PDA

View Full Version : Para Ordnance WartHog .45

ZEBRARANGER
November 21, 2007, 11:06 PM
I was looking at this Warthog .45 LNIB & liked it. The main reason was that it was a .45 in the smallest package that I had ever seen. Asking price is $650.00, is that a fair price?
I dont know much about Para Ordnance and their handguns and cant find much info on the WartHog online. Function? Reliability? I own several handguns from Walthers to Colts to Rugers, but no experience with Para. Anyone with any experience with it? or any reviews would greatly be appreciated.

sbob63
November 22, 2007, 10:30 PM
I had the P10, early version of the Warthog...great gun...it's basicaly a hicap Officers Model with 10+1 vs 7+1.

I know a guy that carries it, and he likes it, with the right holster, being so short, it might carry really well for you. Being a 1911, you can work on it, make it 'your' gun.

It's a little on the wide side, and hard to shoot, being so short, but some do well with it. Reliable, sure....

senior
November 22, 2007, 10:40 PM
I had one and got rid of it, fired well but grip was just to short and recoil would pound into the middle of my hand to the point that after a few rds i would catch myself flinching expecting the slap, not only short grip, but back where it fits into the hand seems to have an almost sharp edge

wolfmann
November 22, 2007, 10:41 PM
1911forum.com
They have a para section there,and the para rep sometimes comes on there also.

Playboypenguin
November 22, 2007, 10:48 PM
I am always a bit hesitant about two stack small pistols. They seem to always have minor feed problems. I hear that the new Warthogs no longer suffer from this but I am a bit gun shy of this format.

That is why I bought the single stack SlimHawg model. Same gun with a single stack mag.

cold dead hands
November 22, 2007, 11:41 PM
sbob is almost right. The Para officers model is the P12. 3 1/2'' barrel and and double stack mag in a fat officer's height and length frame. I have a first generation P12 and it rocks! The P10 is just like the WartHog except that it is Para's first attempt at sub compact 1911's. They Came in 9mm, .40S&W (wish WartHogs would, Para has no plan to make .40 version again) and .45acp. Stainless steel, parkerized and alloy were your choices. There were problems with the P10 line and it was dropped pending further research and refinement.

Years later the WartHog seems to be what Para had tried to do with the P10 line. Available in stainless or alloy frame with ''Paracoat".

I bought a 1st gen (.45 only back then) WartHog and it really is my favorite hand gun. It has been flawless from shot #1!!! I paid a bit over $800 brand new. In fact the first gen models didn't even come with the larger pinkie finger grip floor plate. If I decide to get some they do not cost too much, but I would have preferred not to have to buy them at all. Oh, well.

Now they make a 9mm with 12+1 if you prefer, but I have no need for that. If 10+1 (plus that 14 round reload, all Para high cap mag fit the Hog) rounds of.45acp don't solve my problems then that is the day I am destined to die.

The lack of recoil is unbelievable for such a small gun and accuracy is dead on. I have heard that the SS models have even less recoil due to the frame not being alloy. I plan to get one some day just because I think it looks cool. I also plan to buy a P14. That that is the Para version of a government model. 14+1 and 5'' barrel in SS makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Can you tell I love Para?

Niantician
November 23, 2007, 01:10 AM
I just bought a used one a few weeks ago. If you dont get a magazine with the pinky thing, buy some on ebay. I also put the hogue wraparound finger groove grips on. Now it feels almost as good as my Taurus. Mine is a great gun (notice I said "mine" because yours or someone else's my not be.) I hate the sights, they're hard to see at 15ft so I'm getting Novak sights soon. Very good ambi safety. It's heavy so it soaks up recoil well. Even shooting +p. It was my first 1911 so I was a little nervous about carryiing it cocked and locked but after taking it apart and examining the quality, and researching the topic here on TFL, I totally trust it.

even11
November 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
I don't have the wart hog but I have the P12 and it is my nightstand gun. Very reliable, more than combat accurate, and an amazing trigger from the factory!! Mines a earlier model that had a problem with the extractor ejecting brass every which way, so I had that replaced and haven't looked back. The newer ones have the Power extractor which is an improved design that doesn't have this problem.

I'm a big Para fan too, as they stand behind their firearms like no other company I've dealt with. I'd recommend them to anyone!!

-Dane