PDA

View Full Version : What I Want To Hear

ShootingNut
January 7, 2008, 04:43 PM
Is personal reviews from owners of the Sig P220.
And, what can one expect to pay for one, like this?
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=6&productid=186
Does it handle the .45 recoil well, as compared to a 1911?
Appreciate any comments.
Thanks in advance,
SN

Shadi Khalil
January 7, 2008, 05:13 PM
I recently shot the non-elite verison of said pistol. It was hands down the best shooting full size .45 I've ever shot in my life. Far better than any 1911. this was the SAO version, I highly recommend you get the SAO. My friend paid 950.00 (with night sights) for his and I believe it was well worth every penny. So much so, It will be my next purchase.

hope this helps.

teif.

oldandslow
January 7, 2008, 06:18 PM
shootingnut

Happy New Year. I have three sigs including a 220-stainless in .45 caliber. They are one of the few pistols which are good shooters right out of the box. They are exceptionally reliable, accurate, safe and simple. Recoil is minimal due to the extra weight of the stainless construction (as opposed to aluminum or polymer framed guns). The trigger is good in both double and single action modes. Sig 220 owners are overwhelmingly happy with their pistols. Hope this helps.

best wishes- oldandslow

pistolet1
January 7, 2008, 06:47 PM
ShootingNut

I had a very early P220 in the form of the Browning BDA. As oldandslow said, this is one of the few guns that are good to go right out of the box. Felt recoil is minimal thanks to great ergonomics and the accuracy is outstanding, even for a fixed sighted pistol like the BDA. Trigger pull was excellent in both DA and SA, something that is hard to come by in some other DA semi autos. Overall an outstanding gun that will serve you well in any configuration.

Chui
January 7, 2008, 07:03 PM
Search www.10-8forums.com for info from hard users - law enforcement usage.

I never shot the pistol well (compared to the 1911), though I acknowledge it's a nice pistol. However, it does not compare to a 1911 - and certainly not my lightly customized TRPs. I sold both my P220R and P220 Langdon Edition...

OldShooter
January 7, 2008, 07:17 PM
Teifmen,

Should we assume you have shot every 1911 there is? Have you shot every other .45? Just checking because you are so emphatic.

tharmer
January 7, 2008, 07:42 PM
Last year I bought a 1987 P220 (LEO trade-in I'll bet) for $375. I feel like I stole gold. The trigger is so smooth I think it was worked. Recoil is fine no matter what factory or reload I use. It's as accurate or more than my full worked CZ 75B. It would be the next to last gun I'd ever sell...and then only because I don't find it comfortable to carry. (The last to sell would be my P99c Walther).
-terry

Shadi Khalil
January 7, 2008, 08:41 PM
I knew I wouldnt get away with that first post with out adding a redundent disclaimer like "IMHO". I also forgot that everything we post on this forum must be backed by emperical evidence, photos, chrono charts, ect...Heaven forbid a man should shoot a pistol he likes and actually be excited about it, and may those same heavens strike him down should he voice his opinion......

Oldshooter,

I have shot lots of 1911. a few colts, kimbers (i've owned) and a couple springers. The full size 220 SAO felt better in my hands than an of the 1911 I have ever shot. I also found myslef to be quite accurate with it. I've shot many other .45's as well......I like the 1911 and I like the .45, I just found that the 220 SAO took a caliber and platform I like and combined them into one hell of a pistol.

flame repelled.

chuter
January 7, 2008, 08:47 PM
My 220 is a little older but really like it. I had it factory tuned and added an adjustable rear sight with tritium and tritium front blade from Millet. Won't compare it to my 1911's because there is no comparison, it's a different weapon in feel and function. Variety is the spice of life.

ShootingNut
January 8, 2008, 07:08 AM
"Won't compare it to my 1911's because there is no comparison, it's a different weapon in feel and function. Variety is the spice of life."

Do you use the P220 for a CCW? How would you compare the accuracy of it to your 1911's, taking into account everyone will shoot differently of couse.
Can you elaborate more on how the "feel" is different? Just bulk and size?
Regards,
SN

Perldog007
January 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
Second hand report here. Know a retired cop who has a collection to rival PBPs' and who has had to use a handgun at least once that I know of. His 220 is his absolute favorite. Not too many he hasn't carried, owned, handled, or confiscated over the last three or so decades.

ShootingNut
January 8, 2008, 12:26 PM
Sounds like a strong endorsement for the 220 from a very credible source.
Thanks, I'm having a heck of a time, day to day back and forth. At this rate,
I'll end up flipping a coin!;)
Regards,
SN

Manedwolf
January 8, 2008, 12:30 PM
I own a West German SIG P220, the one with the carbon steel slide balanced more toward the back. It's got straight-8 sights and Hogue grips.

