PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS Gas Cylinder Tube Hand Guard

tbinder
January 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hello All,

A buddy gave me a really, really beat up SKS because I picked up one of those black ATI Monto Carlo stocks at a yard sale (paid $5). Nice guy but he is always mooching off me and this was a way to say thanks. I was about to replace the wooden Gas Cylinder Tube Hand Guard with the plastic guard but noticed a pin holds the rear hand guard metal appliance to the actual gas tube. The pin doesn't want to move so I am wondering if the metal appliance "snaps" over the pin instead?

Before I start whailing on the pin, I hope someone here can give me a little advice. - Thanks!

tbinder
January 12, 2008, 03:55 PM
Inspection of Gas Tube Assembly will reveal a small rivet running crosswise through the rear handguard sheet metal cover. Rivet may be difficult to see. Rivet has two ends, the head and the shaft. Be sure to punch out from shaft end. Remove this rivet by using a 1/16" punch or the "punch" provided in your cleaning kit. Eye protection is a must!

Once rivet is removed, the rear sheet metal cover will slide off, as will the wooden handguard. NOTE: If rivet is damaged, a similar sized finish nail can be cut to length to serve as a replacement. Must be cut to fit smoothly, as did original rivet.