PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Arms 9mm upper

TNT
December 2, 2007, 02:13 AM
I was thinking to get myself one when I get home, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one they may have or fired. I liked the fact that the exsisting lower reciever could be used with no mods done to the trigger group the magazines looked a little awkward but I could live with that. I was wanting something so that I didn't have to change the trigger group.

VUPDblue
December 2, 2007, 05:03 AM
The biggest thing I don't like about the Olympic is that they use the modified Sten mags. I think the Colt style system is better because of the wide variety of high-quality and reliability of mags available. YMMV

TNT
December 3, 2007, 04:20 AM
thanks for the input

blume357
December 3, 2007, 06:25 AM
I'd drop the 12-15 hundred for the pure colt 9mm and be done with it. Saw one at a local gun store last week.

(I'm just getting into this AR mess and it sure is a slippery slope)

shaggy
December 3, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'd go for a Colt or Colt type (RRA) rather than the Oly. I've had both types of 9mm uppers and much prefer the Colt type to anything else. While the Oly worked, I was not impressed with the flimsy looking wire-spring they use for an ejector. They may hold up fine over the long term, but I didn't like the looks of it. The mag well blocks to use sten mags in the Oly didn't impress me either. If you forget and hit the mag release on the side of the receiver (as you would if you were shooting 5.56), you'll drop both the 9mm mag thats in the gun as well as the mag blocks. Further, my Oly looked as if they had put a 5.56 bolt head through a milling machine to make a 9mm, while the Colt was obviously made for 9mm from the beginning.

Colt 9mm mags do suck, and are way overpriced for such crappy mags. Sten mags, OTOH, are far less expensive and far more sturdy, but I'd still go for a Colt type conversion. Look into the VM-hytec mag blocks to use standard uzi mags with a colt style conversion.

VUPDblue
December 3, 2007, 07:29 PM
Look into the VM-hytec mag blocks to use standard uzi mags with a colt style conversion.

Or look into a Hahn or RRA type top-loading block so you can utilize the new C-Products stainless steel Colt-pattern mags. They are well-built and very reliable, but not over-priced like the genuine Colts.

TNT
December 4, 2007, 08:51 AM
I might take that route but I just find it hard to justify the 1400 for another rifle and no offense for a colt no less I feel like I am paying more for the name than I am the product