It is, without any doubt whatsoever, the most accurate, comfortable gun I've ever had the pleasure of firing.

I just point it at the target, glance at the sights, and proceed to punch the center out of a shoot-n-see. The first time I took it to the range, I'd thought I missed the paper on the second shot. And then realized the second shot had hit so adjacent to the first that it tore out part of the same hole. :eek:

Best .45 ACP ever made, IMO.

ShootingNut
January 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
Gee wiz, and that's with blindfolds on!:D
Seriously, thanks for sharing I am hearing more good than bad about the 220.
That Elite Stainless sure looks nice, I'm getting ansy.
Regards,
SN

Manedwolf
January 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
Well, I still aim, I just mean that if I keep the sights lined up in the same place on the target, it keeps hitting the same place on the target, and I find it very easy to re-acquire, since recoil is negligible due to the design. Accurate!

jaymce
January 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
I have an older 220 (5 years or so) and like the gun . Never had a problem with it which is what I have come to expect from Sig. Everyone who has shot it liked it as well. I have run probably 1000 rounds through it.

Is it better than the 1911?. Hard to say. I have a WWII era 1911 that was my grandfathers and I rarely shoot it. A buddy has a knock off 1911 that works ok but not what the Sig is, although I do not know that the knock off is much of a comparison.

Sig is very accurate, easy to clean, I like the safety features better, it feels better in my hand (I also have a 226 so it could just feel more familiar), and the modern sighting makes target acquisition much easier.

The 1911, I like the trigger better it seems smoother, but that could be from me not shooting the 220 enough. When I bought it I was shooting bowling pins and plate and felt I wanted a .45 to add to the mix. Shortly there after I stopped shooting pins regularly, plus my times with the DE in .357 were better, but I am sure that I was still in the learning curve with the 220 (still am come to think of it:)).

As said before more different than better.

MLeake
January 8, 2008, 05:28 PM
Caveat: Statements on perceived recoil and feel are based on my subjective experience, and may not hold true for others. I used to wrestle, still lift weights, and I have fairly large hands and pretty long fingers. What feels great to me may not feel great to others.

I've had my P220 since 1995, when I bought it in used but good condition. It's eaten thousands of rounds of .45ACP, in everything from cheap Blazer to Wal-Mart white box Winchester to top shelf 230gr Hydra-Shok and 165 and 185gr Cor-Bon with equal aplomb. It has never failed to eject or return to battery. Out of the box accuracy is great, so much so that I'm a bit nervous about installing some Trijicon's later this week - Murphy's Law.... The trigger is every bit as sweet as the one on my '60's vintage S&W M18 target revolver, and better than those on my other autos.

If I had to choose only one of my pistols for all around defensive use, it would be the P220. (I like my SIG CSR C3 and my Beretta 92F well enough, but there is something to be said about not having to think about a safety in a stress situation... I know, I know, always practice clearing the safety - but even so)

My P220 has the aluminum frame, and is fairly light. Compared to a 1911 grip, the P220's is rounder and feels a bit more forgiving. Due to the combination of a well designed grip shape, plus the addition of a Hogue monogrip, it has very little perceived recoil. Note: this is true for my hand, and may not be true for yours. Second note: I like the shape, but not the material of stock SIG P220 grips. The Hogue feels perfect.

Muzzle rise on recoil is comparable to a 1911 Commander, and less than what I experience on .45 Glocks. I find it very easy to get sights back on line for a fast second shot.

That said, I can shoot a 1911 faster than I can shoot the P220, though not by much. This is solely due to the shorter trigger travel inherent to the 1911, and not due to controllability per se.

I've read a lot of talk about the difficulty in transitioning from DA to SA modes. Two observations:

1) Objectively, when I start a string of rounds with a full DA pull, that first round is almost always dead center. It's a very nice DA trigger. Hopefully, in a defensive encounter, that first shot will be decisive;

2) The SA trigger pull itself is also very nice, but there is a fair amount of slack to be taken up. It doesn't take very long to figure out just how much creep to expect, but like all endeavors, it does take some practice, but shooting the P220 quickly and accurately becomes second nature.

chris in va
January 8, 2008, 05:41 PM
I've had my 1994 220 for about 3 years now.

Not rich by a long shot so it's only seen about 400 rounds by me, but not ONE failure of any kind, mostly with Blazer Brass and a few defensive rounds.

Recoil, pretty stiff. Definitely more than a 5" 1911. The frame is alloy remember. Trigger is amazing, zero creep in SA. Ergos leave a lot to be desired, but not horrible. I've thought about making my own grips as the ones I'd like to see on here cost $160.:eek:

The gun was recommended to me by an LEO that used one in SD. I understand why now, it just works.

Before you go blowing $800 on a newer Sig, keep in mind the older ones are just as good if not better and they cost half as much. Mine was $450.