several. I believe they are a poor choice for a "First" auto-loaded. I would rather you have something with a switch-able safety at first. Coming from revolvers with a firm double action trigger to a long/soft trigger like a Glock can be a little spooky.

I would like to see you start with a Ruger P series Auto. They have a safty and you can get a true double action auto. Help you get used to the idea. They are decent guns and fairly inexpensive.

Down the road, you can always sell it.

Best wishes

Joe

P97
January 21, 2008, 10:23 PM
A lot of people trust their lives to the Ruger P-Series every day. I have a KP90DC on as I type this. It has never failed to fire when I pulled the trigger, and I've never had it Jam. It is as good a gun as I need. :D

captkirk9195
January 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
The one I love most in my collection, is a Sig P220 SAO. So it's always single action, and has a safety similar to a 1911 positionally, so you can carry it "cocked and locked"

I also have a .380 Makarov pistol as well, that is fairly accurate, affordable, and feeds everything but UMC ammo for some reason.

The P220 is more accurate than my Mak, even though the Mak is a fixed barrel. Of course, like all things, you get what you pay for, and the Sig is top notch.

HTH

Jason

OnTheFly
January 21, 2008, 11:42 PM
Take a look at the Beretta PX4. It is chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Very simple to field strip, like most of the newer "technopolymer" semi-autos. Rotating barrel is advertised to reduce felt recoil. Reliable to the last shot.

Fly

Pinky Carruthers
January 21, 2008, 11:48 PM
Walther P99 with the AS trigger (DA/SA).

darrentxs
January 22, 2008, 01:52 AM
CZ 97B I shot 3 of them and was VERY impressed with the accuracy, dependability & quality of them all.

predator86
January 22, 2008, 02:08 AM
i love my beratta 92fs in 9mm...easy to feild strip, yesterday it was 5 degrees out ( not including windchill) and at 15 yards i put 3 in the x-ring and the other 12 went right around the 9/10 ring. recoil is managable, wonderful shooter....

NCHornet
January 22, 2008, 10:47 AM
I realize you are new to an exciting hobby, and I want you to get the most out of it. So I will share a few thoughts.

There is no such thing as "the best." Everygun you will ever buy will be a compromise one way or the other.

There is a place for the Colt 1911, there is a place for the Glock, there is a place for a snub nosed revolver.

You will discover that asking "Which gun is best" will not yield any kind of meaningful answer. Everyone has their own opinion.

Personally, I would not suggest a Glock, even though I own several. I believe they are a poor choice for a "First" auto-loaded. I would rather you have something with a switch-able safety at first. Coming from revolvers with a firm double action trigger to a long/soft trigger like a Glock can be a little spooky.

I would like to see you start with a Ruger P series Auto. They have a safty and you can get a true double action auto. Help you get used to the idea. They are decent guns and fairly inexpensive.

Down the road, you can always sell it.

Best wishes

Joe

I agree with the first part of what Joe said, but disagree about a Glock not being good for your first pistol. A Glock is a excellent choice if you practice proper gun safytey, if you don't you shouldn't have any gun!! A Glock will not build a false sense of security of having a Saftey on a firearm. If you have had proper instruction and follow it there is no simpler, more accurate, reliable pistol than the Glocks, ugly? yes, boring? yes, lack in style? yes, but are you buying a suit or a firearm?
NCH