PDA

View Full Version : WWII South Pacific

sophijo
December 14, 2007, 06:27 PM
I have a photo of my Dad carrying a holstered sidearm during WWII in the Solomans. Can anyone tell me what that pistol would probably have been.?
I'm not sure why I never asked him. He was pretty "closed mouth" about the whole thing though.
Thanks
Dave

Manedwolf
December 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
Well. If it was a semiauto, I'd say the best guess is the Colt M1911A1 .45 ACP. :)

Tom2
December 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
Well presumably you had about 3 choices, and the shape of the holster would determine that, possibly. Either any version of the 1911A1, made by several companies, or perhaps a Smith and Wesson Victory model 38 revolver, basically a M&P pre- model 10, or a Colt Commando .38 revolver. Odd cases of captured guns used, most often in Europe. The Japanese sidearms were not all that popular then and fired odd cartridges. Blow up the photo or something. Scan it 1200 dpi on you flatbed and blow it up on the screen and see if there is any detail in the photo that can help.

Perldog007
December 14, 2007, 07:27 PM
I knew a fellow who was a beachmaster and said he carried a .45 acp revolver, presumably the model 1917?

Erik
December 14, 2007, 08:07 PM
If you post the photo we'd be in a better position to opine.

Even a partial photo.

Deaf Smith
December 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yes some actually did carry 1917s. Even in the 8th Airforce, according to Harry Crosby in his book, 'A Wing and a Prayer', he carried a 1917 .45 revolver while flying over Germany.

So I have no doubt such as Smith .38s, Colt .38s, 1917s in Smith & Colt flavors, as well as the 1911 were used (I know of one account were a Navy Coxwain who was stuck on the beach overnight had a Smith .38 he got from a Marine Flier.

Oh, and the Japs. The officers actually bought their own guns. Browning 1910 .32s, Colt .32 1903s, as well as some Walther PPs were actually used by some as well as the Nambu 8 and 7mms, a weird 9mm revolver, and the type 84 pistol (a real stinker that was pitiful.)

Really, the Japanese pick of handguns reflected their thoughs it was a badge of rank. We actually thought about using them!

pistolet1
December 14, 2007, 09:14 PM
I remember reading somewhere that said most Navy and Marine pilots preferred the revolver over the 1911. Their thinking was that even if the revolver was somehow damaged or affected by the salt water, they could still manually turn the cylinder and try to get it to fire. They didn't feel that they would be able to get the 1911 to work at all under similiar conditions.

varoadking
December 15, 2007, 05:48 AM
Their thinking was that even if the revolver was somehow damaged or affected by the salt water, they could still manually turn the cylinder and try to get it to fire.

I would have thought that the heavy double action being less prone to AD would have been the logic for carrying a revolver in aircraft...though reliability may have been a consideration as well...

hhb
December 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
The big reason Navy pilots carried revolvers is that the Navy issued flare cartridges for signaling when they ditched at sea.

Tom2
December 15, 2007, 08:22 AM
Well was the 45 revolver issued or was it something that was procured or a personal item? Whatever the reason for pilots and revolvers, I know AF pilots carried LW K frame 38 snubs in the 80's when it was called for. Those were issued. Wonder if they carry Berettas now? The flare thing makes sense too. In revolvers that is. I suppose in the 45 that a tracer round would generate recoil to function the gun, but not the same thing. They also made shotshells for the 45 for small game survival.

sophijo
December 15, 2007, 09:22 AM
I'll figure out the technology and attempt to post. It wasn't a revolver.
Thanks for your replies
DN

Sturmgewehre
December 15, 2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah, a picture would help. It's anyone's guess... there were lots of handguns available to soldiers... some used U.S. issued handguns, others used personal weapons and some used battlefield pick-ups.

Chances are it's a U.S. issued 1911... but that's purely a guess.

HorseSoldier
December 17, 2007, 12:23 AM
I knew a fellow who was a beachmaster and said he carried a .45 acp revolver, presumably the model 1917?

Well was the 45 revolver issued or was it something that was procured or a personal item?

My grandfather's issue personal weapon (as an ambulance driver) in the PTO was a 1917 revolver. He, apparently, quite liked it -- said it was more accurate than 1911s, and would punch holes in the empty 55 gallon drums guys would use for informal target practice at ranges where the same .45 cal from a 1911 would just dent the drum.

radom
December 17, 2007, 06:44 AM
My guess is a 1917 has a taller front sight and is better than a 1911 at 100yds on elevation vs the mini front sight on a 1911 and the 1911 guys where shooting low and bouncing the rounds into the drums. Not to mention any oil drum is a hard target for the .45 ball round in the first place.

NORTEXED
December 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
My Dad was a flight engineer on C-87s (B-24's converted to cargo planes) and had over 500 hrs over "The Hump" from China to Burma and India. Hauled fuel and ammo to Claire Chenaults Flying Tigers. He carried a S&W 1917 in a shoulder holster. It was issued, and they actually had a choice where he was of auto or revolver, and he was a wheel gun guy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/NORTEXED/PopinDoor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/NORTEXED/TheJoker2.jpg

sholling
December 17, 2007, 03:27 PM
NORTEXED,
You should be (and I'm sure you are) very proud of your dad. China spent some time tracking down Hump pilots during the 80s for decoration. I'm not sure if that extended to crews but I would sure hope so.

NORTEXED
December 17, 2007, 04:22 PM
Very proud indeed. In his later years, he suffered an acute hearing loss that the Dr. said was the result of his time in subfreezing temps, in an unpressurized plane over the Hump. Yet, he never saw his service as any more than what any American would do. He was a great Dad, who as we all thought "could fix anything".

Scorpion46
December 17, 2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the memories...great posts.

My father was in the 1st Marine Division. On Okinawa, he carried the issued 1911 but also his personal 1917 in a shoulder holster. He always said that he didn't trust the magazines in the 1911 but had great faith in the revolver.

All of us have lots to be proud of....our fathers and grandfathers.

Semper Fi!

SamHouston
December 17, 2007, 08:59 PM
My grandfather was an old rancher / cowboy that packed parachutes for fliers during the war. There is many a time I wonder if he saw todays news what he would think about current events and the strength of the people.