PDA

View Full Version : are the browning BAR's worth the money?

chuckmatlock
November 17, 2007, 09:49 AM
I am looking for a BAR in .270 but they seem quite expensive, are they worth it?

Art Eatman
November 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
I don't guess I've ever heard a bad comment about them in all the years they've been in production. My only objection is the weight, but that's just me.

The gist of it all is that they're an accurate semi-auto, and quite reliable. I've never shot one, so I can't comment about the trigger's quality.

FWIW, Art

chuckmatlock
November 17, 2007, 11:08 AM
can't seem to make up my mind, big price difference though.

Scorch
November 17, 2007, 01:07 PM
The Brownings have a solid reputation for accuracy and durability. Although I also think they are a bit heavy, I love BARs.

TreyNC
November 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
I have and old one my grandfather had. It's on target every time and I have taken many deer with it. It is even heavier than the newer ones. The only complaint I have about the BAR is that Browning doesn't make guns, BAR's are not American made. Can't say this is true for the current year production run, but I bet they say made in Japan.

Dirty_Harry
November 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
My father has one in .308. It is an extremely nice rifle, accurate, nice fit and finish, and handy. The trigger is ok as triggers go, his is an older model so they might have improved them over the years.

Also have you looked at the Remingtons? I would get the BAR or the Remington, the winnies just have not been out as long.

Gewehr98
November 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
Or they might say "Made in Belgium" like mine, or even "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal".

My 1969 Belgian BAR in .30-06 will go with me to my dirt nap. I'll need a big casket, but it's been a real sweetheart of a rifle to me. ;)

http://mauser98.com/barbenchweaverright2.jpg

TreyNC
November 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
Mine is a '68 with the engraving on the side. "Made in Belgium" is what it says. How's you trigger Gewehr98, mine is crap. Never noticed until I decided to try for some bench rest shooting just to see what it would do. I also cannot find a gunsmith in my area to boot.

Gewehr98
November 19, 2007, 02:27 PM
Crisp, around 3.5-4lbs, no problem.

I do clean my BAR upside-down, though. It's an old trick that I learned which keeps the gunk out of the lockwork where I would imagine it could affect trigger pull. ;)