PDA

View Full Version : Question for S&W 669 owners

FR Baseball
January 5, 2008, 03:47 PM
Have a question for anybody that owns a 669. I took my 669 down to a gunstore, I was going to trade it in towards a M&P9. The guy behind the counter looked at it and said it was not functional. He pointed out that with the gun unloaded and an empty magazine inserted, when the trigger is pulled the hammer does not travel forward enough to strike the firing pin. I bought this gun used a few months ago. When I first got it I field stripped it, cleaned it up, and took it to the range. It ran fine for 200 rounds. I cleaned it after that range session and haven't shot it since. I have attached a few pictures to show what I'm talking about. The first pictures shows the gun gun while it is decocked, notice that the hammer if flat with the back of the slide. The second pictures shows what the hammer looks like after the trigger is pulled. The hammer goes all the way back, but it doesn't go forward enough to contact the firing pin. So, do your 669's do the same thing, or do I need to contact S&W for repair work?

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6528/cimg0003ns8.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9276/cimg0001sr6.jpg

Sarge
January 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'd just take it out and shoot it. If it works ok, it's fine.

pistolet1
January 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
FR baseball

Let me get this straight: You rack the slide as if you're chambering a round-slide goes forward, hammer is all the way back-you drop the safety, hammer drops all the way down, flush with the slide-when you pull the trigger in DA, hammer goes back, falls forward, but stops short of striking the firing pin. Is this correct? Does the same thing happen when you pull the trigger in SA mode (when the hammer is all the way back and you have not dropped the safety)?

FR Baseball
January 6, 2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I tried the "pencil test", and it shot out of the barrel, so there is nothing wrong with it. Thanks for all the advice, I'll show the dealer tomorrow.