PDA

View Full Version : A mistake - A learning - Brownells tech dept!

Harry Bonar
December 27, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Guys:
I was threading a Mauser - 1.100X12 thd! I set my pins on the quick change (B hole and 6th pin) and went at it, several times! The action would screw on loose because it got tight and wouldnt' shoulder up! I tried two barrels on this setting, checked and rechecked everything - finally got out my thread guage :o guess what? 11 1/2 thread cut perfectly!:eek:

So, further checks showed I had it in the fifth hole on my quick change and it should have been in the sixth. There are 8 holes and now there are two left (pin is proper now) I had never had this trouble before? It's corrected! No Sweat now!
But- an important "but." I remembered Brownells tech dept. in their write up on the Turk 38 Mauser and they said it was an 11 1/2 thd. too! (980X11 1/2) I told them, no, it was a machining error and they cerrosafed the action ring and, yea, it was 12 TPI! They admitted I was right but to this day they've not corrected their article (so much for honesty)!
Now, the point of this is that I did the same thing, the same mistake, as the Turk who did the bbl. did! My off threads were exactly 11 1/2 TPI! Now I know for sure how the Turk 38 was done because I did the very same thing!
I learned something - at 72 WATCH WHAT YOU'RE DOING!:)
Harry B.

srtrax
December 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
Harry
I hope age has nothing to do with it, i'm younger and have done the same thing...:o. I'm a cnc machinist at a global company and you know what happpens if you want to take .003 and push .03 for an offset on an automatic machine that runs at rapid speed, not pretty, just glad i have never done such a thing..;):D:o Thanks for the post Harry, you have to check and double check for your self and not take someones answer as gospel, but look for yourself and pay attention to what you are doing! I'm still waiting on my 2008 catolog from the Brownell Cowboys, guess i'm on there **** list this year.:D Have a great day and please count them holes!!!

Clemson
January 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hey Harry,

Cut the tenons to .980 and thread 'em 12 tpi for Turk actions.

Anybody who has ever run a lathe (and who will admit it) has made a mistake just like that. I was threading one a few months ago and pulled the bit out at the end of the cut but forgot to disengage the half-nuts. That particular barrel now has a slimmer shank by around 0.050 inches! I will save it for a featherweight.

Clemson

Harry Bonar
January 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
Sir:
That was a shocking learning process and told me to watch my holes!;)
I got two barrels at Douglas a customer had ordered but didn't want. I ended up with them (two of them) Doc, wanted one and I did too (they were 9.3 dia!!!
We built 9.3X62s with them. However, the threads were some different thread so we needed to cut off the threaded tennon! That left a short reinforce but Fred said it would be fine to we fit them to Turk38 actions (I like them) and yea did 980X12 thd. This worked out really well giving us light and powerful rifles. (Those Turks are hard inside the ring and just right outside.) Never had set-back - nice cheap actions.
ea, got everything in the right holes!:)

Harry Bonar
January 13, 2008, 09:39 PM
Sir:
That was a shocking learning process and told me to (watch my holes!;)
I got two barrels at Douglas a customer had ordered but didn't want. I ended up with them (two of them) Doc, wanted one and I did too (they were 9.3 dia!!!)
We built 9.3X62s with them. However, the threads were some different thread so we needed to cut off the threaded tennon! That left a short reinforce but Fred said it would be fine so we fit them to Turk38 actions (I like them) and yea did 980X12 thd. This worked out really well giving us light and powerful rifles. (Those Turks are hard inside the ring and just right outside.) Never had set-back - nice cheap actions.
yea, got everything in the right holes!:)
Harry B.

srtrax
January 16, 2008, 10:17 AM
Yea, life is so much easier when you put that little peg in the right hole!
LMAO, have a great day Harry...