PDA

View Full Version : Fixed blade knives..what do you use it for?

Mags
January 2, 2008, 06:41 PM
I"m new to the knife thing. I just bought a nice Kershaw Tactical Blur folder ( 3 1/4" blade) with assisted opening. I love it! Carry it all the time now. I would like to get a fixed blade knife, perhaps a SOG seal pup knife. But I just cant see what the hell I'll use it for. Really cant carry it unless hiking or something. I dont hunt. So what do you guys use it for other having something like it because its cool to have, or just use it on occasion around the house.

jhansman
January 2, 2008, 06:59 PM
But I just cant see what the hell I'll use it for.

Exactly. I just ordered an inexpensive Bowie that I know I'll never carry or likely use, but I want it anyway. That's the deal with fixed-blades; they just aren't practical, unless you're Davy Crockett. :cool:

scottz0369
January 2, 2008, 07:03 PM
In my humble opinion, a fixed blade knife is most suitable for outdoor work-camping, hiking, hunting and the like. I carry a Benchmade 141 fixed blade-it's a relatively short blade-5 inches or so with a tanto tip. If I had to do it again I'd get the Benchmade 140 with the drop point tip-I haven't broken the tip, but the drop-point tip looks sturdier than a tanto. A fixed blade should be heavy enough to use as a light chopping tool and suitable for heavy cutting chores. I'm active-duty military (Marines) currently in Iraq and I mainly use mine to assist in searching things-the blade is long enough to use as a probe to check sacks, prying boards etc. I also cut kindling with it-it's cold here this time of year!
A good fixed blade knife is a great tool to have if you spend time in the conditions to warrant it's use.
One of my guys has a Seal Pup that he likes a lot, and another has a Cold Steel with a similiarly sized blade. Don't recall the model. You can't go wrong with a good, quality knife.

Scott
MSgt USMC
Somewhere in Iraq

Playboypenguin
January 2, 2008, 07:11 PM
I keep a fixed blade knife in my survival bag in my truck. A fixed blade is invaluable for wilderness survival. It is good for clearing small brush, skinning small animals, cutting rope, etc.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23379&d=1173831434

AK103K
January 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
Fixed blades come in all sizes for any number of uses, just like a folder. Best part about them is, they arent a folder.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d700b3127ccebc120748986d00000036100CYuWbdo5bsU

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d700b3127ccebc12079498b100000036100CYuWbdo5bsU

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d700b3127ccebc121d4a195200000035100CYuWbdo5bsU

bikerbill
January 3, 2008, 01:28 PM
I have a number of fixed-blade knives. I never use any of them, but I love owning them. If you don't hunt, I can't imagine what value they would have in day-to-day life. I always carry a knife in addition to my handgun, it's always a folder. I'd never tell you not to buy one, but unless you hunt or are heavily involved in other outdoor activities, get it to admire, not to use.

22-rimfire
January 5, 2008, 05:45 PM
I also prefer folders to use. Frankly, the dominant folder that I carry is a thin Vic Swiss Army knife that cost about $20. The only time I carry a fixed blade knife is deer hunting, hiking, and general woods hanging out. Your choice is not bad as far as I'm concerned. I really like the SOG Seal Pup Elite with the plain edge and satin finish (no paint). It is my go to knife for those times I want a fixed blade with me.

People use large fixed blades for military(defensive/offensive) activities. Folks baton with them camping or just doing general woods craft tasks. Some clear limbs and cut small trees with their big knives. A fixed blade is handy for skinning larger game. Some folks even hunt hogs using only their knives (Rambo style).

Most fixed blades are not acceptable for everyday carry.

To me, most of my fixed blades don't see much use. Some are too expensive to use when I have less expensive but very good quality fixed blades like the SOG. The Falkniven are favorites such as this one (http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=5375 ), but I don't have one yet. Will eventually pick one up, just because....

Knives like guns get bought just because..... often.

The Tourist
January 5, 2008, 09:58 PM
knife...is invaluable

Why, PBP, much like myself, I see you're also a troop member of the Sicilian Boy Scouts. I can tell by your Pro-Tech that you earned your Webelos Badge in coiled springs. Nice choice, I own the same knife.

I just bought a cheap fixed knife, a CS Kubon. It has not arrived yet and I simply want to put a good edge on a piece of survival gear that might have to be sacrificed.

Playboypenguin
January 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
I can tell by your Pro-Tech that you earned your Webelos Badge in coiled springs. Nice choice, I own the same knife.
I love that knife. I need to get another one since I am banging this one up carrying it everyday. :)

The Tourist
January 5, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am banging this one up

Let me know when it goes dull.

I would hate to see another Scout Member show up at choir practice without his whittling knife...

skeeter1
January 8, 2008, 01:05 AM
In my humble opinion, a fixed blade knife is most suitable for outdoor work-camping, hiking, hunting and the like.

Well, my big Ka-Bar did plenty of double-duty when backpacking as a hatchet for cutting up firewood. For everyday carry, I prefer a folder, but the fixed-blade still has it's place.

tplumeri
January 8, 2008, 01:20 AM
I carry an automatic all the time but i have a cheap fixed blade for quick digs when using my metal detector.

Bill DeShivs
January 8, 2008, 02:52 AM
You guys shouldn't carry automatic knives!;)

Playboypenguin
January 8, 2008, 02:54 AM
You guys shouldn't carry automatic knives!
But they are the bee's knees. :)

tube_ee
January 8, 2008, 04:30 AM
I wear a belt anyway, (nobody makes size 37 pants), and not having to dig in my pocket for my knife is so very nice. I always had folders, but after using a fixed, I don't think I'll go back. California's very liberal knife laws help. (Folding, any size, concealed carry OK. Fixed, any size, open carry OK)

Reach down, grab knife, use knife, drop knife back in sheath.

I'll be buying a ~2", full-palm-handled Anza to be my daily workin' knife, saving the 5 1/2" Anza for field use. I prefer a finger-grooved handle, and a textured spine for thumb control on tough cuts. Charlie's a great guy, and local, so I buy my knives from him. Other makers also make a great variety of fixed blades. Find the knife maker near you! Most big cities should have one, and there's nothing better than talking about your needs with the guy who's going to make your knife. Keeps your money in your town, too.

--Shannon