PDA

View Full Version : Thick patches for B/P Round ball matches.

Spade Cooley
December 14, 2007, 07:09 AM
I'm trying to hunt up some thick pre oiled patches for my Round ball Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 54 Caliber. The thickest I can find is the .20 sold by track of the wolf. They load too easy. Is there anyone making a thicker one that you know of? Maybe I need to go to a larger ball.

sundance44s
December 14, 2007, 07:39 AM
You might want to try some .535 balls I`ve gone to them this year in my 54 cal .useing pillow ticking patches I buy by the yard at Walley world and cut and lube myself ..pillow ticking thickness varies a bit what I`m getting runs between .020 and .018 thick . The .535 balls really tightened my groups though . I found the balls at Sportsmans warehouse and tried them before I ordered a mold to cast my own .

arcticap
December 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
Maybe you can find the right combination of pre-lubed patches.
Just add the thicknesses together and then double that number to find the total thickness added to the diameter of the ball.

A .020 patch adds .040 thickness to the ball diameter.
A .020 patch plus a .005 adds .050 of total thickness to the ball diameter.
A .020 patch plus a .010 adds .060 of total thickness to the ball diameter.
A .020 patch plus a .015 adds .070 of total thickness to the ball diameter.

Many folks who shoot larger caliber smoothbores like to use looser balls and thicker denim patch material for easier loading in a fouled barrel. Bring a micrometer with you to the material shop and find the right 100% cotton material, and just buy a small sample to try first. Sometimes you can find just the right cloth. Then rub or microwave it with some bore butter, or add your favorite liquid patch lubricant to it, whether that's pure mink oil or some other commercial product.

Pahoo
December 14, 2007, 02:51 PM
Switch balls as some documentation suggests that you get better results with a thinner patch and if you thnk about it, it makes sense. In the end, you have to determine what works best for you. Most of the time, I use .015 but listen to the rifle and have gone to .018. The patch is not a seal, it acts more like a gasket and there is some leakage. Again, consistency is the key to great shooting !!!

Spade Cooley
December 15, 2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks!
I went with the larger ball idea and ordered 200 535s. I might try getting a patch cutter and start making my own. I have a laod of bees wax and can brew up a lube. I like pre lubed.

sundance44s
December 15, 2007, 09:23 AM
I wouldn`t waste the money on one of those round patch cutters ...I cut mine square and have tested them against the round cut ....it makes absolutely no difference , just get a good pair of sissors and cut them large enough to cover the size ball used ..too big works better than too small .
The patch cutter is a punch affair ..and a real pain in the arse .

Spade Cooley
December 15, 2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks,
I never thought of that. I have never seen anyone use square patches.

Hawg
December 15, 2007, 11:43 AM
I have never seen anyone use square patches.

It's pretty common.

Pahoo
December 15, 2007, 05:47 PM
Quite common for traditional shooters to cut a long strip of pillow ticking and sticking the end in their mouths. Thus, "Spit Patch". Load the wet end and cut a piece off at the muzzle with a patch knife. Patch is square or rectangular. Cut as you load. That's old school loading and spit isn't very consistant. As sundance44s stated, it does not effect the projectile at all. I like Bore Butter patches but have made my own lube and only out of animal fats. Be safe !!!

sundance44s
December 16, 2007, 07:10 AM
Look at the price of those pre cut round patches ..then look at the price of pillow ticking by the yard at Walley World ..
It only takes a min to cut 100 square patches out of pillow ticking . it even has lines on it to follow . I buy material and cut my own cleaning patches too , something ya use a lot of with black powder guns . It`s just part of the do it your self in black powder shooting ..Nothing like takeing a whitetail useing balls cast at home and your own patches and lubes .

CraigC
December 16, 2007, 12:28 PM
I find it odd that with a 0.020" patch they are 'easy' to load. I use a .535" Speer ball and T/C .018" pillow ticking pre-lubed patches and there ain't nothing easy about it. It does shoot one ragged hole at 70yds though.

lonewolf5348
December 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
Walmart material section has the blue and white pillow patch material runs around .017 3 yards is about $5.00 bucks last a life time of shooting.
I would also recommend a wonder wad under the patched RB for a better seal:My lube mix is 60/40 beeswax and lard (no salt) and a tablespoon of olive oil pre-cut patches and then dipped.

Pahoo
December 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
lonewolf5348

Thanks for the info and have never seen this exact recipe. Will have to try it and might ask if you find it getting rancid after a time. Will also look into the Walmat ticking. Is it pure cotton or linen?? I allso use the wonder wad as a buffer on hotter loads. I always check my patches for ball contact. Thanks again.

sundance44s
December 17, 2007, 09:26 AM
One thing I forgot to mention about buying your pillow ticking by the yard , be sure to wash and dry it before you cut patches out of it ..it has sizeing on it from the mill to keep the wrinkles out ...washes off easy , one wash .