PDA

View Full Version : Sporterized Mosin?

grymster2007
January 2, 2008, 09:05 PM
So now I have Mosins in M44 and 91/30. I don’t have a high power sporting rifle and I like to tinker. Thinking of sporterizing the 30. I see one can get a black, glass stock. Think I’d like a wood stock better, but couldn’t google one up, so the black one would be OK.

Looks like one can get a scope mount and bent bolt also.

Anyone here try this?

SIGSHR
January 2, 2008, 09:30 PM
Spoterizing an M91/30 Mosin Nagant? Boo! Hiss! As you have probably read
here and elsewhere, sporterizing takes a $200 rifle, puts $300 into and turns it
into a $100 rifle. Your decision of course but IMHO you would be much better off getting something more "modern" and leaving a historical piece as is.

grymster2007
January 2, 2008, 10:24 PM
They made 20 million of the damn things. I think use them for firewood in Darfur furchristsakes!

Ya know…. I almost added to the post a clause about not wanting to hear something that makes it sound like I’d be dropping a small block chevy into a vintage Ferrari, or stuffing some JB-weld into the crack on the Liberty Bell. But hey I wouldn’t ask if I thought everyone would have the same opinion…. so thanks!:)

keebo52
January 2, 2008, 10:39 PM
Here you go...
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/actions_available.htm

kozak6
January 2, 2008, 10:57 PM
You probably should double check the markings on your rifles to make sure you don't have something particularly desireable or collectible. If you had something rare (and valuable!), it would be a shame to chop it up.

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has a plain walnut stock.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=875240&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

They also have a bent bolt body.

You may also want one of those Huber ball match triggers, or you can also do a search about shimming the trigger at gunboards.com (just don't bring up your intentions for the rifle there) .

The scope mount and bent bolt kit both require drilling and tapping, and the bent bolt kit involves hacksawing and filing.

There are also scout style scope mounts availible that don't involve nearly as much work, and don't require you permanently modify your rifle.

If you ask me, the Mosin isn't a terribly good choice for sporterizing, especially if you plan on using it for hunting. Operating the bolt is a little clumsy, many of them have weird and/or funky triggers, and the safety is flat out bad.

You could probably pick up a Mauser for a song (and a barreled action even cheaper), and make a better rifle out of that, or even pick one up that's already been sporterized for cheap and save yourself some effort.

If you wanted, you could even have a Mauser rebarreled, whereas no one will touch a Mosin.

shooter_john
January 2, 2008, 11:22 PM
There are some simple and easy (and cheap) plans floating around the net that allows you to make a very solid and stable scout mound using the front sight. (the jist is that you remove it, grind the dovetail out, drill/ tap it, add a weaver rail and turn it upside down, and re-install.) You could do that and then add a pistol scope or red dot for a rather fun piece. I did that to a M44 that I bought for $40, then ended up selling it for $100!

$40 gun + $15 taps, screws, rail= $45 profit!

But now I kind of miss that ole beater every once in a while.

keebo52
January 2, 2008, 11:33 PM
There are some simple and easy (and cheap) plans floating around the net
Any idea where to find those scout mount plans? I'd love to see that.

grymster2007
January 3, 2008, 12:40 AM
Any idea where to find those scout mount plans? I'd love to see that.

Mosin Scout (http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/mosinscoutrifle/index.asp)

You could probably pick up a Mauser for a song (and a barreled action even cheaper), and make a better rifle out of that, or even pick one up that's already been sporterized for cheap and save yourself some effort.

Might be good advice, but not looking to save money or effort. Most of the fun is in the tinkering. Also I think we're up to 11 firearms now and Mrs. Grymster might take a dim view of another one showing up anytime soon. Actually, while she can count, she probably wouldn't notice the difference between a Mosin and a Mauser. Guess I could buy a Mauser and maybe... I dunno... employ the lumber in the Mosin to rebuild that failing retaining wall in the side yard???:)

DWARREN123
January 3, 2008, 08:15 AM
I do know about the parts but it is your rifle so go for it if it makes you happy.

keebo52
January 3, 2008, 08:19 AM
Mosin Scout
That ain't it. I have a Darrells mount on an M44. I want to see how to make the mount from the front sight as stated.
make a very solid and stable scout mound using the front sight. (the jist is that you remove it, grind the dovetail out, drill/ tap it, add a weaver rail and turn it upside down, and re-install.)

deathshead
January 3, 2008, 09:20 AM
for a little over $40 this guy does a realy nice job at converting your strait bolt to a bent bolt.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89012950

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88919307

mosinfanatic
January 4, 2008, 11:47 PM
buy a mauser thats sacrilige(just kidding) i have a 1934 91/30 mosin with 26" barrel, full barrel suppressor(make my own), modified original stock with finger slots/ raised cheak rest/rubber recoil pad(a must), free floated the barrel, fitted a bipod, lightened the trigger, added a ati scope mount and bent bolt kit(does wounders for extraction problems) and 6 to 24 by 50 scope. and i take it shooting every weekend.

humanitarian2112
January 5, 2008, 01:40 AM
Make sure you have 3 of them and you only do it to one of them. But hack it, chop it, grind it, weld it, buff it, polish it, whatever. It's your time, money and effort.

I've been eyeballing turning one into a scout. I see a bubba'd design in my future, as well.

grymster2007
January 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
Well I haven’t done anything yet, been busy setting up my new loading press. I’ll probably buy the ATI stock and the bent bolt for starters. Then I might just make my own scope mount, because I’m not so sure I like the ATI unit.

shooter_john
January 6, 2008, 07:47 PM
This is not the what I did for mine, but it looks like ot may be a happy medium.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/skm44scopemount/index.asp

The way I did it was to:
1. Take the rear sight off, grind the dovetail sight flat, turn it upside down and reinstall.

2. Drill and tap the sight base, for extra sturdiness, dril into the sight block that is around the barrel, and tap it also. (I think I used 12-32 screws)

3. Buy a long waver rail, available at Dick's, Academy, maybe even Wally World... If you can't find a blank, one for a Marlin 336 or similar should work fine too, and drill it to match your new 'base'.

4. Thread screws through rail, sight and block, and tighten... DONE!

Obviously, it is very important that everything be straight and level, and I may have even used a nut between the block and the sight to ensure it stayed level once it was installed, but I did it a LONG time ago, and sold the rifle a LONG time ago too. I have seriously been thinking about getting another one and doing it again.